Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG LM3L Battery Box  (Read 2324 times)

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
AKG LM3L Battery Box
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
Howdy,
      My current rig is   AKG CK31 caps > akg lm3l cables > akg mpaIII L phantom adapters.

I run this into a PMD660 running phantom power.    I've been taping less and less lately, so I was thinking of getting a smaller/cheaper recorder to use with these mics for the few times I do get out.....

My question is - and pardon my ignorance as I haven't used a set of mics with a battery box since owning a pair of 4061s from Core Sound -, are there any battery boxes out there now that work with these sorts of connectors?

The idea would be to ditch the AKG phantom adapters and power the mics with a small battery box.... judging from the specs of the adapters, the mics require 9v.  Here's the description of the phantom adapter:

Adapter cable with  MINI XLR MALE (3.5 mm or 1/8") lockable jack socket and male 3-pin XLR connector. The MPA III L reduces the usual phantom powering voltage (9 to 52-V) supplied by mixing consoles to the operating voltage (9-V max.) of AKG  L Series Micro Mics MicroMics.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG LM3L Battery Box
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
Howdy,
      My current rig is   AKG CK31 caps > akg lm3l cables > akg mpaIII L phantom adapters.

I run this into a PMD660 running phantom power.    I've been taping less and less lately, so I was thinking of getting a smaller/cheaper recorder to use with these mics for the few times I do get out.....

My question is - and pardon my ignorance as I haven't used a set of mics with a battery box since owning a pair of 4061s from Core Sound -, are there any battery boxes out there now that work with these sorts of connectors?

The idea would be to ditch the AKG phantom adapters and power the mics with a small battery box.... judging from the specs of the adapters, the mics require 9v.  Here's the description of the phantom adapter:

Adapter cable with  MINI XLR MALE (3.5 mm or 1/8") lockable jack socket and male 3-pin XLR connector. The MPA III L reduces the usual phantom powering voltage (9 to 52-V) supplied by mixing consoles to the operating voltage (9-V max.) of AKG  L Series Micro Mics MicroMics.

OK, I do not own these mics, but my investigation indicates that the capsules themselves don't have a fet behind them.  Like the AT853, they need the FET in the "body" of the mic to work.

You could run these off battery power by removing the phantom power adapter.  I have not tried this, but it would likely work with a (modified) 9v battery box.

I'm intersted to hear how the CK31 capsules sound.  If they sound good it might be worth the effort.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com