Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lithium in the cold  (Read 2671 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
lithium in the cold
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
Anyone know how cold is too cold for lithium batteries?  It looks like it might be in the high 30s this weekend for some outdoor shows, and I'm wondering how my 9V dvd batteries and the lithiums in my 744 will behave

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: lithium in the cold
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
From what I understand, the performance goes down with temperature but it's not too bad until you hit freezing.  I think it also depends on the exact chemistry of the battery.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
Lithium batteries perform very well in the cold.  Most other battery types do not.

Also, your devices will produce significant heat and this is a situation where you can use that do your advantage.  Maybe take some of that thin closed cell foam with you to envelope the gear and battery.

It's late in the day but I'd try and ask sound devices.  I'm sure they can give you specifics.  The specs say 5-55C.

As always, watch out for condensing humidity when moving your gear from a cold environment to warm.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
Good points above.

Don't let the battery freeze, even when not in use when that may be more likely.  If you think it may get that cold, stick a small disposable self-adheasive heat-therapy pack on it, which should be good for ~6hrs or so.  I pick them up at the dollar store to stick on myself for cold weather camping.

BTW, storage for optimal LIion longevity is ~40deg F, at ~50% charge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I am actually going to run 2 sets of mics into the 744 because The 744 gets a lot warmer running 4 tracks and the internal phantom. I'm also bringing some hand warmer packs just in case

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
Damn didnt realize it was going to be that cold
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com