Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM vs Sony  (Read 3600 times)

Offline BradleyJY15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
TASCAM vs Sony
« on: March 26, 2022, 12:56:54 PM »
I want to get a  >:D rig setup.  You can see current rig in signature.  I need a small recorder and babynbox.

My question is: I have a TASCAM DR-05 as a backup.  Would this be as good as, say, a Sony A10? The TASCAM I have is a pretty cheap model.  I am not sure how much it matters when just going line in?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: TASCAM vs Sony
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 02:25:24 PM »
Line in with a babynbox?  I am running mic n to a DR-2D.  Line in when I use the NBox Platinum.

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »
Line in with a babynbox?  I am running mic n to a DR-2D.  Line in when I use the NBox Platinum.

So I would need to use mic in for a babynbox but can use line in for nbox platinum? I am ignorant of the differences in the nboxes.  I am trying to first figure out if I can use this DR-05 or if I should look for another recorder.  I would prefer the smallest nbox (baby?). Open to any suggestions. I know the A10 is hard to get right now.  Probably an nbox too.  I can be patient.

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
Wanting to do something like this.

I guess looking to confirm that this is a babynbox?

And recommended recorder (I know it is subjective)?

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 05:14:36 PM »
Yes, that's a Baby Nbox and you would need to run mic-in. Baby Nbox has no preamp, it is just for powering the caps.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
Yes, that's a Baby Nbox and you would need to run mic-in. Baby Nbox has no preamp, it is just for powering the caps.

That's what I am looking for...so with a BabyNbox the internal preamps from the recorder mean something...Got it.  and my DR-05 probably sucks.

So I need to find an small recorder with decent pre-amps for this setup.  I will dig through other threads to find options.

Thanks

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 07:39:34 PM »
I use Baby N Box with Sony PCM-M10 or Tascam DR-2d....both sound wonderful and super clean. :headphones:

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 08:38:30 PM »
The DR-05 is probably fine...A10's are pretty pricey and tough to come by these days. I mean, you certainly can upgrade - but I'm not sure there's a huge difference in sound quality between the two (with the same power/mics).

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 10:40:34 AM »

I usually run “audio in” using a10 with the baby nbox while  >:D
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »

I had a Tascam DR05 as an extra recorder for a while and while the preamp is not terrible it's not great either. I used it line in and it was fine. In this application the preamp section definitely matters as opposed to running line in where you are getting your gain from an Nbox that acts as power for the mics and also gives around 20dB of gain at line level.

If I had the coin invested in the mics that you have I would look for a small recorder with a better preamp - maybe a used Sony M10 or Marantz PMD620.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 06:26:27 PM »

I had a Tascam DR05 as an extra recorder for a while and while the preamp is not terrible it's not great either. I used it line in and it was fine. In this application the preamp section definitely matters as opposed to running line in where you are getting your gain from an Nbox that acts as power for the mics and also gives around 20dB of gain at line level.

If I had the coin invested in the mics that you have I would look for a small recorder with a better preamp - maybe a used Sony M10 or Marantz PMD620.

Good Info - Thanks

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 07:51:08 PM »
I know its older but happy with the results with the DR-2D.  Same is true with the Sony PCM-M10.  Older units but they do the job.  I have bought a bunch used on Ebay over the years in the $60-$100 price range.  Given the difficulty of getting an A-10 the DR-05 would suffice until you can get something better I would say.

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
I know its older but happy with the results with the DR-2D.  Same is true with the Sony PCM-M10.  Older units but they do the job.  I have bought a bunch used on Ebay over the years in the $60-$100 price range.  Given the difficulty of getting an A-10 the DR-05 would suffice until you can get something better I would say.
Thanks!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »
One more vote for the M-10. It has it's quirks for  >:D but with proper cabling and enough familiarity it can be a solid recorder. Folks like its' A/D chip for the pre-amps.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 01:37:28 PM »
 Know folks hate when I beat the Oade drum, but a modded m10 sounds great out of Schoeps>bnb>m10 mic in. The mods add dynamic range etc. and sound great imo. Score an M10 on eBay or here and send it to Mr. Oade, assuming he can get the chips right now.

I did run a few shows into a stock M10 mic in, and was very underwhelmed. But modded, wow.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com