Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam Portacapture X8  (Read 17968 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tascam Portacapture X8
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
What are the actual dimensions without the microphones?
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2022, 03:57:48 PM »
Now if I can find a ruler...
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2022, 06:30:47 PM »

I'll introduce you to my wife. :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »

I'll introduce you to my wife. :)

Happily married to Anthony Ellis?
https://youtu.be/BXQ0RxJYrfs
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2022, 11:18:52 AM »
Ok, took this deck out for practice yesterday. Some thoughts and impressions:

1. Hold button - as mentioned above, turning on the hold also locks out the cell phone controller. Hopefully could be fixed via firmware update.
2. Naming the recorder - I'd like to be able to rename the recorder so you could run two at the same time and have corresponding phone controllers. As a reference, this can be done on the Zoom F8, which also has a recorder specific bluetooth login code. I have a laughable image of several tapers using this recorder in a close area, and everybody trying to lock into their recorder and instead getting their neighbors.
3. Inputs - To recap, there's the two detachable mics at the top, 4x xlr/trs combo jacks, and then the 1/8" input on the side. It has an option for routing the inputs to the recording channels. HOWEVER, if you are using the 1/8" input, it bypasses the 3rd + 4th xlr/trs input. There is no way to override the detachable mics input instead. So in effect, this is a recorder that is 4x channel plus 2x mics, not a 6x channel recorder. I guess technically you could take 1/8" input, split it to left and right, and plug it into the inputs on the top (although I don't think you can turn off the plug-in power).

#3 is a dealbreaker for me. I wanted this recorder as an upgrade to the Zoom H6, which allows for six line level channels, not a gimmick of four channels plus internal mics. If #1 and #3 issues can't be fixed by a firmware update, then I'm returning/selling off this recorder. Might roll the dice on the awkward Zoom H8, which at least allows you to do ten inputs.
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »
Will never happen, but I still dream of a DR2d successor of about the same size, capable of recording 6 (or better 8 ) input channels via incorporation of one or two additional 3.5mm stereo inputs jacks.  Every time a new recorder like this comes out, that is my point of comparison.  Keep it small, and I'll provide my own mics and the powering for them, thank you.  Easily doable, just no market for such a thing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 02:43:11 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 12:44:11 PM »
Will never happen, but I still dream of a DR2d successor of about the same size, capable of recording 6 (or better 8) input channels via incorporation of one or two additional 3.5mm stereo inputs jacks.  Every time a new recorder like this comes out, that is my point of comparison.  Keep it small, and I'll provide my own mics and the powering for them, thank you.  Easily doable, just no market for such a thing.

You and me both. I'd love a 2D with just a small little array of 4x 1/8" inputs and cell phone controls. The technology is there now but like you said, no market.

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2022, 07:45:50 PM »
Here's a new review on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/_HSZbX5fT4Q

I am particularly troubled by the hum clearly visible in the spectral analysis.  It seems it is occurring with all units.  Not terribly optimistic that this is a FW resolvable problem.  They'll likely be able to filter it out with software, but that's not really a fix, more of the mask of the issue.

Any thoughts from the pros here?  Do you see the same hum if you analyze your files, hoserama?

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 11:32:34 AM »
I am thinking of cancelling my 8X order because of this.  Not really a logical reaction given my experience with other, external, ultra-high hum, if the preamps are otherwise good, but it's harder to get good comps on the preamps, while this hum is obviously sticking out.

Pre-Covid, when I was doing high resolution chamber music recording weekly for a local concert series, I started seeing (in SD, Sonosax, and other recorders) a hum at above 30 kHz that turned out to be likely caused by the hall's motion-detecting ultrasonic system.  For a while I insisted on attenuating it out in iZotope (even though for the archival CDs I made for the organizers it was not going to show up), but eventually I ended up just ignoring it.  Many (but not all) concert halls have nearer to 20 kHz hums of some sort, clearly visible in 96 kHz recordings, that I don't try to extinguish. Yet...

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »
Glad I canceled my order! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 06:08:00 PM »
Will never happen, but I still dream of a DR2d successor of about the same size, capable of recording 6 (or better 8 ) input channels via incorporation of one or two additional 3.5mm stereo inputs jacks.  Every time a new recorder like this comes out, that is my point of comparison.  Keep it small, and I'll provide my own mics and the powering for them, thank you.  Easily doable, just no market for such a thing.

Are you imagining that those 3.5 mm inputs would be stereo inputs, or a single balanced input each? You could do this in a compact format and still have all balanced inputs if you used 4 of the 7-pin connectors such as Sonosax used on their MINIR82. Then you just use a breakout Y-cable such as what Jon would supply with the Tinybox. (Side note - I never understood why Sonosax used those connectors for a single channel each, when they could have used a 3-pin miniXLR or TA4.)
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 07:22:54 PM »

Are you imagining that those 3.5 mm inputs would be stereo inputs, or a single balanced input each? You could do this in a compact format and still have all balanced inputs if you used 4 of the 7-pin connectors such as Sonosax used on their MINIR82. Then you just use a breakout Y-cable such as what Jon would supply with the Tinybox. (Side note - I never understood why Sonosax used those connectors for a single channel each, when they could have used a 3-pin miniXLR or TA4.)

Well, we can ride the imagination train on down the line to any station before eventually crossing the border of impracticality. 

Unbalanced stereo inputs work fine for me, and 4 mini-jacks instead of the existing 2 (supporting 8 total channels) wouldn't require a change in recorder size.  Or, just one additional in support of 6 channels.

Sure, I'd prefer a locking multi-pin mini-XLR input (a multi-pin mini-XLR breaking out to a pair of stereo mini-plugs is what I use currently for 4 channels into the DR2d).  One mini-XLR would be sufficient for 6 unbalanced channels.  Might take two of them for 8 channels as I don't think a mini-XLR is available with more than 8 pins and one must be ground.

A standard computer-style 9-pin D-sub connector may be the better option.  It would handle 8 in compactly + shield in a more compact format, and is well proven, being a smaller version of the multichannel D-sub breakouts ubiquitous on all kinds of professional audio gear.

If I'm allowed to reach a bit further I'd include adjustable gain mic-preamps on all channels with 6 or 9V PIP, eliminating the need for external preamps / battery boxes. 

All that is reasonable and well within the borders of practicality.  Balanced and phantom seems more of a stretch without increasing size of the recorder to accommodate 8 additional pins in, along with the likelihood of needing additional batteries.

Thanks for the OT flight of fancy.  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 07:27:24 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2022, 07:38:53 PM »
Ok, took this deck out for practice yesterday. Some thoughts and impressions:

1. Hold button - as mentioned above, turning on the hold also locks out the cell phone controller. Hopefully could be fixed via firmware update.
2. Naming the recorder - I'd like to be able to rename the recorder so you could run two at the same time and have corresponding phone controllers. As a reference, this can be done on the Zoom F8, which also has a recorder specific bluetooth login code. I have a laughable image of several tapers using this recorder in a close area, and everybody trying to lock into their recorder and instead getting their neighbors.
3. Inputs - To recap, there's the two detachable mics at the top, 4x xlr/trs combo jacks, and then the 1/8" input on the side. It has an option for routing the inputs to the recording channels. HOWEVER, if you are using the 1/8" input, it bypasses the 3rd + 4th xlr/trs input. There is no way to override the detachable mics input instead. So in effect, this is a recorder that is 4x channel plus 2x mics, not a 6x channel recorder. I guess technically you could take 1/8" input, split it to left and right, and plug it into the inputs on the top (although I don't think you can turn off the plug-in power).

#3 is a dealbreaker for me. I wanted this recorder as an upgrade to the Zoom H6, which allows for six line level channels, not a gimmick of four channels plus internal mics. If #1 and #3 issues can't be fixed by a firmware update, then I'm returning/selling off this recorder. Might roll the dice on the awkward Zoom H8, which at least allows you to do ten inputs.

All of this is a total bummer. I looked at this deck and thought it would be right up my alley but I guess not. I'm going to keep saving and looking I guess. The SD Mixpre10 gets more attractive every day.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »
Some further test input in the comments to Marcel's youtube video linked above:

"Jarord
2 hours ago (edited)
 @Free To Use Sounds  Ok, I did a few tests and here’s what I’m seeing in Spectralayers 8 w/ 32bit/192kHz recordings from the Portacapture X8.

Stock Tascam capsules inputs 1 & 2:
   Input 1: Random “waterfalls” of artifacts beginning off the spectrum falling down to about ~30kHz. NO LINES
   Input 2: Random “waterfalls” of artifacts beginning off the spectrum falling down to about ~30kHz. YES LINE at 25kHz

Clippy EM272, phantom power, XLR, default gain settings, inputs 3-6: GOOD. No lines or artifacts

Jez Riley French Electromagnetic/coil pick-ups recording my oven’s digital clock, 1/4” inputs 3-6:
   Input 3: GOOD
   Input 4: GOOD
   Input 5: LINE AT ~25kHz
   Input 6: LINE AT ~25kHz AND ~50kHz

Jez Riley French C-Series Pro Contact Mic: GOOD. No lines w/ 1/4" or w/ 1/4" to XLR impedance adaptor"

So it looks to me like the hum issue might be connected to particular mics at particular inputs.  Will have to check out my closet with this. 

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2022, 04:09:36 AM »
Reminds me of a whine in the dr100mk3 when using the builtin mics.
A jack in the headphone 1/8" fixes that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com