Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should I glue my mics into their clips?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline javertim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Should I glue my mics into their clips?
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »
Okay, so I admit -- this is a really dumb question.  However, I figured I would ask in case one of you has done this before and would like to warn someone else against doing it ...

I recently purchased the SP-CMC-8s and love them.  I love how small they are and the wonderful sound the produce.  As expected, I am using them as part of a stealth rig -- I wear them on my shirt collar.  So far, the Audio Technica mini rotating clips have proved to be a blessing and a burden: I love the fact that they rotate, allowing me to aim them high, I love the fact that the position of the rotation stays fixed once you've decided on where to aim them, BUT I do not like how easy it is for the mics to snap out of the clips.  Therefore, I have been considering super-gluing the mics into the clips so that they won't fall out.

What do you guys think?  Good idea, terrible idea?

Thanks! :-)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Should I glue my mics into their clips?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
Terrible idea

Why not just tape them in place with electrical tape or a small piece of gaffers tape?

A whole lot less permanent and less likely to ruin the mics completely.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:08:37 PM »
Terrible idea

Why not just tape them in place with electrical tape or a small piece of gaffers tape?

A whole lot less permanent and less likely to ruin the mics completely.

How about a dab of hot melt glue!!!  A lot more fun than tape, and you can still remove it if you like :).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
I've used the rotating clips with my SP-CMC-8's and never had an issue with them separating.  I'm not in a moshpit when recording either though...ymmv.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »
I basically only record while seated, so it's not a matter of moving around too much.  It's basically that when the mics are clipped onto my collar and I rotate them up or down, they sometimes disconnect.  I guess I'll go ahead and record my first show with them and actually see how they perform in the "field" before I try tape or (hot) glue.  I almost had the Sound Professionals install their own mini rotating clips, but I was worried how the windscreens would fit on if I chose that option.

Thanks for your guidance, guys! :-)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
Buy a set of these shure clips, great clip and rock solid and plenty of angles to work with and they will not come loose, i have used them in plenty of different situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Mount-Clips-MX183-Contains/dp/B0002JEUZA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220415008&sr=8-13

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:21:01 AM »
Buy a set of these shure clips, great clip and rock solid and plenty of angles to work with and they will not come loose, i have used them in plenty of different situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Mount-Clips-MX183-Contains/dp/B0002JEUZA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220415008&sr=8-13
I've got those (and a lot of other AT related gear...).

They are suitable for a larger diameter mic, like AT853 (SP-CMC-4), Sennheiser MKE40 (or the microphone madness version), or Church's cardioids.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

nameloc01

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »
Make sure you use industrial grade 2-part epoxy.

:P

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
I basically only record while seated, so it's not a matter of moving around too much.  It's basically that when the mics are clipped onto my collar and I rotate them up or down, they sometimes disconnect.  I guess I'll go ahead and record my first show with them and actually see how they perform in the "field" before I try tape or (hot) glue.  I almost had the Sound Professionals install their own mini rotating clips, but I was worried how the windscreens would fit on if I chose that option.

man whatever you decide
consider getting those mics up higher than your collar  even when sitting the top of your head is higher then your sholders
consider some kind of hat  / head mount rig...
on your collar the mics are both closer to your mouth and to others in the crowds mouths too.
that's my

-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
Keep in mind though with any head/hat mount you have to remain *very* still or you'll have phasing issues which are more noticable the closer you are to the sound source.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:24:20 AM »

man whatever you decide
consider getting those mics up higher than your collar  even when sitting the top of your head is higher then your sholders
consider some kind of hat  / head mount rig...
on your collar the mics are both closer to your mouth and to others in the crowds mouths too.
that's my

-- Ian

Yeh mount them high unless you have a nice seated position that puts your collar above others heads or you are in the first row somewhere, for cardioid mics this is more important than omni's

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Unlike most of the people here, I generally record musical theatre, opera, and classical performances at indoor venues, so wearing a hat is out of the question.  I was able to produce pretty decent recordings with me SP-CMC-2s and a minidisc recorder at 256k "Hi-SP."  Definitely not the kind of fidelity that most would ever dream of sinking into, but it worked well for my purposes. ... I wish there was a better way to mount other than on the collar.  Recording this kind of music is hard enough, as the dynamics are all over the place. ... I should post a clip of what I've been able to capture in the past and see what you guys think. :)

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »
Get the Shure clips and go with the collar. The minimal inprovement with going hat mount isn't really worth..
#1. The visibilty of the mics to those who may be looking for them,not to mention the cables.. I just got busted a few weeks ago this way
#2. When you "hat mount" you cannot move your head at all,you will get "phasing". At least with the collar you can move you head,which is more comfortable and less obvious at the same time.

However,when you "collar mount", if you are recording soft music where you levels are set high, you have to watch out for your shirt or whatever brushing the mics and your breathing, sometimes your mics will pick it up.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »
Okay, so I admit -- this is a really dumb question.  However, I figured I would ask in case one of you has done this before and would like to warn someone else against doing it ...

I recently purchased the SP-CMC-8s and love them.  I love how small they are and the wonderful sound the produce.  As expected, I am using them as part of a stealth rig -- I wear them on my shirt collar.  So far, the Audio Technica mini rotating clips have proved to be a blessing and a burden: I love the fact that they rotate, allowing me to aim them high, I love the fact that the position of the rotation stays fixed once you've decided on where to aim them, BUT I do not like how easy it is for the mics to snap out of the clips.  Therefore, I have been considering super-gluing the mics into the clips so that they won't fall out.

What do you guys think?  Good idea, terrible idea?

Thanks! :-)

I have clipped my SP-CMC-8(AT943's) to my collar many times to record shows, and NEVER had them pop out of the clips.  You might also want to try using a flexible 18" piece of wire and zip-tie each mic to an end(sans clips), using the groove in the mic body, and bend it around your neck under your shirt.  At show-time then flex it out of your shirt and point mics at source.  Snagged a particularly good Frampton show that way...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com