Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone run Talentcell with Mixpre6 ii?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
anyone run Talentcell with Mixpre6 ii?
« on: March 01, 2023, 02:57:52 PM »
looking for a little info - running my mixpre with a newly acquired talentcell (finally ditched the DVD batteries  :yack:.  )  using a 12v->Hirose with the Cable Techniques sled. of course when I powered the deck up, the message flashed about voltage and the "AA" battery setting so I changed it to "L" Mount.  the battery meter on the deck showed about 50% from start to finish and never moved.  the talentcell lost one led over two sets of Bobby.

so - the question is:  is there any way to calibrate the deck display or am i just being picky because I can clearly get 2 or 3 shows worth from this battery.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Steve
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: anyone run Talentcell with Mixpre6 ii?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 05:09:23 PM »
With the Mixpre 6 when using the hirose sled that is the way the mp6 battery meter will operate.  You will have to depend on the Talentcell meter for battery runtimes. 

looking for a little info - running my mixpre with a newly acquired talentcell (finally ditched the DVD batteries  :yack:.  )  using a 12v->Hirose with the Cable Techniques sled. of course when I powered the deck up, the message flashed about voltage and the "AA" battery setting so I changed it to "L" Mount.  the battery meter on the deck showed about 50% from start to finish and never moved.  the talentcell lost one led over two sets of Bobby.

so - the question is:  is there any way to calibrate the deck display or am i just being picky because I can clearly get 2 or 3 shows worth from this battery.

Steve
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »

Thanks Jbell!  shouldn't I be thinking of the draw of the mixpre vs. talentcell discharge rate?  like for example I remember with SLA (which I know has a way more gradual discharge slope vs li-ion) would stop powering my V2 at a certain point but still have enough juice to power my D8 :laugh:

Steve

With the Mixpre 6 when using the hirose sled that is the way the mp6 battery meter will operate.  You will have to depend on the Talentcell meter for battery runtimes. 

Steve
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 08:51:27 AM »

Steve

There's at least 3 hirose sleds available for the mix pres. I bet a firmware update has addressed this. SD even sells one. Can't imagine them not fixing this in a frmware update.

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 04:41:23 PM »
I have the Cable Techniques Hirose sled and get the same battery gauge indication on my MixPre. I checked the output voltage  on the CT sled and it’s internal DC-DC converter outputs a constant 7.2 volts until the power source drops below ~9 volts, then it loses regulation and drops out. The MixPre battery gauge range in L-mount mode is full at 8.4volts to empty at 6.3volts, so it follows that 7.2 volts will stick the gauge in the middle. As we know, a 2S lithium-ion pack used in L-mount batteries has a nominal 8.2-8.4 max charge voltage, so this all makes sense. Cable Techniques was clever to choose the 7.2 volts, because that allows the battery supplying power to discharge a bit more if it’s able, giving additional run time. As jbell said, one must monitor the gauge on the battery pack itself to determine remaining charge. The MixPre has no way to know that information, as it only sees the steady voltage.
BTW, a USB power bank works with the USB-C input on the Mixpre 3/6 exactly the same way, except with a steady 5.0 volts.
Hope this is useful.  :)

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 08:02:47 AM »
I emailed SD support yesterday and was told a firmware fix is on the to do list.

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 08:53:18 AM »
I emailed SD support yesterday and was told a firmware fix is on the to do list.
I’m very interested in this. So I just want to be sure I understand that you asked SD if there will be a firmware fix to allow a battery gauge reading for batteries running through a Hirose sled adapter? Thanks!

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 12:06:24 PM »
I’m very interested in this. So I just want to be sure I understand that you asked SD if there will be a firmware fix to allow a battery gauge reading for batteries running through a Hirose sled adapter? Thanks!

SD's words: "this has been noted as a feature request"

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 01:26:33 PM »

SD's words: "this has been noted as a feature request"
Okay. Thank you!

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »
I just started using my Talentcell with the 6. I used to use it with my 722, so already had the hirose cable. I picked up the cable techniques sled as that one is the cheapest of the bunch. The battery indicator on my 6 is half green. I'm ok with that for now, but an update would be nice. Also running my V2 on same battery. I did this with the 722 and both units would run 12 hours straight. I'm guessing it should be the same with the 6. Provided I don't run 4 channels. :shrug:

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 04:23:17 AM »
I run a 6ii 12v>Hirose from Talentcells with the SD MX-HIROSE sled.  My battery indicator is full green.

If an update could monitor the battery level of my Talentcell more accurately on the 6ii indicator that would be fantastic.  If only because the difference between two lights and one light on a Talentcell is... well... as my General Motors gauge engineer father would say "It's just a gauge."
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 08:30:31 AM »
noting the feature request for something that isn't possible is a way to stop having a conversation you don't want to be part of in a support organization.

If the battery is outputting a constant voltage, there is no way for the recorder to track the battery level. 
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »
noting the feature request for something that isn't possible is a way to stop having a conversation you don't want to be part of in a support organization.

If the battery is outputting a constant voltage, there is no way for the recorder to track the battery level.
Both are very true!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 01:29:58 AM »
The option would be to add a power consumption counter.
Displaying how many mWh or mAh that have been consumed and perhaps allow the user to set the capacity of the external battery used.

That would give a decent indication on the power source remaining time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com