Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK41 config  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: MK41 config
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 09:26:49 AM »
Point them in the direction of wherever the clearest sound is originating.  If that's above you, so be it.  From the second row there may be secondary fill speakers directed toward that area, so look and listen for them and determine if directing toward those rather than the main PA array is the better bet.  Those fills if present might be placed low across the front of the stage, off to either side angled inward, above facing down, or incorporated into the hanging PA itself.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 10:05:22 AM »
Point them in the direction of wherever the clearest sound is originating.  If that's above you, so be it.  From the second row there may be secondary fill speakers directed toward that area, so look and listen for them and determine if directing toward those rather than the main PA array is the better bet.  Those fills if present might be placed low across the front of the stage, off to either side angled inward, above facing down, or incorporated into the hanging PA itself.

Great advice - thanks Lee.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:31:26 AM »

Great advice - thanks Lee.

So, I did what I highly recommend all tapers do—I followed Lee's advice. 8)

I didn't record the opening act Sabaton, but I used their sound to try and figure out where the sound was coming from.  It wasn't very obvious, actually.  As I suspected, the speaker arrays were almost directly above my head and off to the sides—so not much of a factor.  There were wedge and side stage monitors, but all of the band members had IEMs, so I am not sure how much those monitors factored into the on-stage sound.  Although, I suspect there were other speakers on the stage; but they just weren't visible.  There were also no guitar/bass amps visible, but the guitarist on the left side of the stage was much louder in the mix than the guitarist on the right side (I was center-left of the stage).  They were likely in their normal spots, but were covered up. 

I decided to orient the red dots upward about 12-15 degrees (starting from originally being oriented straight forward).

To my ears, in spite of being in the 2nd row, there isn't much snap or clarity to the drums, or for that matter, any of the instruments.  But the vocals (somehow!) come through fairly clear.  Although, it sounds more like a stack tape to me.

Judas Priest posted this picture at their FB page from the end of the show.  If you look closely, you can see me and my grandson. 

We both shot video, which I mixed and synced with the MK41V audio.  Here's a sample:

https://youtu.be/j-YxPuO-jYE
« Last Edit: Today at 09:33:58 AM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #18 on: Today at 10:28:50 AM »
awesome pull, congrats and getting it done

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:08:49 PM »
No mention of how the pipes on the motor scooter sounded. Boo!  :tomato: :lol:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com