Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On stage recording?  (Read 10288 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:On stage recording?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2003, 01:35:55 AM »
However, the other noteworthy deficiency is the lack of any effects that are applied by the FOH engineer (ie. reverb, delay, etc...).

Unless the drummer is playing a well-tuned Noble&Cooley kit I'd rather hear the drums coming through the PA  :)

Stage tapes do sound wonderful but I definitely miss having a nice tight and fat kick drum with some nice verb on the snare and toms. A few gates and compressors do some drums wonders..

I really like on stage tapes but the lack of foh processing is noticeable...

Of course you can forget I said any of that if it is some straight swinging jazz... then totally acoustic drums sound fantastic.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 05:26:24 AM »
  I kind of prefer stage taping in some of the venues around town. The tapes have a sureal form of intimacy, on playback it can sound as if your sitting on the stage between the musicians. Maybe it's also b/c it's like sleeping with a stranger, you don't get to do it all the time but when you do it sure is alot of fun ;D
carl
PS-XY should be your best bet on stage
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2003, 09:44:24 AM »
I think stage taping works really well with bands without vocals...  Anything Jazz or jazz-derived seems like a perfect target for it.  I don't think some jam bands would come out really great for stage taping, I do think they need the FOH processing to get their "sound."  And music without the vocals in a band like, say, Guster, wouldn't sound very good (although I'd love to capture those congas acoustic).

But for someone like Scofield, it's heaven, pure heaven.

Maybe it's years of being an audiophile that have done it to me, but I expect to be front and center with the musicians almost life-size.  I don't like the "i'm way off in the taper section feel."  Stage taping comes closest to what I expect from an well-recorded album.

Unless the band is all amplified, I don't think you need to add any effects for depth.  Drum kits come out beautifully 3-d, as well as acoustic guitar, trumpet (any horn really), not sure about strings.  Amplified electric still retains it's sense of space in the recording, too; I ran DIN (ORTF might also be a good choice) to add a little time-delay into the recording, as I surmise this gives the amplified instruments more depth.

Dunno, it's all new to me...  but i think it's definitely the way to go with jazzy acts if they allow it.

Speaking of which, does MMW?  Vida Blue?  JMP?  Does anyone know of a list of bands that allow stage taping?  The only way I found out for the last show is a fellow taper clued me in ;)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2003, 11:44:51 AM »
carlbeck wrote:
>Maybe it's also b/c it's like sleeping with a stranger, you don't get to do it all the time but >when you do it sure is alot of fun

Hi Carl (and All),

That could well be the funniest analogy I have ever heard. : )

Hmmh, let me think, stage tape, another woman, stage tape, another woman.  I'm married.  Better go for the tape.

Have Fun,

Marc

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 12:10:41 PM »
Vida Blue allows Stage Taping?  hadn't heard that.  seeing them tomorrow night in Chicago.   ::)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 12:18:15 PM »
I asked *if* they allow it, not saying they do!  ;)

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2003, 02:28:41 PM »
pretty sure they don't.  thought you might be on to something there though.  ;)

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2003, 02:44:05 PM »
nope....all the side projects have the same audio recording policy as phish.  :\'(
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com