Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Increase recordingtime on MicroTrack24/96..  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Hman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Increase recordingtime on MicroTrack24/96..
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:39:57 AM »
Well,
subject says it all. I was wondering if it's possible to increase the recordingtime on the Microtrack..
For instance, when settings are set to 24/44,1 there is a recordingtime available of 2h&05m.

Is there a possibility to increase this to let's say 3h??

Thanks advance..

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Increase recordingtime on MicroTrack24/96..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:52:56 AM »
Well,
subject says it all. I was wondering if it's possible to increase the recordingtime on the Microtrack..
For instance, when settings are set to 24/44,1 there is a recordingtime available of 2h&05m.

Thanks advance..

when recording at 24/44.1 (or 24/48), the resulting WAV files are about 1 gig for every 1 hours.  so if you have 2 hours of runtime, you probably just have a 2 gig CF card.  get yourself a 4 gig or an 8 gig CF card, and you'll either double or quadruple your total recording time.  you can probably get 8 gig card for under $100 these days. just keep in mind that the microtrack has a file size limit of 2 GB, and it's not a seamless transition from one file to the next.

and one other thing to consider for longer record times is the battery.  in all likelihood, you'll need an external battery to keep the microtrack going for longer periods of time.

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:25:04 AM »
Well,

Thanks advance..

when recording at 24/44.1 (or 24/48), the resulting WAV files are about 1 gig for every 1 hours.  so if you have 2 hours of runtime, you probably just have a 2 gig CF card.  get yourself a 4 gig or an 8 gig CF card, and you'll either double or quadruple your total recording time.  you can probably get 8 gig card for under $100 these days. just keep in mind that the microtrack has a file size limit of 2 GB, and it's not a seamless transition from one file to the next.

and one other thing to consider for longer record times is the battery.  in all likelihood, you'll need an external battery to keep the microtrack going for longer periods of time.

Thanks, well I already own 4GB & 8GB CF-cards so that isn't the problem. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but you already mentioned it in you reply..
"just keep in mind that the microtrack has a file size limit of 2 GB" -

What I like to know is if this is something you can increase, so you can record for example 3h without an transition in the file(??)

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »
Nothing can be done... the developers already know of our request, and I believe the reponces that have been given have pointed out that it's not something that can be changed with a firmware update, so there's not much hope for the future. This is the #1 problem with the MT IMO.

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
This is the #1 problem with the MT IMO.

IMO the only problem with it. :)
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »
In case it's not clear to the original poster, one thing you can do to increase max recording time is to record at 16/44.1k, not 24/44.1k.  At 16/44, you can get about 3 hours, 25 minutes.

Not an ideal workaround since you skip the 24bit capabilities, but if you have some shows where you expect the 2 hour limit to be a problem, you can get added recording time at the expense of recording bit depth.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com