Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mixer for film projects and music use  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
mixer for film projects and music use
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:54:25 AM »
My friend is looking to get a mixer for a couple of purposes. One purpose is to record sound for video projects (and sync the sound later on a computer). The other is for some simple music recording. He's a hip-hop guy, so I'm not quite sure how he was planning to approach that. He was originally looking at the Korg D4, but because it only records at 32Khz in MP2, he's backed away from that. Also because it doesn't seem like it can run on battery power (a probable must for recording on location). So he needs a mixer than can record to something lossless, at least at 44.1 Khz, to a CF card or hard drive, a decent amount of inputs and outputs (definitely XLR in at least), the ability to help in making music (again, I'm foggy on this one), be portable, and able to run off a battery for on location recording. I suppose one could go to Radio Shack, buy some parts, get some kind of battery pack elsewhere, and rig up something so it can run off of the AC. I have almost no experience with small mixers, so if anyone could list some options, I would be most grateful. I think his budget is in the $200-300, but I'm willing to hear anything that's not too outrageously expensive. Thanks.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
Re: mixer for film projects and music use
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:13:52 PM »
I've done sound for short films before, I used a C1000 on a boom>M1 that I had stashed in a fanny pack (laugh now, but it made it super easy to carry it around and check levels). that could be done for $300 but it would be better to have something that would be easier to transfer to the computer.  I now have an XL-1, ive bought a small behrenger mixer to run though and then straight into the camera, it can't handle the signal straight from mics as I hoped it would, so they have to be run through the mixer first. Thats not the best set up either, but thats what i've gotten by with, hope it helps!

maybe something like the Fostex MR-8 would be good for you, example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fostex-MR-8-3-Memory-Cards-Case-READY-TO-RECORD_W0QQitemZ220073832047QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41478QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:21:03 PM by allan »

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: mixer for film projects and music use
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:28:37 AM »
Yeah, I was looking around earlier and thought the Fostex MR-8 MKII would be a good choice. I've submitted it to him for his approval. It seems to be the only real choice in that price range that meets most of the criteria. Thanks.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com