Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure big ass wind screens  (Read 8379 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Shure big ass wind screens
« on: June 11, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
So I went to add these to my "make an offer yard sale" and when I opened the box they're in they were totally disintegrated. Any one ever have this happen? Stored in a box in a closet. Probably 20 years old.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 08:40:46 AM by ts »

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Shure big ass wind screens
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 11:10:25 PM »
I've definitely heard this happens. I check mine out about once a year to make sure they aren't shedding onto/into my mics when I use them.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 01:14:17 AM »
Yep, that’ll happen….

Offline hipporu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 04:41:23 AM »
This is the result of intentional or unintentional violation of manufacturing technology.
I've had RFT foam for forty years and it's as good as new.
At that time, Germany's chemical industry was the most advanced.
What is produced today I change in three years usually.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »

Same thing with a pair of DPA screens last year. They were maybe 6-7 years old. Got them out to use them and got black particles all over my desk.

I'll be more diligent about replacing screens every few years going forward.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »
IMO, ALL such foam products are suspect, especially older ones, from any manufacturer. Check any mic or gear boxes with foam inserts, too. I've seen foam rot from Bruel & Kjaer, Neumann, Audio Technica etc.

Sometimes it turns to dry dust, and sometimes it turns to sticky goo, which is especially a pain to clean up. I regularly check my various foam products by just squeezing them - if they feel tacky and less springy, the end is near. If you don't want to check a foam regularly, at least isolate it with a polyethylene bag which seem pretty stable after 50 years or so.

I have a pair of old AT4050 mics and they came in those little vinyl covered flip boxes with foam cutouts. The foam is getting tacky, so I put it in a poly bag, put it back, and continue to store the mics in it until I can figure out a replacement plan. I may not replace it with more foam; old Neumanns came in wooden boxes with velour inserts. The original A-T foam windscreens also went tacky and I threw them away. Gads, even Windtech replacements for these are something like $60 each.

I'm sure a foam chemist could tell us what's going on. It kind of looks like analog tape sticky shed, a polyurethane recipe problem.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
Not as bad as the polyurethane in your hiking boots disintegrating to dust 5 miles into a backpacking trip, but bad. Vasque blamed it on a reaction of old polyurethane and moisture.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »
I've also had a couple pairs of BAS get sort of less fluffed and beat looking, then outright shed.  Catch it early and replace.

X2 on putting mics in polyurethane bags to protect against failing foam and other environmental contamination.  When doing that I like to throw a small desiccant pact in there to trap any retained moisture.

Have wondered if better to store BAS and other foam screens in polyurethane bags or better to provide sufficient circulation.  If in bags.. with desiccant?  what about those little oxygen absorbing packs found packed with vitamins and some foods?  Some other charm?

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 01:05:20 PM »
I don't know about polyurethane bags, I am now leery of all polyurethane for long life. I think I prefer the common polyethylene plastic bag, but have no way to test the material or know for certain. I once cleaned out my parent's old stuff that had common plastic bags that were roughly 60-70 years old and only a few were slightly tacky, but not sticking to the objects. OTOH, some plastic bags today are designed to quickly disintegrate. Hard to tell.

I would not put a device like a mic into a plastic bag without a desiccant, as I have seen steel rust quickly in a bag. I have been putting the sculpted foam mic box cutout into the bag, then laying the mic into it. I feel some air circulation is good, as well as a good shirtsleeve storage environment. The foam itself, I figure is a short term item now, and I figure the decomposition is mainly chemical and not environmental.

At any rate, many of our favorite devices are made of materials that probably won't last many decades anyway, like plastics, rubber, lead-free solder, capacitors, and so on.

I've also had a couple pairs of BAS get sort of less fluffed and beat looking, then outright shed.  Catch it early and replace.

X2 on putting mics in polyurethane bags to protect against failing foam and other environmental contamination.  When doing that I like to throw a small desiccant pact in there to trap any retained moisture.

Have wondered if better to store BAS and other foam screens in polyurethane bags or better to provide sufficient circulation.  If in bags.. with desiccant?  what about those little oxygen absorbing packs found packed with vitamins and some foods?  Some other charm?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 02:15:10 PM »
I have had Shure BA windscreens (WS81 iirc) disintegrate. Now, we keep them in drybags for boating.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
If you are looking for a replacement, these block as much or more wind noise as the Shure / DPA style huge foamies without the HF roll-off.

https://www.adorama.com/mvwst50.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 03:27:37 PM »
If you are looking for a replacement, these block as much or more wind noise as the Shure / DPA style huge foamies without the HF roll-off.

:coolguy: Still the same price as ever.  Not too long ago they were out of stock everywhere.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

jcable77

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 03:43:34 PM »

I used those like 3 times and went back to BAS's. They didnt seem to do much of anything in a light breeze. Just my experience.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 03:44:06 PM »
^^ Out of stock in that link also! Says it is on backorder...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 08:22:23 PM »
I'm about to order a few of those to see if I can figure out a way to use them in place of BAS's in my rig. Some tests are in order as the rig requires 5 of them. Problem is the mics are literally the diameter of a pencil so I'll need to adapt the rubber cuff to fit. 

Had to laugh at this part (my bold) of Adorama's description upon following the link above-
"Movo Photo WST50 Ballistic Nylon Windscreen for Shotgun Microphones up to 1.2" Long & 18-24mm Diameter"
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com