Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2  (Read 31711 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
I saw a post by Sound Devices yesterday saying that they were halting production of the Mixpre 3 ii due to parts shortages. No estimate on restart date, so if you want one, now could be a good time.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline stancourtney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
Ordered my MixPre-3 today, 23rd of June, from B & H

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
Firmware version 7.16 for all MixPre models is now available! Version 7.16 introduces new routing options for USB 3 and 4 (MixPre-6, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10T, MixPre-10 II) and performance enhancements (all MixPre models).

New
- USB 3 and 4 can now be routed to MixPre-6 and MixPre-6 II channels 5 and 6 or MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II channels 9 and 10.

Changed
- USB File Transfer mode can no longer be initiated from a USB Keyboard while MixPre is recording.

Fixed
- Limiters are no longer incorrectly disabled in some Custom Mode setups.

https://www.sounddevices.com/download

The updated manual for II-series:
https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/MixPre-II-User-Guide_01.03.22.pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:30:31 PM by justme »

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
Firmware version 7.16 for all MixPre models is now available! Version 7.16 introduces new routing options for USB 3 and 4 (MixPre-6, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10T, MixPre-10 II) and performance enhancements (all MixPre models).

I just installed 7.16 on my original Mixpre-6 (upgrading from 7.10). Has anyone played with 7.16 yet? I went ahead because of all of the bugs I have seen people talking about in recent firmware updates from the last year on their Mixpre Users FB Group (crackles/noise in recordings being the most frightening). However, I'm fairly nervous to depend on the new firmware when it hasn't been crowd-tested yet...
waves -> bits

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2022, 04:12:35 PM »
Worked twice this week with Mixpre-6 and Mixpre-6II, 7.16 on both, no problem.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2022, 09:43:22 PM »
Question about the MixPre<n>-ii Series devices:

I have recently acquired both a 3 and a 6.  I took them out on 2 separate occasions over the last week for test stealth runs.  For stealth, my device typically remains in a backpack for the entirety of the show.  The pocket it is in is left open to allow for some ventilation, but it doesn't get much air across the unit inside of a bag.

For both devices, after approx 1.5 hour sets, I was alarmed by how warm the device was to the touch.  It was not hot enough to the point where chips would start de-soldering, but it was way hotter than I would like to run any electronic device due to the increased wear on the hardware at such temps.  For the second show, I came prepared and dropped a sports injury style gel cooling pack in next to the unit which did mitigate the temp issues.  Practically though, it will be a real hassle to have to remember to freeze and bring along cooling for any stealth show. 

Does anyone else experience warm / hot temps from the device while recording in such scenarios (in my case P48 was on and USB-C was connected to a battery pack providing power to the unit)?  If you are, anything you are doing to mitigate?  Just letting it run hot and not worrying about it?  Should I switch to an L-mount style battery for power and skip the USB-C to help keep temps down?  Any thoughts or tips you could provide would be useful / much appreciated!

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2022, 01:47:34 AM »
The sound devices units are made in aluminium with heat transfer from the internal components.
So a hot casing means cooler components inside.
That said - if the hotter outside casing is not given enough air to achieve convection cooling, the heat will be trapped in the unit.

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
The sound devices units are made in aluminium with heat transfer from the internal components.
That said - if the hotter outside casing is not given enough air to achieve convection cooling, the heat will be trapped in the unit.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it another run tonight without the cooling pack with as much ventilation as I can get in the bag and try to monitor more closely / gather more data.

Generally, I would assume that these are mostly being run inside of a sound guy's bag - there isn't a ton of ventilation there and many times I guess the SD device will be sitting on top of / next to another device which will also be generating / putting off it's own heat, presumably exacerbating the problem. 

Perhaps I am just overthinking it as I am used to devices that run far cooler e.g. D1, XLR-1, D50, A10, etc.  I do wonder how much effect the simultaneous power via USB-C is having.  I have since acquired an L-mount battery / adapter, so I will give that a go to see if that drastically affects the heat generated during use.

Thanks again for your reply / feedback. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2022, 04:36:32 PM »
from the user manual:

ENVIRONMENTAL
Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non- condensing)
Storage: -40°C to 85°C

60C is 140 Fahrenheit for max operation temperature.
85 is 185 for storage, so the components can take that without damage to themselves, presumably while not in operation?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »
I would be worried more about the lithium batteries getting hot. Supposedly when they get hot they explode, which is why they are not allowed in carryon luggage on a plane.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2022, 02:49:44 AM »
I wouldn't worry much. Sound Devices recorders are usually mounted inside a bag which can be rather crammed.

So I am sure they take that factor into account and probably having just some air circulation around the sides will be enough.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2022, 11:16:27 AM »

New
- USB 3 and 4 can now be routed to MixPre-6 and MixPre-6 II channels 5 and 6 or MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II channels 9 and 10.

Changed
- USB File Transfer mode can no longer be initiated from a USB Keyboard while MixPre is recording.

Fixed

https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/MixPre-II-User-Guide_01.03.22.pdf

Anyone running 7.16 in the field yet?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
Yes to 7.16. I didn't notice anything better or worse. Just a seamless show

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2022, 02:43:49 PM »
Next week I will!  I just upgraded the other day.  I'll keep you updated.

New

Changed

Fixed

Anyone running 7.16 in the field yet?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2022, 06:58:57 AM »
With the pandemic being almost over it is time for a concerttrip again. Took out my mixpre 3 II and updated the firmware. This front lock menu is great! A dream come true  :-*
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com