Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

digital transfer from legacy MD format (non-NETMD or HIMD) to PC

(1/3) > >>

lushka:
Hey Guys,

Can anyone provide advice on how to transfer old MD master recordings to PC digitally?

Thanks

nassau73:
It's been years since I worked with mini disc recordings so I don't recall the exact steps.

I do recall having to copy the files from a sony MD recorder to the PC using the sony sonic stage software and then converting with the sony wav converter.

Both can apparently still be downloaded.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00027173

beatkilla:
You needed the Sony RH-1 or MZ-200 do this with sonic stage as i recall.RH-1s still go for alot on ebay.When i sold mine i got more than i originally paid for it.

I'm sure there are other methods of course.

morst:

--- Quote from: lushka on October 11, 2020, 11:58:05 AM ---Can anyone provide advice on how to transfer old MD master recordings to PC digitally?

--- End quote ---
Generally, the method would be to use a MD player with digital output and running that into a digital solid state recorder with digital input connection of the same type as the MD player. That is, S/Pdif coaxial or perhaps optical digital "Toslink."
Do you have a MD player with digital output?

goodcooker:
 I do this using a full size Sony MD player (model MDS302) with optical output > optical to coaxial converter > coax input on an Sound Devices USBPre > usb to Wavelab6 to record in real time.

You could accomplish the same thing using a recorder with digital input if you don't want to tie up your computer then transfer the recorded files to your computer for editing later.

Digital out is best to avoid unnecessary A/D or D/A steps but there's nothing wrong with an analog transfer if its what you got to work with. Line out of playback deck to line in of recorder or interface/computer.

Coaxial digital output seems sorta rare on MD decks. There's several Sony models and a couple of Denon and Tascam models that both have it but I don't see them up for sale very often. Easier IMO to get a deck with optical SPDIF out and use a converter to the more common coaxial input found on recording decks and interfaces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version