Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET  (Read 36482 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2022, 03:48:36 PM »
The foam rubber earpieces have arrived today and my only regret is that I haven't known of them earlier.

They are much gentler to my ears and the full bass is there without having to push them back inside every few minutes. I've just listened to about 2 1/2 hours of music without any discomfort. What fun!

These are the plugs I'm using:

https://klimtechs.com/shop/earphones/klim-earphone-earbuds/

Size: 4.5 mm.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »
I use Comply buds and indeed the difference is significant.  The same ones fit my Roland binaural earphones also. 

Comply Isolation 400
(Size: Medium (3 Pairs), WaxGuard™: Yes)

Not cheap but the difference makes them worthwhile in terms of sound and staying in place.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »
I use Comply buds and indeed the difference is significant.  The same ones fit my Roland binaural earphones also. 

Comply Isolation 400
(Size: Medium (3 Pairs), WaxGuard™: Yes)

Not cheap but the difference makes them worthwhile in terms of sound and staying in place.

Thanks for the recommendation! 

3 pairs are included in this set:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NUJ2RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »
A nice find today, FWIW: apparently it’s possible to record audio from the Ambeo headset into Metarecorder (24/88.2/caf) while SIMULTANEOUSLY filming with the camera app (on iPhoneSE) with audio from Ambeo.

Cool :-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:33:33 PM by heva »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2022, 09:27:10 AM »
Cool - I'll see if that works in some way with an Android phone.

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 07:58:07 PM »
are you guys using the Sennheiser/Apogee app, or the Apogee app?...  (iPhone)

Is there a difference? one better?

Or is there a better app?

I picked up a set. White are $50. I think I'm going to paint the headset almond to match better w/ skin & the cable flat black, from the V down, so it'll match my black shirt...
my 2¢...

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 09:15:33 PM »
Ok, I see that, you get both & they work together...

I got it working, & I cranked some music & recoded a track. Sounds thin, through the headphones, but sounds boomy & loose in the low end, through the monitors on the 'puter (Yamaha studio monitors).

But, the way everyone's going w/ double & triple security around here, this might be the trick, if they even don't catch these.

If I get some tunes I'll share...
my 2¢...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2022, 05:51:26 AM »
The replay sound via the headset is very dependent on getting a good fit in the ear - you'll see some references to Comply ear tips in recent posts in this thread.  This can transform the low end, and it also helps keep the headset tight in the ears when recording.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2022, 09:58:25 AM »
Sounds thin, through the headphones...

That's why they come with earplugs of various sizes. You'll have to experiment and they need to sit really really tight in your ears. So tight, that they usually become uncomfortable after a time. That's why people are using them with 3rd party foam earplugs.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2022, 09:30:48 PM »
thanks for the info...

a couple of questions. I have it save to CAF at 96/24. Then, I have it convert to m4a & it comes out 48/24. I don't have any settings for it to change the sample freq. Is there anything I can do, or, just open the CAF in Audacity & straight convert?

I'm not using the earphones for listening, as I'll load the files & listen on the computer. Does the ear fit affect the recording (noticeably)?
my 2¢...

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2022, 02:35:25 PM »
Does the ear fit affect the recording (noticeably)?

No, it doesn't.

Ralf

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2022, 05:19:39 PM »
Does the ear fit affect the recording (noticeably)?

No, it doesn't.

Ralf
thanks, I didn't think it would, but, some designs, you never know...
my 2¢...

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2022, 05:25:31 PM »
so, I used the headset on the iPhone yesterday.

W/ the Apogee Concert setting, w/ no input fader, it was grossly clipping throughout...

(red = clipping)

interestingly, the 96kHz/24bit CAF file, has some clarity to it still, but some points the distortion is beyond fix. I ran it through the audacity "clip fix" 2 x's. It still showed about as much clipping on the wave form.

It's definitely listenable, but sad, that it could have been better, if it allowed you to choose a static input level, below the peaks. I'm guessing that it has some sort of compression/limiter built in, because the file looks/sounds like a radio program, in that regards.

I always thought that Apogee was a high end digital company, but, I this they failed on this one...

Not sure if the mic's themselves were at clipping point (doubt it), but, there should be no clipping - that's amateurish, IMO.

Have you guys tried any of the binaural decoders?

anyway, here's a track, that I did the clip fix (x's 2) & normalized & did some other EQ, compression, etc. I'm getting pretty well, at using compression for EQ, rather than EQ. When doing EQ, I tend to favor parametric, over graphic, but, lately, I've been using frequency banded compression/limiter. Even so, I end up w/ more dynamic range than the original, in this case...

https://soundcloud.com/user-722922293/hallowed-be-live

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:44:20 PM by Paul »
my 2¢...

Offline tonyjuliano

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Grumpy Santa
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2022, 08:32:47 PM »
The Ambeo headset has a stated max SPL of around 118, I believe.  Judging from the recording, I assume you were clipping at the hardware level, before you even got to Apogee.

The iPhone simply cant supply enough voltage to the mic to overcome high SPL.

Definitely not the mic for super loud concerts, I wouldn’t put poor choice of mic for the given application at the feet of Apogee.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 08:36:18 PM by tonyjuliano »

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2022, 03:06:47 AM »
well, you can say what you want but...

when I unplugged the ambisonics, the internal mic was clipping hotter than the ambisonics. My brother, recorded video, using the internal iPhone mic & had zero distortion...

The headset, is made w/ a collaboration between Sennheiser & Apogee. Sennheiser did the mic's/buds & possibly the shell for the earpiece. Apogee did the electronics, the app's, interface, etc.

Not sure how Apogee is absent from any blame...

The clipping is definitely internal, & not necessarily from the capsule overloading.

It bugs me, that Apple can do it right, but Apogee/Sennheiser can not.

I used to record band music w/ a $15 Radio Shack electret mic (back in the '80s) & didn't get any distortion like this. This is clipping, plain & simple. Apogee decided that an internal pad of so many db was sufficient, it says "for concerts", but it falls short. They also have some sort of soft compression/limiting, but, it also isn't good enough...

Still, $50, you get what you pay for...

Maybe if someone devised a battery box w/ a signal attenuator, these things would be really good.

The Zoom H2n would have handled this w/o batting an eye, w/ it's internal mic's...
my 2¢...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com