Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 70206 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2023, 04:21:19 PM »
Curious, Why not run straight into the F3 for a smaller foot print? 

Just had Nick make me a set if cables for this to go with my NBox.  Planning to try the F3 out when I get home

The F3 has very good preamps. There is no real need for external preamps.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2023, 05:30:19 PM »
Comp time!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2023, 08:08:50 PM »
Comp time!

Agreed! Let the ABX-ing commence!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2023, 12:20:16 AM »
I’ve ran a F3 once at an outdoor venue.. right next to the SBD. So it wasn’t necessarily perfect conditions, but decent.
Mikes > F3.
The recording sounds good.. but IMO.. it would have sounded better with a good external preamp.
But…... it was really slick to not have to worry about levels. YMMV.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2023, 08:35:13 AM »

Some folks just like their preamps. Also, taking phantom power off the load on the batteries will significantly increase runtime.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »
In addition to the nBox "flavor", another reason might be cabling. I guess it is probably easier/cheaper to get a short connect from the nBox to the recorder than to get new actives to go directly into the F3.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2023, 12:50:51 PM »

Some folks just like their preamps. Also, taking phantom power off the load on the batteries will significantly increase runtime.

Definitely true, but being able to power the F3 via usb-c also makes for pretty much endless runtime (even with a pretty small battery block).

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »
Trying to figure this thing out before running it for the first time in a couple of weeks.

In the lower left of both waveforms there is a "x1 / x2 /x4" ...etc. This appears to be the gain. I know levels on this thing don't matter that much, but want to confirm what the best setting is for a normal concert.

Won't be my main rig, so no biggie if I screw it up, but might as well make a decent recording. :D

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2023, 07:11:38 PM »
Trying to figure this thing out before running it for the first time in a couple of weeks.

In the lower left of both waveforms there is a "x1 / x2 /x4" ...etc. This appears to be the gain. I know levels on this thing don't matter that much, but want to confirm what the best setting is for a normal concert.

Won't be my main rig, so no biggie if I screw it up, but might as well make a decent recording. :D

when I first got the F3 I left it at x1 and just raised levels in post sometimes as much as 20dB
I now go with x2 and it seems I only raise levels 5-10dB

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2023, 07:59:48 PM »
just hit record and put it on lock if you want, the slide. The waveforms are only visualizations I think. Its called magnification so that you can see a signal. It will set the levels by itself. someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2023, 08:30:20 PM »
just hit record and put it on lock if you want, the slide. The waveforms are only visualizations I think. Its called magnification so that you can see a signal. It will set the levels by itself. someone correct me if I am wrong please.

NO... you have control of waveform BEFORE hitting record by using the menu

Offline voltronic

« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2023, 08:37:41 PM »
The user manual doesn't really make it clear, but Darby is correct. You are in fact adjusting the recorded level. The good news is that you really can't mess up your levels recording with this kind of system (so long as you don't overload the input stage, which is unlikely).
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2023, 08:25:21 AM »

NO... you have control of waveform BEFORE hitting record by using the menu

My mistake, thanks for the clarification. I keep mine set pretty high so that I can see it in the field. My files are always with some red and need normalization. This video spells it out better than the manual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?source_ve_path=Mjg2NjQsMTY0NTAz&feature=emb_share&v=Jh34nsTETBI
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 08:26:53 AM by BlueSky71 »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2023, 03:53:22 PM »
The user manual doesn't really make it clear, but Darby is correct. You are in fact adjusting the recorded level. The good news is that you really can't mess up your levels recording with this kind of system (so long as you don't overload the input stage, which is unlikely).
I know this is splitting hairs and makes no difference, but the Zoom F3 sets the gain, you set the faders which is the finished product either up or down if needed. To quote the speaker in the Zoom video, "I'll use the waveform magnifier as a fader to adjust the level of audio in headphones and on the recorded file"

The words "fader" and "recorded file" at least imply that the magnifier is working on a file after recording. Again, it really does not matter in the 32 bit float world, but I'm just relaying what the speaker is saying. And I know Sound Devices does let you set gain, but the Zoom 2, 3 and 6 (maybe Zoom 8xx, I do not have that deck) set gain and you adjust the faders. You are adjusting the (already) recorded file.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline voltronic

« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2023, 06:13:08 PM »
I know this is splitting hairs and makes no difference, but the Zoom F3 sets the gain, you set the faders which is the finished product either up or down if needed. To quote the speaker in the Zoom video, "I'll use the waveform magnifier as a fader to adjust the level of audio in headphones and on the recorded file"

The words "fader" and "recorded file" at least imply that the magnifier is working on a file after recording. Again, it really does not matter in the 32 bit float world, but I'm just relaying what the speaker is saying. And I know Sound Devices does let you set gain, but the Zoom 2, 3 and 6 (maybe Zoom 8xx, I do not have that deck) set gain and you adjust the faders. You are adjusting the (already) recorded file.

I chose my words carefully when I said "recorded level" because the preamp gain is indeed fixed on the new F series if recording in 32-bit float mode (the only option on the F3).

The portion of the Zoom video you quote doesn't make it any clearer than the manual, unfortunately. No levels are being adjusted after it is recorded. What the "waveform adjustment" AKA faders are actually doing is adjusting the level post-ADC, and then that adjusted data is written to the file. See the last page of the F3 manual where the block diagram indicates exactly where that adjustment is happening.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com