Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 67961 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2022, 05:49:29 PM »
The first concert recording with my friend's F3 did not go smoothly. As epic write failures go, this is one of the worst I've heard.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200929.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »
^ Any idea about the provenance of the card? It is my understanding that there are tons of fake cards out there. I am skittish about this to the extent that I only buy cards from big retailers, cost be damned...

Online voltronic

« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2022, 06:37:33 PM »
^ Any idea about the provenance of the card? It is my understanding that there are tons of fake cards out there. I am skittish about this to the extent that I only buy cards from big retailers, cost be damned...

Yes, there are a lot of counterfeits out there.  He sent me a screenshot from Amazon, but I can't say for sure if he used Amazon's authorized SanDisk store or a third-party seller.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2022, 06:42:57 PM »
^ Hopefully, it is just a bad card. It sucks to pull a recording onto the computer and see that it is messed up so badly...

Online voltronic

« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2022, 07:19:03 PM »
^ Hopefully, it is just a bad card. It sucks to pull a recording onto the computer and see that it is messed up so badly...

We're performing the same concert again in 2 weeks, but in a venue with much better acoustics. I already planned to run a 4-mic array there of my CM3s and 4061s, and I'll just add his Blumlein 414s to the last two channels of my F6. Maybe do line out of just his 414s into the F3 as a backup.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
^ That would be a great opportunity to try a new card in the F3! It seems unlikely that the recorder is at fault, since there haven't been any reports (that I have seen) about issues and I think there are quite a few out there. Lucky to have a second chance, too.

Online voltronic

« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2022, 07:34:37 PM »
^ That would be a great opportunity to try a new card in the F3! It seems unlikely that the recorder is at fault, since there haven't been any reports (that I have seen) about issues and I think there are quite a few out there. Lucky to have a second chance, too.

Yep. I was actually going to tell him to get a different card from the list regardless of what my testing showed. Maybe one of the Kingston Canvas Select cards - I have had flawless performance with those in my F6.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
Don’t forget that the F3 has an internal SD card test function that could help root out incompatible cards before committing important recordings to them. I’ve had zero card read/write issues with my F3 and a Zoom recommended card.

Online voltronic

« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2022, 09:49:19 AM »
Don’t forget that the F3 has an internal SD card test function that could help root out incompatible cards before committing important recordings to them. I’ve had zero card read/write issues with my F3 and a Zoom recommended card.

Just did that this morning, and it passed. Also reformatted. Right now I'm letting a recording run for a few hours to see if I can replicate the issue.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
prior to the error was the card formatted in the F3 or on another device/computer?

just thinking out of the box in regard to all possible culprits

Online voltronic

« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »
prior to the error was the card formatted in the F3 or on another device/computer?

just thinking out of the box in regard to all possible culprits

It's not my recorder or card, so I don't know what he did with it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »
Bummer, for what it is worth,

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS32GUSD300S-UHS-I-MicroSD-Memory/dp/B07CD9QYNM

This I have used in the field and sofar no problem. It is on the tested list from Zoom.

I remember from earlier threads from different recorder that it is wise to format in the recorder prior to recording. Something I always do. 
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Online voltronic

« Reply #282 on: October 26, 2022, 04:27:44 PM »
Bummer, for what it is worth,

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS32GUSD300S-UHS-I-MicroSD-Memory/dp/B07CD9QYNM

This I have used in the field and sofar no problem. It is on the tested list from Zoom.

I remember from earlier threads from different recorder that it is wise to format in the recorder prior to recording. Something I always do.

Thanks for the tip on that card. Crazy how cheap they have gotten.

Yes, I know to format in the recorder, but my friend that actually owns the F3 and is brand new to all this probably didn't know that.

In any case, I did a 2-hour test recording last night with his card freshly formatted and fully tested, and it had the same buffer underrun recording skips as the concert recording. I had him order the 128 GB Kingston card off the list, and we'll do a test with that one. Hopefully it's just the card and his F3 isn't borked.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2022, 04:50:35 PM »
In any case, I did a 2-hour test recording last night with his card freshly formatted and fully tested, and it had the same buffer underrun recording skips as the concert recording.

Same recorder for the test or a different one?

Online voltronic

« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
In any case, I did a 2-hour test recording last night with his card freshly formatted and fully tested, and it had the same buffer underrun recording skips as the concert recording.

Same recorder for the test or a different one?

Same recorder; same card. I send the F3 back to him last night and he's going to do a long recording when the new card gets there.

I was going to run all 6 of our mics into my F6 for the concert in two weeks and use his F3 as a backup, but I just discovered there is no TRS input. I have all the connectors to solder up an adapter cable, but not sure it's worth the trouble.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com