Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 68007 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
Not having used the F3 myself, I just assumed it would had the capability to accept the same directly-attachable Zoom mics that are compatible with all other F-series recorders.

That said, I've no idea of the quality of the directly-attachable Zoom microphones.

That connector is absent on the F6 as well. They could have fit it, but instead gave it an NP-F battery connector (which was a great decision, IMHO).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Agreed.  I didn't know the F6 lacks it.. and am surprised the NP-F battery connector change didn't carry over to the F8nPro.  I can't see many users using the Zoom mic modules with an F8, even with the cable extender, and expect most would prefer an NP-F battery connector.  I could see it being useful if the channels though that connector could be recorded to the stereo mix channel instead of an internal mix, effectively making the recorder capable of recording 10 inputs (like the Tascam's DR-680, who's digital input can be routed to the stereo channel, effectively making that recorder capable of recording 8 input channels)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2022, 06:35:48 PM »
Indeed I'm aware that the missing element is MS monitoring, as you can actually record MS on anything with two channels, but for me in the context of classical music recording, placement of MS mics is critical (well, as with any other mic technique) and if I can't check that I've got it correct using dematrixed rehearsal playback, then it's a problem.   It's really surprising to me that this simple thing was omitted on release as it's a common technique for film/tv which this device seems to be marketed for.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2022, 07:33:19 AM »
Indeed I'm aware that the missing element is MS monitoring, as you can actually record MS on anything with two channels, but for me in the context of classical music recording, placement of MS mics is critical (well, as with any other mic technique) and if I can't check that I've got it correct using dematrixed rehearsal playback, then it's a problem.   It's really surprising to me that this simple thing was omitted on release as it's a common technique for film/tv which this device seems to be marketed for.

You have mentioned this before - have you contacted Zoom tech support asking if it can be included in a firmware update?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2022, 09:48:52 AM »
I've also mentioned that here with regard to the F8, and have emailed Zoom support a couple times about it's M/S implementation deficiencies, but never heard back from them.  On the F8 it works fine for monitoring while recording, but is far from ideal for playback.  If one has previously recorded raw Mid and Side channels, M/S playback matrixing to L/R is routed post-fader, with no ability to adjust playback level or ratio.  Wish they would fix that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
I wrote to Zoom customer service in the US about adding a simple M-S decoding mode to the F3 headphone monitor signal path. I received a response within a few hours stating they would forward the request to the software engineers in Japan for consideration in an upcoming firmware revision. I believe they are responsive, but only time will tell if the people that decide these things hear and act on that request.

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
Zoom F3 and Sony a7R camera
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2022, 07:23:37 AM »
Last week, I finally got the Zoom F3 recorder.
Now my AT822 mic picks up powerful, solid and detailed sound. :-)
However, I connected the Zoom F3's Line out and Sony a7R IV camera's Mic in with a -25db attenuator cable, but only buzz sound came out.
Do I need a stronger attenuator cable like -35db?
Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F3 and Sony a7R camera
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
The Zoom F3 has a built-in line output attenuator that can go as low as -48db. No attenuator cable should be necessary. Reading the (Version 2.0) manual from page 41 describes the setup process along with a way to calibrate the gain structure.

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F3 and Sony a7R camera
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »
Yes, I know. However, even when it is reduced to -48db, only a strange sound comes out of the Sony headphone jack.
I tried connecting the line out of the Zoom F3 to the line in of the R-05 recorder and it worked.  ???
Thanks.
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
I wonder if the mic input on the camera has plug-in-power enabled? The voltage present on the jack terminals could be upsetting the output of the F3. I could not quickly find a manual for your camera, but there should be a menu setting for plug-in-power (P-I-P), in the external audio input section. I can’t think why else there would be an issue, assuming the camera mic input is a standard stereo 3.5mm input jack.

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2022, 05:53:00 AM »
I found the cause of the problem.

- https://www.amazon.com/Woisco-Charging-15000mAh-Portable-External/dp/B09K42VFN5/

I connected USB-C and USB-A from the RAVPower 15,000 mAh USB-C Portable Power Bank to power the Zoom recorder and Sony camera.
The strange noise comes when both devices are powered from the same power bank.
However, when only one device is connected, there is no noise. :P
Thanks for all the replies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:01:53 AM by gihl »
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2022, 05:04:14 PM »
I wrote to Zoom customer service in the US about adding a simple M-S decoding mode to the F3 headphone monitor signal path. I received a response within a few hours stating they would forward the request to the software engineers in Japan for consideration in an upcoming firmware revision. I believe they are responsive, but only time will tell if the people that decide these things hear and act on that request.

There was a bug in Zoom's Ambisoncs Player for the H3-VR with the rear channels missing on playing back B-format as 5.1. Having had the experience that their German importers are totally hopeless, I contacted Zoom USA. They asked for example files and screenshots, told me they'd be forwarding everything to Japan, and a few weeks later informed me that there was a new version of the software and would I please check. I checked and everything was fine. Then I looked in the version history and found that they had issued a new release for one single problem... my bug report. Now, if that isn't responsive I don't know what would be.
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2022, 10:17:56 PM »
Newsshooter just published a comprehensive review of the F3 that might be useful for presumptive buyers.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/08/02/zoom-f3-review/

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »

There was a bug in Zoom's Ambisoncs Player for the H3-VR with the rear channels missing on playing back B-format as 5.1. Having had the experience that their German importers are totally hopeless, I contacted Zoom USA. They asked for example files and screenshots, told me they'd be forwarding everything to Japan, and a few weeks later informed me that there was a new version of the software and would I please check. I checked and everything was fine. Then I looked in the version history and found that they had issued a new release for one single problem... my bug report. Now, if that isn't responsive I don't know what would be.

Very good to hear. This gives me reason to hope the mid-side feature will appear in a future firmware update.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2022, 05:03:16 PM »
Newsshooter just published a comprehensive review of the F3 that might be useful for presumptive buyers.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/08/02/zoom-f3-review/

Very informative.  I need to put my hands on it.  I do not want XLRs since it is just something else to get in but most of the other things are appealing.  The UI would take an adjustment as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com