Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My "Getting Started" Rig?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline morningdew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
My "Getting Started" Rig?
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »
Some novice questions:

This is the setup I’m considering for a stealth/open rig:

? > MP 2 or MixPre > Edirol R-1

I’ve done a ton of research but can’t quite figure out the following:

1.   Can go straight from the MP-2 tape out to the R-1 line in?  Or do I need to use the XLR outs and splice/patch them down with other cords to get to the r-1?
2.   As you can see I haven’t even considered mics yet but I want to make sure this setup will give me a lot of choices for stealth mics.  The MP-2/MixPre has XLR inputs.  I’m assuming there are small quality stealth mics that will terminate in XLRs?
3.   Finally, with a MP-2/MixPre in front do you think the Oade mod to the R-1 would be worth it and/or necessary?

Here are my thoughts, see if you agree/disagree and add your comments.

I’ve read that the R-1’s A/D is good to excellent so I thought by putting a decent pre-amp with phantom power in front of it I would have a nice starting rig that would eventually accept some top of line mics for open recording.

I realize the unit is bit bulky but it’s not far off from a jb3 and  PS-2 and/or AD-20 setup.

Feedback?

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: My "Getting Started" Rig?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:01:43 PM »
I run MP-2 > R-1 and love it. You can do tape out to line in just fine. In my opinion, the Oade mod is not needed at all.

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
In my opinion, mics should your priority.
The pre-amp will obviously add "something" to the sound, but the most important part of your rig will be your mics, and they will have the biggest impact on the sound (apart from the venue and mic placement of course).

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »
Aberg83,

Thanks for reply.  Do you stealth with that rig?  The only reason I was even considering the Oade mod is because I was worried I wouldn’t be able to run tiny stealth mics into XLR inputs (on the MP-2/MixPre) and I would have to remove it from the loop and then use a small 9v battery box to power the stealth mics.

moon-pix,

Oh yes I'm quite aware that mics are huge part of the rig.  I've done a lot of reading recently.  I just haven't picked them out yet.  I was looking at a C4 kit as my open rig choice but I haven't done any research on stealth mics.  Really, I should be researching stealth mics because I'll purchase the stealth mics before the open rig mics.

Since you make a statement like that, do you have any recommendations for quality stealth mics.  $1500 is out of the question if such a thing exists.  $500 would kill me but I could probably do it with some more time but a price range of $300 for some quality steathy mics would probably be just right for me (agian that is if something exists).

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 02:11:29 PM by morningdew »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com