Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMC1L  (Read 2959 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Schoeps CMC1L
« on: March 01, 2023, 02:14:18 PM »
Anyone using these and bought new?   I’m curious to know if you can purchase the body only without the cables and accessories and the box.  I’m thinking either these bodies or CCM41’s with the lemo connection.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Schoeps CMC1L
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 02:51:02 PM »
I never saw an option to buy without cables when I was looking. I'm curious how you would run them without.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:56:33 PM »
I have the cables. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 04:19:24 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I think Sebastian, a ts'er from Germany, has them. He might know.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 07:05:52 PM »
Maybe OP wants to DIY their own Lemo > XLR cables?

It might be worth mentioning that the CMC 1 U is only 0.4" longer, and removing Lemo connectors from the equation makes cables much cheaper.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:17:40 PM »
Maybe OP wants to DIY their own Lemo > XLR cables?

It might be worth mentioning that the CMC 1 U is only 0.4" longer, and removing Lemo connectors from the equation makes cables much cheaper.

No DIY necessary.  I have the Schoeps K5LU cables. 

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 09:00:48 PM »
I bought a stereo pair of CMC1L with caps.  I love them. They are noticeably smaller than Line Audio CM4 with stubby/chopped XLR's. I am not aware of any way to purchase them without cables. Given that the cables are a very small fraction of the cost, and also given that you should really have at least one backup cable just in case, you may want to just grab the cables... I'm planning on getting a backup cable sometime soon anyways, as nobody else and no local store will ever carry one if one fails.

My CMC1L were about a 6 month wait, but this was almost a year ago, so maybe its better now.

Also, I checked into making my own cables since I made most of my other cables. However, the LEMO connector is like $45, by the time you buy the male Neutrik XLR and cable and spend time making it, you're not saving much over the $100 cable from Schoeps.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:03:08 PM by SMsound »
waves -> bits

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 12:15:33 PM »
Thank you SMsound.  Good idea on the backup cables, though it's never been an issue--knock on wood...

Offline allebaug

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 06:16:35 AM »
If you need LEMO cables with TF3 or special purpose XLR ends at reasonable cost see the premade cables by Ambient Recording - https://ambient.de/en/cables/microphone-cables/?p=1 .  Anything from TF3F to LEMO up to XLR7M to 3x LEMOs. 

Actually, starting with TF3 M or F ended cables, TF3-to-XLR adapters in M and F combinations made by Laird Digital Cinema (see B&H and others listings) are a cheap interface at ~$7.50 each.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 06:18:51 AM by allebaug »

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »
Also, I checked into making my own cables since I made most of my other cables. However, the LEMO connector is like $45

Where did you get that quote? I paid 18 EUR when ordering directly from Lemo back in 2021 and Schoeps have them on their current service price list for 24.40 EUR. Make sure to get the correct size (5mm) wrench, though. I learned this the hard way by scratching the black painting on one of my connectors.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:36:07 PM by Sebastian »

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 12:00:01 PM »
^^ interesting thanks for posting -- at ~$20 i may make some cables!

I asked about this before here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200669.0

and got referred to this ($45) part number:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/LEMO/FVN.00.650.KLAC31Y?qs=GBLSl2Akirtf6EINbZT9dg%3D%3D

Is this the right part number for the female lemo that plugs into CMC1L and CCM? It has been on my list to make at least one spare/backup cable for my CMC1L.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 12:05:11 PM by SMsound »
waves -> bits

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 03:03:42 PM »
I asked about this before here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200669.0

I somehow must have missed this thread when it was active. FWIW, you do NOT need any special crimping tool for these connectors. They need to be soldered. The only tools you need are two 5mm wrenches to screw both parts of the connector together.

Is this the right part number for the female lemo that plugs into CMC1L and CCM? It has been on my list to make at least one spare/backup cable for my CMC1L.

Yes, that is the correct part number. It's interesting that Mouser now lists it. They didn't have it when I last checked. Same for DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/lemo/FVN-00-650-KLAC31Y/17871814

I wonder why both of these distributors charge that much for this connector. I hope Lemo didn't raise their prices since the last time I ordered from them. On the other hand, the prices at Schoeps still seem to be half of what Mouser/DigiKey want, so it might be worh a shot to also ask your local Schoeps distributor.

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
I hope Lemo didn't raise their prices since the last time I ordered from them.

LEMO has a website that is supposed to let you look up every part number they make, but I can't seem to find this particular part.
waves -> bits

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 04:41:23 AM »
LEMO has a website that is supposed to let you look up every part number they make, but I can't seem to find this particular part.

Yeah, I know. That's why I e-mailed them in the first place. This was before the part number was even public knowledge. I sent them a picture of the connector with the info that it's from a Schoeps microphone cable and they replied with a technical drawing and asked whether or not that's the connector I was looking for. When I said yes they just forwarded my request to their sales department.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com