Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

CA9100 left input mini XLR problem

(1/3) > >>

lpmaskman:
I encountered in problem with my CA9100, it seems like the left input has some contact issues, like in somepositions it works but not in another. As I move the miniXLR plug, it loses contact, or sometimes it just works in a position, and moving makes loss of contact.

What would be the problem? How it can be solved?

goodcooker:

There's a couple of ways to track down your issue.

If you have another piece of gear with the same connectors plug it in and see if the problem persists - if it does the issue is in the mic plug not the preamp jack. Open up the connector and see if there's a broken or weakened solder joint where your cable meets the connector pins or a damaged cable.

Otherwise open up the preamp and see if the jacks have any of the same problems - weak solder joints, corrosion, etc. Make sure the panel ,ount jack is securely fastened to the housing - these use a system of lock washers to seat themselves in the housing panel.

Not sure if Chris is even doing repairs on these anymore - and since you are in Europe it may be cost prohibitive to ship it to Canada for repairs anyway.

If you can identify the issue you may be able to get a guitar/music shop or instrument repair tech to get you fixed up. Soldering the these connectors is a little challenging due to their small size but it's not really that hard if you have any amount of soldering experience. If the problem is in the plug (the mic termination) and not the jack (the preamp input) it's probably best to hack off the old connectors and start over with new ones.
TA3 connectors are pretty inexpensive and widely available.

lpmaskman:
I tried it with switching mics and looks like the problem is on the preamp side. Gonna open the case soon. Also feels like input jack is moving a bit inside.

capnhook:

--- Quote from: lpmaskman on February 19, 2023, 02:55:34 PM ---I tried it with switching mics and looks like the problem is on the preamp side. Gonna open the case soon. Also feels like input jack is moving a bit inside.

--- End quote ---

Don't let the smoke out... :spin: :crying:

lpmaskman:
Well, I disassambled it. Looks like eveything is covered in resin like material. A little tear can be seen below the connector and it moves as I touch it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version