Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recommend shotgun mics for loud music recording. (heavy metal, etc)  (Read 5276 times)

Offline JesseDavis95688

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: recommend shotgun mics for loud music recording. (heavy metal, etc)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 12:34:28 PM »
ok.. wow.. thanks dsatz for that response. pretty in depth. kinda sounds like.. using a shotgun mic from the back of a room is pointless. which is.. not what i was hoping to hear, tbh. but im glad im getting good info here. thank you for typing all that out for me.

and thanks everyone for your responses. very helpful!

Offline JesseDavis95688

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »
Im selling a pair of AKG 568eb's in the yard sale. Cant beat em for the price IMO.
how much?

Offline JesseDavis95688

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 01:24:05 PM »
To the OP:
somewhat based on what dsatz discusses (and he is authoritative when it comes to microphone application/design) your sony ms 908c is a great tool in your toolbox. While a bit "low end" electronics wise, the preconfigured MS adjustable from 90-120 is possibly a wise choice of mic for the center camera which captures wide views of the stage, maybe positioned at FOH. I know nothing about video, and only that much more about "proper": sound capture for video, but the audio pov says go out and get a nice stereo pair of SD mics with multiple capsules, which you can afford. OR a stereo mic such as the Beyer MCE-72 (Only noting for "affordability").https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/beyer-mce72
  Fly them near the SBD cage while you gather all the other video/sound on the cameras via the existing mics.
ok cool. thanks, ill check that out.

Offline JesseDavis95688

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 01:26:36 PM »
ok just out of curiosity, anybody have any experience with rode ntg 1 or 2 mic's??

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 04:05:24 PM »
Quote from: JesseDavis95688
i am trying to figure out a better way to capture that full room sound, but also trying to get the good loud sound coming mainly from the stage, the instruments and vocals. a clearer sound. with more separation, better bass, cleaner highs, etc.

The Improved PAS technique works well for almost everything that you're after. Since you mentioned 'better bass': if you run PAS with cardioids (especially lower cost ones), you must distance them with respect to to the subs and bass cabinets to take advantage of or avoid the proximity effect depending on your bass level tastes. For metal, the mics would ideally be fully powered, configured for low sensitivity and able to handle very high SPLs without distortion. To my ears, it's hard to beat the full audio frequency impact of omnis in the right spot, but I've never tried PAS with them (I use HRTF & AB).

It sounds like you have permission to run open with some degree of flexibility. Give PAS or AB a try with a band where you aren't worried about making an archival recording. Ideally, there would be crowd noise levels similar to the events you do want to archive while testing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:58:21 PM by dyneq »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 10:43:08 PM »
using a shotgun mic from the back of a room is pointless.

IMO the number one thing to improve audience recordings is get in the optimal location.  I'll take mediocre mics in the best spot over the best mics in a mediocre spot every day of the week.  As they say in real estate, there are three things that matter...

Location.  Location.  Location.

To that end, I think you're better off building your rig with an eye towards freeing you up to get in the optimum spot, rather than settling for a less than optimal spot and hoping your rig can pick up the slack.  That's easier said than done though!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline JesseDavis95688

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 02:52:36 AM »
High-quality, small-diaphragm supercardioids would be a far better choice.
got it. can you please recommend me some mics to check out? my budget is basically 200-300$ for 1 good mic.

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:01 PM »
High-quality, small-diaphragm supercardioids would be a far better choice.
got it. can you please recommend me some mics to check out? my budget is basically 200-300$ for 1 good mic.

AKG ck8 capsule

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com