Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM M2 M3 M4 MicTrak Stereo Microphones & Recorders - 32 bit one-piece devices  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I've scrolled down the forum a fair way but can't see this one mentioned.   Forgive me if I've overlooked an existing topic.

"The ZOOM M2 MicTrak Stereo Microphone and Recorder combines two cardioid microphones in an X/Y position with a quality microSD-compatible field recorder. This all-in-one design makes it a convenient solution and it also includes the ability to record in up to 96 kHz / 32-bit float.  The M2 MicTrak was designed to fuse the professional guts and features of the F-Series recorders with the convenience and portable form factor of the Handy Series. This middle road allows the M2 to provide excellent functionality at an attractive price."

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/12/15/zoom-m2-mictrak-stereo-microphone-recorder/

$199 US - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1737327-REG/zoom_zm2_m2_mictrak_microphone_and.html

And there's an M4 also - https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/mictrak-recorders/mictrak-recorders/m4-mictrak/ - four tracks with timecode.  It has  built in stereo mic, XLR x 2 inputs, and also seems to have a 3.5mm stereo mic input.  This perhaps is the device most likely to be of interest here but it's more expensive than the other two models. 

And an M3 for on-camera mounting, which interests me more than the others.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-M3-Microphone-Shockmount-Compatible/dp/B0BN4D8GCH
https://zoomcorp.com/en/jp/mictrak-recorders/mictrak-recorders/m3-mictrak/

That also seems to be only $199.  There's a YouTube video at https://youtu.be/4A3S1tuq2GQ showing it being used with its post-production width control for pipe organ recording.  This I find impressive, except that when it's set to mono, it's actually 120 degree stereo.  This could be an error in the video - or a bug in the mic or software which Zoom should have spotted!

"It's just a mic that I happened to have in my pocket, Mr Security Man.  I haven't got a recorder with me to connect it to."

I'll leave you to google for other links - or not, if you think it's not in the least interesting! 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:45:06 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Inn terms of the mics, you get what you pay for.  Can't vouch for it beyond that. 

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Inn terms of the mics, you get what you pay for.  Can't vouch for it beyond that.

I thought the pipe organ recording was pretty good - certainly nothing unpleasant about it.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
I ordered the new 32 Bit Float Zoom M3 MicTrak Stereo Shotgun Microphone and Recorder for my camera since I do concert video. Should be here today.

Me jealous?  Of course not... it's not available here in Australia until February.  I could get B&H to ship me one though... I have to say that having started recording using an EMI L2  recorder (with valves)  https://reel-reel.com/tape-recorder/emi-l2/ and having once intterviewed Sir Yehudi Menuhin at his home about his days of recording on wax discs - for which I used a HHB Portadat which intrigued him - being able now to buy a one-piece 32 bit float camera mounted mic/recorder does amaze me.  I look forward to your feedback in due course!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 05:39:32 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
Bad review for the M2 & M4. Picks up EMI & bad handling noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wF99pmA3y0
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
Bad review for the M2 & M4. Picks up EMI & bad handling noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wF99pmA3y0
Certainly one way to get many views/clicks.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
I did not make the video I'm just sharing the video that I found with pretty important information.
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
I did not make the video I'm just sharing the video that I found with pretty important information.

I don't think that comment was directed at you.  What annoys me about that guy's videos are that they make all sorts of assertions with limited comparisons and they are at variance with all (that I've seen) other end-user samples and reviews.  Why is his different?  Why is his the most credible review?  But he seems to be surrounded by fan boys who then post adverse comments on the official Zoom channels on the basis of this limited information.  There could be a problem.  Maybe there isn't, or it's a problem under circumstances which won't normally arise.  For instance his assertion that the H1N has low handling noise by comparison is nonsense- the H1N is notorious for handling noise.  In fact, when it comes down to it, all these small devices suffer from it as it's just about impossible to decouple the small, llight capsules from the body. 

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
What annoys me about that guy's videos are that they make all sorts of assertions with limited comparisons and they are at variance with all (that I've seen) other end-user samples and reviews.  Why is his different? 

If you watch the video there is no denying that these recorders produce so much interference that they are unusable "in his use case" which looks to be his home.

Don't know why you have so much beef with that dude but based on his video alone I wouldn't buy one of these.
No denying what's in the RX output file he showed.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
M4 has interesting potential for a super simple 4-channel mic-array consisting of a spaced-pair + coincident-center-pair, which in my experience is the most useful 4-channel microphone array for tapers. 

I'd love to see someone plug two rigid extension tube podium-style microphones (the kind with a rigid section ~25 to 50cm or so long with XLR at one end and short gooseneck with microphone at the other end) directly into the XLRs on opposite sides and mount the entire thing on a clamp or stand, eliminating mic-bar and wiring.  The mics need to be light enough that the latching XLR connection can support them, but seems reasonable to me.  May want  to use a section of coat-hanger wire to connect the two and reduce strain on the XLRs with wider spreads.

Visual aid below.  In place of mic-cables, plug in two rigid-extension-tube podium mics.

+

^except extending out sideways rather than upward.

Available in various lengths:

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
There's some very interesting moments in this video about the M3 - it's the first time I've heard a viable voice recording made 100 feet away from the speaker!  The end-user reviewer has had no problems with RF breakthrough, by the way.

https://youtu.be/_ZChtqgCit8

I think I won't be able to avoid the temptation any longer - if only to graduate from my first portable valve-equipped recorder with 7 minutes battery life (60 years ago??!), to a 32 bit float digital recorder with a good quality MS mic built in.  Wow, things have changed...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
RF interference has been confirmed by Zoom and a batch of M3 devices has been recalled.  If the last 4 digits of the serial number are in the range 0302 - 1096, you can request a free replacement.  It seems that this was caused by an assembly problem during early production.  Stuff happens - personally I wouldn't let this put me off buying the product now.  I'm still waiting for my pre-order to arrive.

Units of the M2 and M4 are also affected but I don't have the serial numbers to hand right now.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
At last my Zoom M3 has arrived.  First impressions -

- It feels very light and has an air about it of something which should be treated with care.  But mics should always be treated with care.  As for lightness, this is a plus point in the video sphere.  When doing video I might well mount it on my camera gimbal, and in that context, lightness and balance is very important.

- It is heavier than my Sennheiser stereo video mic but that only has one AA battery.

- The dead cat for the Sennheiser fits onto the Zoom, just about, and that will save me a few dollars.

- Changing the battery of the Zoom will be awkward when it is mounted on its suspension clip, but I'll probably not keep taking it on and off the clip for fear of stressing it.

- The mic can't be fitted to the clip upside down, for dangling above musicians.  That means I would have to reverse left and right when editing but I guess that's no big deal.

- It's weird to have a recorder with no metering and no time display.  But in the context of this device, meters and displays really are not required.  There are buttons to set stereo width (it records a left right file and an MS undecoded file at the same time) and low cut, and these do have tiny but bright LED indicators.  Likewise the power and record buttons are well lit. 

- If the record button is held down to start recording, the system is in lock mode.  To stop recording, long press the record button again.

- There's a simple but not-obvious routine to format the memory card but the case is marked to show the method.

- Only the most recent file can be played.  This is perhaps the biggest issue for me (but I knew about it in advance).  And I don't think there's a fast forward or back method.  But I think a whole new approach is required with this device in my world of recording acoustic (classical mostly) music.  Instead of turning up for a concert an hour before rehearsal time, setting up mics, cabling back to the control room while somehow avoiding tripping hazards, setting up the recorder and monitoring system and so on, with this device it would be perfectly possible to arrive five minutes early, plonk down a stand with the mic on top, press record, and come back from the nearest bar when the concert is finished.

Anyway, next step is to actually record something with it.  Right now I don't have any music gigs lined up but I might just do some initial tests using my Tannoy speakers as a source in my 'studio' and comparing with other well known devices.   I am hoping that Zoom have designed this with the 32 bit float recorder being matched with a reasonable preamp (dual in fact) and with mic capsules that don't let the back end down - leading to an integrated whole that performs perhaps better than could be expected from individual components to the same value.  Otherwise, the point is lost.  I will check for obvious signs of RF interference but given that the initial batch were withdrawn and replaced, and it's been some months off the market while the problems were sorted, I would be very surprised if they had still got that wrong.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Briefly, I've done some very quick tests in front of the Tannoys.  Results are encouraging.  Looking at the spectral display in Audition, I can't see anything amiss in terms of whistles at set frequencies.  Noise level is low (well, in practical terms I can't hear any but my ears are old...). 

The thing that made me really sit up was the very high level available in the cans (DT100) for monitoring and playback.  Monitoring is present as soon as you turn it on (there's no record pause button).  But I have a tiny suspicion that there may be some kind of limiter at work on the headphone output.  When replayed direct from the memory card, I don't hear anything of the kind. 

Frequency response - well, in such a crude test it's going to be messed up by the room acoustics.  But the top end is very clear and punchy.  Bottom end seems fine but I haven't yet tested that with a really revealing track.  Stereo image is very well defined indeed (when set to 120 degrees).  Recording between the speakers, then putting it right up against one of them to cause it to "overload', causes no problems when normalised, as you'd expect from 32 bit float.

More crude tests to follow (including testing against the H2N with is the other recorder I have that I would describe as "a mic that records") but I really do need to try it on actual live acoustic music.  And maybe some traffic noise for the bottom end!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com