Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First outing(s) with R-09 & internal mics!  (Read 1532 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
First outing(s) with R-09 & internal mics!
« on: July 25, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »
Well, I got my R-09 last Tuesday and started taping some local music on Sunday (music festival here this week).

I've noticed that at least around here, it appears that (a) nobody knows what the heck I'm doing or (b) they don't care what I'm doing. I'm talking about the general public. The majority of the bands knew I was taping.

I taped a three piece alt rock group in a bar, about 10-12 feet from the right monitor (best safe place) with the R-09 on a Slik camera tripod and was really happy with the results. Not near as good as what I hope to get with the CA cards and amp, but very listenable.

I taped another hard rock band in another building with an elevated (8 foot) stage and very high ceilings. Got decent results but the vocals were not great this night and the band admitted it's a tough building to get good sound in. I'm going to see them in one of the best places here, acoustically. Wish I had the mics for this one, but they play here a lot.

I taped some jazz bands outside from a distance and it wasn't bad at all. You can hear all the instruments and very little incidental conversation from others around me. Wish I had thought about boosting the mic gain at one of them. When I remembered it, it really made a difference from 80 feet or so, depending on the sound system. One band had minimal amps/monitors and another had a great sound system.

I stealthed one band by setting the R-09 up on a wall about 20 feet from the stage in a restaurant and got very nice results. Music was loud and I was DFC. No conversation got in and the results are pleasant.

It was very easy to set up the tripod outdoors, set the levels and go. Nobody paid much attention to what I was doing and I doubt many even know this is an audio recorder! (good!).

The light stand with mics on top might draw more attention but so long as the bands know I won't care. I'd post a couple of clips but I'm not sure how!

Thanks for all the help from the tapers here. I'm excited about putting the mics to the test when they arrive. At least I should be ready for some bigger shows down the road. It's been good practice. rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: First outing(s) with R-09 & internal mics!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »
Hey Moke, do you have a link to a pic of the baffle? I was thinking of something to isolate the surrounding noise that would wrap around both mics, but I'm just experimenting at this point in time. Once I get the mics it won't matter. rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline firebaugh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
Re: First outing(s) with R-09 & internal mics!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
I think this is what Moke was referring to.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,70134.0.html
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com