Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Continuing KM184 discussion  (Read 14434 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Continuing KM184 discussion
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:15 AM »
...continuing discussion from an ISO in the yard sale...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130691.msg1720622#msg1720622

stevetoney

Re: Continuing KM184 discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
dgale and taperj...addressing a couple of points from your latest responses in the YS thread discussion on the km184 vs km140...

I really don't know what are the real sonic differences between a km184 and km140 with active electronics.  However, my earlier comment was from a simplistic perspective; that putting a 15 foot cable and additional electronics in between the mic and the body makes it a different microphone.  That may or may not lead to a difference in sound...I just don't know.  My earlier point was simply that I could accept that the active components COULD be a reasonable explanation for why I have experienced what I believe to be a different sound between the 184s and the 140s.

Having said this, it's my understanding that active electronics in alot of mics are much more than simply a cable and a couple of connectors (thus the high price for a set of actives).  Seems I read that Neumann and Schoeps actives have some basic differences in how they function, but the basic concept, as I understand, is that the electronics components inside the connectors helps to stabilize (and perhaps amplify?) the signal along the 15 foot length of cable. 

OK, so taking my initial hypothesis forward, I can't understand how it can be stated that a km184 is the same microphone as the km140 with actives, when there's additional cables, connectors, and electronics in the 140 signal path.  To me, that makes them different microphones with the possibility of having differences in sonics due to the additional components (albeit those differences may be slight).

Heck, even Grace acknowledges that the V2 and V3 can sound different (with the V3 in analog mode) because even though the V3 is the same preamp design, they acknowledged that some materials were changed inside the V3 box (can't remember details.)  Another example is that alot of ts.com people hear a difference between silver cables and copper cables.  So, if changing materials inside a preamp or cables can make a sonic difference to people, shouldn't it stand to reason that a 140 could sound different from a 184 if you add cables, connectors, and electronics between the capsule and body?  Logically, I'd say 'of course', but realistically, I'd like to hear some controlled comps.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:08:19 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »
^^ Yeah, I think this is about what I was getting at in my last response. Agreed on all counts.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:36 AM »
I agree w/ you Steve. I have often wondered this between the MBHO 603 and the MBHO 63A(Actives/Extentions) and have wondered if the 603(just like a 184) sounds different than my 603A's, which have silver-clad es between the capsule and the mic preamp body. So I would DEFINITELY say that my 603a's sound different than a regular 603 w/ the addition of my silver "Active" cables.

For anyone who doesnt know a 603 is a body and capsule just like the 184 and the 603a's are a mic body and capsule w/ silver cabling inbetween just like a 140 except Neumann makes an "official" "Active" cable and not just an "extension" just like it is on the MBHO's.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »
I really don't know what are the real sonic differences between a km184 and km140 with active electronics.  However, my earlier comment was from a simplistic perspective; that putting a 15 foot cable and additional electronics in between the mic and the body makes it a different microphone.  That may or may not lead to a difference in sound...I just don't know.  My earlier point was simply that I could accept that the active components COULD be a reasonable explanation for why I have experienced what I believe to be a different sound between the 184s and the 140s.

In the Neumann KM-100 system, the capsule head contains essentially the complete microphone and the connection to the "body" is a balanced microphone level signal.  The "active cables" are just cables/connectors and don't have any additional electronics.   The body houses a dc-dc converter and the connectors plus the pad switch.  When you run the Neumann active cables you're not introducing additional electronics and the microphone is designed to drive 50 meters of cable between the capsule head and the body.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
Let me just add my vote to what Burris just said. The Neumann KM 100-series microphones do NOT have active cables; they have active capsules and passive extension cables.

That's why their capsules are so expensive (you're paying for the active electronics each time you buy one) and their cables are relatively inexpensive--as compared with Schoeps, whose extension cables really are active (i.e. they have an impedance converter built in to the capsule end, and that circuitry requires powering, which is provided by the microphone "body").

Unfortunately, a lot of people around here use the word "active" to describe any cable that goes between a capsule and amplifier. But that's a complete misuse of the term.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:00:53 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
^^ thank you for a good technical description DSatz, I always do find your input useful, complete and objective. Cheers.

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Let me just add my vote to what Burris just said. The Neumann KM 100-series microphones do NOT have active cables; they have active capsules and passive extension cables.

That's why their capsules are so expensive (you're paying for the active electronics each time you buy one) and their cables are relatively inexpensive--as compared with Schoeps, whose extension cables really are active (i.e. they have an impedance converter built in to the capsule end, and that circuitry requires powering, which is provided by the microphone "body").

Unfortunately, a lot of people around here use the word "active" to describe any cable that goes between a capsule and amplifier. But that's a complete misuse of the term.

--best regards

+T Dsatz ... learning is good!
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
I thought there was a big difference between running actives and using a really nice silver core cableand the complete microphone.

Also...sonically, the 184's and 14's I think sound completely different.  Although I made some great 184 recordngs, I thought the best ones I made were using an AT attenuator between the mic and mic cable...the 184's seemed to be really hot in certain musical situations and definitely need attenuation....esp bassy acts ( ie MMW, etc)
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »
waltmon, it's not really the best idea to put an attenuator between a microphone and its output cable. Better to place the attenuator at the input of the preamp, mixer or recorder that the microphone is connected to. That way, the signal voltage in most of the cable's length will be that much higher (whatever the amount of the pad is), and it will be that much better able to overcome any noise from interference.

--best regards

jnorman34

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
fyi, i posted a couple of clips over on the gearslutz forum doing a head to head shootout with a pair of KM184s and a pair of KM140s on some flute/piano material.  might be worth a listen:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/468786-km184-vs-km140-shootout-coming.html

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »

It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.  I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.  Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.  It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »

It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.  I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.  Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.  It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.
I agree that the cost of the "active" parts is not that much.  Maybe it is a marketing decision.  If people realized they could buy KM140 capsules for quite cheap, they would (maybe) just build their own battery box!

As far as sound quality goes, I'm sure the mic designers have worked it out.  The only (possible) disadvantage I could see is the possibility of picking up radio interference on the (unshielded) run between the mic and the bodies.  I can't imagine it degrading the sound.  Hmm.  Maybe DSatz can say something about that.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
WRT actives, perhaps the term to use is 'different sound' rather than 'degraded sound'.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »
Freelunch, the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap, and the use of active accessories adds only a minute amount of noise that is measurable under carefully controlled conditions but isn't really audible. Nor is Schoeps' circuit generally or in any other way similar to "the Neumann circuit" which is simply a wire connection between an active capsule and the output/powering circuitry in the body of the mike.

Rather than spell out chapter and verse, I would suggest that you check out what you have been led to believe, and ask the person where they got their so-called information. Nearly every material statement in your message is just not factual to begin with.

People: The only valid test of whether something is audible or not is WHETHER ANYONE CAN HEAR IT. Anything else is just speculation, which I see a fair amount of in this thread and elsewhere--people pretending that they can tell in advance WITHOUT LISTENING TO SOMETHING that they will or won't like the sound of it, solely on the basis of a circuit description that in this case, also happens to be competely wrong information. But even a listening bias that is formed on the basis of correct information is still a listening bias, and still gets in the way of deciding what sounds good on a real rather than an imaginary basis. That's important.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:09:51 PM by DSatz »

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
Freelunch, the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap ...

Rather than spell out chapter and verse, I would suggest that you check out what you have been led to believe, and ask the person where they got their so-called information. Nearly every material statement in your message is just not factual to begin with.

I seem to have struck a nerve.  So called information?  To say that I am very familiar with the internal workings of the KC5 is an understatement.  I've been playing with active mic circuits, on and off my workbench, for a few years.

I stand by my assertion that the parts are cheap and the circuit is trivial.  At the capsule end, the KC5 is five components.  Can anyone else list them?  I know Schoepsnbox can ;)

At the body end, it is even more simple; a capacitor and a resistor.

Now... Which of those active circuit components is not cheap?

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:37:06 PM »
I agree, but perhaps we should say it differently...the parts aren't 'cheap', they are 'inexpensive' (cheap gives the idea that they were made poorly).  I really like my schoeps gear, but I have always thought that they charge WAY too much for their trivial parts...just because they can....because of their proprietary connectors.  It doesn't always seem like the kindest way to do business...

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »
...just because they can....because of their proprietary connectors.  It doesn't always seem like the kindest way to do business...

However, making the connectors proprietary is exactly the point and, in business, developing a quality product that is differentiated in the marketplace enables the owner of the product, for better or worse, to use the proprietary nature of their product to their advantage.  That's good business. 

As consumers, we don't have to like it and we're free to choose because it's a free market.  Our choice, of course is to buy Neumann, AKG, DPA, etc.

In the case of the cost of Schoeps gear, well yeah it's costly but consider that the audience is really a far larger group than us hobbyists.  The larger target market is a group of professional audio studio's that have no problem paying $700 for an active cable even if, logically, it shouldn't cost that much. 

Logic and/or materials doesn't always play the major part in setting the price of a product...as much as market.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:25:41 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
Well one thing we can all agree on.  Neumann's crush the Schoeps.   :P  :instagib:

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
As for pricing there are a lot of different things to at least know about. For us small consumers the end result is often to either buy or not, not much choice.

Microphones of this class are speciality items sold mainly to a very small group of professional users. The yearly number of mics made is very small meaning that there is less possibilities for automation in manufacturing. Some items might sell only tens of units per year. Yield ( relation of accepted items compared to all produced ) can be quite low as every item generally is both measured and tested and compared to a narrow quality margin. The market is global meaning that there will need to be many service depots, gross sales points and resellers over the world. Each of these needs to have a high degree of competence but at the same time selling very few items yearly. The mics are designed and manufacturered with very high consistency and it is often possible to add one more mic of the same type many years later. The buying process is often quite long, testing the mics in a shootout before committing. These are all factors contributing to adding cost to the final buyer.

Now, again, it is your choice.

Contrast this with a typical mass market products. The mics in this class are made to be sold in larger quantitys. The distribution network is different, generally the manufacturer has no service network at all. The mics available change all the time depending on day-to-day ( almost ) fashion. A mic type you buy today probably will not be available next year so you cannot add one more of your favourite. All parts of the mic are "cost optimized" and yield is held high by having much looser quality control. The purchase process is generally buy or not, generally not long time testing, generally no professional support in the process. The sales people are genarally "mass shifters" instead of "professional advisors". And so on.

It is to a certain degree possible to deliver a quality product at a lower price. The key to this often is to make sure that you consistently have a high enough volume. This might be happening in some of the mic segments, probably in LDC mics where some of the manufacturers arguably are close in direct product quality at a lower price.

Well, sorry, only rambling.

// Gunnar

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »
I will probably regret this, but let me try to inject just a few (shudder, gasp) facts into this discussion. I suspect that many of the other people in this thread are too young to remember what things were like in the 1970s and 80s. I'm not; I was already buying and using AKG and Neumann and Schoeps condenser microphones for concert recording in the early 1970s, so I lived through all these developments first-hand.

First of all, Schoeps invented and patented the technology of active extension devices such as cables, goosenecks and extension tubes. As an example of the prior state of the art, consider Neumann's extension goosenecks for the KM 83/84/85 (see picture attached below), which were nothing more than a single wire encased in a metal tube. These were lovely to look at but limited in their usefulness due to unavoidable risks of interference, high-frequency losses and distortion. AKG had something similar for their C 451 series, with a built-in swivel as I recall. So the state of the art was basically rigid, passive extensions that were quite limited in length and that brought a real risk of degrading the sound quality.

Schoeps' patented design overcame these problems by placing an active FET stage at the head end of the cable, gooseneck or extension tube. (This meant that the extension accessory also had to have wires in it for capsule polarization voltage and for the DC to operate the FET circuit.) Under the RF conditions of the time, suddenly it was practical to use extension cables as long as 100 feet, though nowadays that would be avoided since the RF environment is so much more intense. TV broadcast engineers and film/video sound recordists particularly loved this system, but the fact is, most customers bought the microphones for their quality as microphones, and didn't know or care about the active extensions. That's important when you're trying to suss out the economics. (So is the patent, which people nowadays tend to forget.)

Schoeps introduced the only microphone series that could use active accessories, the CMC ("Colette") series, in late 1973. It was ten years (!) before anyone found (in effect) a way around the patent--the first thing that could be called a "competing product" was the Neumann KMF 4, a nice small cardioid with a passive extension cable that couldn't be removed (you always had to mount the capsule and the body separately). At around the same time AKG also came out with a set of electret capsules that could be attached to their C 460-series amplifiers, but those clearly weren't their best capsules, nor is it altogether clear (to me at least, as a non-attorney) whether that was an infringing design or not--it's right at the water's edge. At any rate, neither product got terribly far in the market and both were soon withdrawn. In effect, for about 15 years Schoeps had the entire field of studio microphones with active accessories to themselves. The Neumann KM 100 series wasn't introduced until 1988--again, based on passive extension accessories but with active capsules. That approach gets the job done, but makes the capsules much more expensive than they would otherwise have to be (for the majority of customers who don't use extension accessories).

Contrary to remarks in this thread, there was no particular economic incentive for Schoeps to develop "proprietary" connectors such as the ones used by Colette extension cables. For one thing the whole scheme was patented, so there was no legal way (without a license agreement) for any third parties to manufacture equipment that might have interfaced with Schoeps' amplifiers and capsules; thus Schoeps' choice of a connector wouldn't have been any barrier for such a third party. It's just basic reality that ALL manufacturers use their own choice of connectors for their capsules and amplifiers--you can't screw an AKG C 451 capsule onto a Neumann KM 84 body or vice versa.

As to overall pricing: The predecessor series at Schoeps, which continued in production and was only gradually phased out over a period of years, was the CMT series. According to the factory price lists from this period of time, the prices of the new Colette series amplifiers and capsules look as if they were about 10% higher than the prices for the corresponding earlier microphones. And that was in a period of considerable price inflation world-wide. In other words, Schoeps had always been very high-priced and remained so; they hardly raised their prices at all with the introduction of the Colette series, even though they were offering exclusive technology which caused their sales volume to increase considerably.

The majority of their customers weren't using active accessories, so there was economic pressure from less expensive competitors (including Neumann) all along, as usual. Besides, in an international market one manufacturer can't raise prices arbitrarily, because that plus the variations in exchange rates (this all being before the Euro existed) would cause a total choke-off of sales in some countries, and an increase in "grey marketing" (a big concern back then). The 1970s were years of tremendous variations in the exchange rate between the dollar and the Deutsche Mark, the U.S. distributor took a rather high mark-up on all microphones sold here, and there can be absolutely no doubt that Schoeps' very high prices slowed the growth of their sales in the U.S., where Dr. Schoeps (who was still alive then) had very much wanted them to expand. This was compounded by the U.S. distributor's long-time lack of interest in setting up dealerships--he as an individual directly sold all Schoeps microphones in the entire country, until after many years he was finally persuaded by Schoeps to allow a few other companies to become dealers.

This may be far more information than anyone here wanted to know, but I'm posting it just to show that the kind of inference and speculation that hobbyists commonly indulge in (and that this particular thread keeps coming back to again and again) is NOT a royal road to the truth. The truth is more complicated than what most people generally like to suppose, and it contains all sorts of details that no one would ever guess.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:09:22 AM by DSatz »

stevetoney

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »
This may be far more information than anyone here wanted to know, but I'm posting it just to show that the kind of inference and speculation that hobbyists commonly indulge in (and that this particular thread keeps coming back to again and again) is NOT a royal road to the truth. The truth is more complicated than what most people generally like to suppose, and it contains all sorts of details that no one would ever guess.

Dear David:

Speaking for myself, and I think most others, I truly appreciate the details and input you provide, and the previous post is no exception.  While I suspect from your post that there are times when your historical knowledge and insights causes you to perhaps lose patience with hobbyists, please remember that this site is mostly made up of hobbyists and, as such, we like to sit around our computers at night and waste time...which I suppose is partially included in the definition of hobbyist. 

Sometimes the details of what we're attempting to communicate (vis-a-vis your reference to 'the royal road to the truth') with each other gets lost either in translation because this is the internet, gets missed because we're simply hobbyists conversing from our keyboards (we hit send without knowing and/or before 'thinking'), or details simply get lost over time in the minutia of historical fact.  However, I think that for the most part, there's a common spirit and passion that we all have and that's the common bond that keeps taperssection interesting.  I suspect that there would be a significantly different 'flavor' to many threads if this list were composed mostly of recording professionals (perhaps more 'facts' and less bullsh**, LOL!).  While it's a great objective to correct all of the inaccurate bullsh** that's spread on this forum, I think the bullshi** is symptomatic of the fact that we're a bunch of couch potatoes sitting around our computers at night with nothing better to do.   ;D

I'm not suggesting with this statement that I think you should change any of your detailed comments.  I'm only providing this comment, hopefully to help with any frustration you might have dealing with a group of hobbyists.  I'm really only saying this because I sensed from the subtle injections of sarcasm in your earlier posts in this thread, that there are times when you seem to become rather aghast at the hobbyist discussions.

Regards,

Steve
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:10:41 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »

Fascinating post as always Mr. Satz... and a wee bit more accessible than the more technical details you more frequently post.  ;D

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
:coolguy: scintillating  as always dsatz :coolguy:
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
Well, that's all very interesting product history...  But you plainly stated that I was spreading misinformation.  And when called on that, you have not clarified or corrected your assertion that "the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap".

So I ask again, which of those five active circuit components is not cheap?

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
Well, that's all very interesting product history...  But you plainly stated that I was spreading misinformation.  And when called on that, you have not clarified or corrected your assertion that "the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap".

Whether the parts are cheap or expensive is irrelevant.  He explained, at least to a reasonable degree of detail, how the actives are constructed, but he also explained that it is patented technology that, for a long time, didn't have any competitive equal. 

Isn't it obvious that the price of the product is mostly paying for the fact that Schoeps owns the patent and that when Neumann developed a product, Neumann used Schoeps pricing as their market lead-in for pricing the Neumann actives? 

This is hardly a new concept.  For example, how much does it REALLY cost to make an iphone? 

You may not be, but I'm fine with this, since as discussed, that's what the market has determined the price of a set of actives for Schoeps mics to be.  Sure, I wish it was less, but it's not!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:33:15 PM by tonedeaf »

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Whether the parts are cheap or expensive is irrelevant.  He explained, at least to a reasonable degree of detail, how the actives are constructed, but he also explained that it is patented technology that, for a long time, didn't have any competitive equal. 

I don't think he needs you to reply for him.  The patent stuff was specious.

He said I was spreading misinformation.  When called on it and challenged to give specifics, he gave us a schoeps history lesson and ducked the issue.

stevetoney

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »

I don't think he needs you to reply for him.  The patent stuff was specious.

He said I was spreading misinformation.  When called on it and challenged to give specifics, he gave us a schoeps history lesson and ducked the issue.

He didn't duck the issue.  He made an above board response and, in the process, it's fairly obvious that he also was choosing not to engage in a childish game of tit-for-tat with you, which is what I'm going to do after hitting 'send' to this message.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:33:10 PM by tonedeaf »

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »

Whether the parts are cheap or expensive is irrelevant.

Re-read my original post - that is exactly what this is about.   That, and he said I was posting BS and implied I did not know what I was talking about.  That was insulting. When called on it, he had an opportunity...  Instead he chose to duck the issue.

That's weak.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
huh.
I always thought the km14x series cable was active..soley on the amount of crap you can see on stuffed into the threaded ends where the cap/body screw on.
as opposed to other passive ext. cables like MBHO, Rhode..etc etc. where it is obviously "just a cable".

but...I can now understand why the neumann caps cost so much. 
DSatz..., its always good to have someone post on this forum who *obviously* knows of what they speak.   
I'm more of the 1/2 assed guess / speculation type.
:)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
Re-read my original post - that is exactly what this is about.   That, and he said I was posting BS and implied I did not know what I was talking about.  That was insulting. When called on it, he had an opportunity...  Instead he chose to duck the issue.components that cost only a couple dollars.  I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.  Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Like tonedeaf stated, the point is that the monetary worth or value of a company's product is not simply the sum of the component parts' cost.  DSatz's point seemed to me pretty clear, in that Schoeps developed this technology and patented it, and therefore the cost you're paying for is not just the cost of the several component parts but also involves the cost of R&D, their innovation and patented design, and so forth.  It's analogous to complaining that Apple products are priced too far above what it costs to manufacture.

On the other hand, their $18 foam B5 windscreens and $12 plastic capsule vials are harder to justify.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Like tonedeaf stated, the point is that the monetary worth or value of a company's product is not simply the sum of the component parts' cost.  DSatz's point seemed to me pretty clear, in that Schoeps developed this technology and patented it, and therefore the cost you're paying for is not just the cost of the several component parts but also involves the cost of R&D, their innovation and patented design, and so forth.  It's analogous to complaining that Apple products are priced too far above what it costs to manufacture.

Is that what "active circuit components" means to you?

It was specifically about how much it would cost to include the active driver electronics components in the capsule (so a passive extensive cable could be used).

"It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars. "

"Freelunch, the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap.  ...   Rather than spell out chapter and verse, I would suggest that you check out what you have been led to believe, and ask the person where they got their so-called information. Nearly every material statement in your message is just not factual to begin with."

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
Dear Freelunch,

If you don't mind, I'd like to see that list of components.  I know (roughly) what needs to be inside the "active" end, but I'm always interested to learn more.

BTW, I've got an old, 1970's era Beyerdynamic active set that has an active head with switchable caps.  I believe it is numbered: CV750 or something.  Maybe they infringed on the patent?  Or maybe licensed.  Either way, it is *very* close the the Scheops design.  I haven't bothered to trace the schematic, but it is somewhere in the "10 items or less" ballpark.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Freelunch, you want it--you got it. Here are your statements one by one:

[1] It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.

The critical, and somewhat expensive, part is the selected, low-noise FET and the bias resistors that are hand-matched to it. The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

If you had seriously wanted to talk about why Schoeps' stuff costs as much as it does, we could have talked about that. But I am very put off when I see people making deprecatory, non-fact-based assertions as if they actually knew why things are the way they are. It doesn't exactly make me want to clean up their poo-poo for them; sometimes I just let them sit in it and wallow.

[2] I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.

... and if so, you assume incorrectly, because Neumann is an honorable organization and they respected Schoeps' patent rights scrupulously, at considerable expense to themselves.

Note that after modularizing their active electronics (the little "barrel" behind every KM 100-series capsule is absolutely identical), Neumann took the unusual decision not to make that a field-replaceable part, even at their own repair stations. As things stand, you cannot get either the "barrel" or the capsule per se as repair/replacement parts from Neumann. So even the economy that they could have realized from their modular approach is not being realized, and I must admit that I'm surprised, and don't know for sure why they made that choice.

[3] Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Tell that to Neumann. It's actually several hundred dollars per capsule.

The most recent Neumann USA price list that I have shows the AK 40 (standard cardioid) active capsule at $1238--and that's with no output stage. A complete KM 184 microphone, on the other hand, which contains precisely the same capsule (but not the little "barrel" of active electronics needed for driving an extension cable or gooseneck) lists for $1158, including output stage. Do the math; why does the complete microphone cost less than the active capsule?

[4] In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.

OK, no quarrel there; you're more conservative than I am, since sometimes I use active cables or extension tubes just to achieve a certain neatness or convenience in the setup when it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to use them. For example, if I record with a pair of MK 21 or MK 22 capsules, I generally use a custom stereo bar and a pair of Colette cables even though I could achieve the same angle and distance between capsules without the active accessories.

I record in Manhattan all the time and have never picked up noise or RFI (that I was aware of) in my Colette cables in many hundreds of recordings. The only times I have ever had audible RFI, no active accessories were being used!

Still, I understand and respect the principle that unbalanced connections should be avoided in favor of balanced connections where possible. That's why Schoeps introduced the CCM series as an alternative to the Colette series. In a very high RF environment that might be the way to go, but I'm very fond of the modular series and so far, it is still working for me, active accessories included.

[5] It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.

Hmm. Well, taking you literally, again I wouldn't quarrel with that. But the implication seems to be that you're always better off "on principle" avoiding a buffer stage--as if any audio circuit should be presumed to degrade sound quality unless proven innocent.

I hope I'm not stretching your meaning too far, but if that's your attitude, I think that your purism may be somewhat misplaced. You call the FET and its bias resistors trivial parts when they're not--yet at the same time you avoid them because they're liable to degrade the sound. I think that there is a fair amount of confusion and not very much truth in either of the conflicting extremes that you are somehow occupying simultaneously.

There--I suppose since I've given you exactly what you asked for, you will have nothing more to say now. Am I right?

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:32:34 AM by DSatz »

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
Love going to school with DSatz. 
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
Love going to school with DSatz.

Love getting schooled by DSatz.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »
...and yet again I'm amazed at the knowledge to which I'm exposed through Tapersection.  Thank you DSatz for another exemplary treatise!  You're a better man than me - the "tone" of my reply (assuming I knew enough to respond) would have been quite a bit different.  Kudos on taking the high road.
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
[1] Thanks for confirming the parts cost less than two dollars.  The fet is about ten cents.

[2,3] It would be interesting to see the Neumann circuit, but I expect the portion that drives the cable is ultimately just a simple buffer. Do you know the number of the now expired patent that covered this?  I did not find it in my searches, and I don't recall seeing a patent number on my KC5.  It's old news, but might be fun reading.

[4,5] It is common sense that introducing an unbalanced cable between the capsule and microphone body, and the components to drive it, should be avoided.  Especially with light dimmers, blackberries, etc, sometimes only a few feet away.  One less fet in the signal path is a small, but good, thing.  Especially for those of us who have experienced high SPL overloading of Schoeps.

Thanks for your response, Dave.

Freelunch, you want it--you got it. Here are your statements one by one:

[1] It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.

The critical, and somewhat expensive, part is the selected, low-noise FET and the bias resistors that are hand-matched to it. The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

If you had seriously wanted to talk about why Schoeps' stuff costs as much as it does, we could have talked about that. But I am very put off when I see people making deprecatory, non-fact-based assertions as if they actually knew why things are the way they are. It doesn't exactly make me want to clean up their poo-poo for them; sometimes I just let them sit in it and wallow.

[2] I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.

... and if so, you assume incorrectly, because Neumann is an honorable organization and they respected Schoeps' patent rights scrupulously, at considerable expense to themselves.

Note that after modularizing their active electronics (the little "barrel" behind every KM 100-series capsule is absolutely identical), Neumann took the unusual decision not to make that a field-replaceable part, even at their own repair stations. As things stand, you cannot get either the "barrel" or the capsule per se as repair/replacement parts from Neumann. So even the economy that they could have realized from their modular approach is not being realized, and I must admit that I'm surprised, and don't know for sure why they made that choice.

[3] Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Tell that to Neumann. It's actually several hundred dollars per capsule.

The most recent Neumann USA price list that I have shows the AK 40 (standard cardioid) active capsule at $1238--and that's with no output stage. A complete KM 184 microphone, on the other hand, which contains precisely the same capsule (but not the little "barrel" of active electronics needed for driving an extension cable or gooseneck) lists for $1158, including output stage. Do the math; why does the complete microphone cost less than the active capsule?

[4] In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.

OK, no quarrel there; you're more conservative than I am, since sometimes I use active cables or extension tubes just to achieve a certain neatness or convenience in the setup when it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to use them. For example, if I record with a pair of MK 21 or MK 22 capsules, I generally use a custom stereo bar and a pair of Colette cables even though I could achieve the same angle and distance between capsules without the active accessories.

I record in Manhattan all the time and have never picked up noise or RFI (that I was aware of) in my Colette cables in many hundreds of recordings. The only times I have ever had audible RFI, no active accessories were being used!

Still, I understand and respect the principle that unbalanced connections should be avoided in favor of balanced connections where possible. That's why Schoeps introduced the CCM series as an alternative to the Colette series. In a very high RF environment that might be the way to go, but I'm very fond of the modular series and so far, it is still working for me, active accessories included.

[5] It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.

Hmm. Well, taking you literally, again I wouldn't quarrel with that. But the implication seems to be that you're always better off "on principle" avoiding a buffer stage--as if any audio circuit should be presumed to degrade sound quality unless proven innocent.

I hope I'm not stretching your meaning too far, but if that's your attitude, I think that your purism may be somewhat misplaced. You call the FET and its bias resistors trivial parts when they're not--yet at the same time you avoid them because they're liable to degrade the sound. I think that there is a fair amount of confusion and not very much truth in either of the conflicting extremes that you are somehow occupying simultaneously.

There--I suppose since I've given you exactly what you asked for, you will have nothing more to say now. Am I right?

--best regards

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
I don't have a dog in the Neumann vs. Schoeps fight - both are utterly out of my budget. Still, it's fascinating to find out what goes on in that realm, and learn a bit of history in the process. Thanks, DSatz! Meanwhile, I'll stick to my (relatively) cheap equipment. ;D

*currently enjoying one of my LS-10 internal mic recordings*
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

[1] Thanks for confirming the parts cost less than two dollars.  The fet is about ten cents.

Perhaps I'm just slow...but I don't see the confirmation you do.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

Perhaps I'm just slow...but I don't see the confirmation you do.

Avoiding the question of the circuit component cost by posting the retail price of the completed assembly was confirmation.  Ten cents is the qty 1 price of the fet from Newark Electronics.  The two resistors, ferrite bead and capacitor are also quite "cheap".

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:31 AM »
if all this shit is so "cheap", and we have suck knowledgeable home/tech hackers..., where are all the DIY active cables?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
No foreseeable agreement on the price issue.  Component parts cost != true cost of the product.  Different animals entirely.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
Freelunch, once again you've ignored over 90% of what I've written, taken one statement out of context, and twisted it so that you could construe it as confirming your pre-existing opinions and guesswork.

Your logic is actually rather amusing. When I gave the retail price for an assembly that includes the FET, it may not have been directly relevant information--but the fact that I gave that information doesn't logically confirm anything that you might believe. If it did, then any other piece of irrelevant information should have equal logical force--e.g. it should confirm your opinion equally well if I had said that it snowed here this week or that my mother played the piano. But those statements obviously don't help your position--so neither does what I said, except in your remarkable brain.

I posted the $190 price not to be tricky or to conceal anything, but because I wanted to stick with what I know to be factual. Being an editorial consultant and German-to-English translator here in Brooklyn doesn't give me telepathic access to Schoeps' purchasing records over in Germany. And let me just say for the record that I'm not a spokesperson for Schoeps nor an employee of theirs, and that I'm affected by their prices the same way that everyone else is, i.e. there's plenty of stuff that I would eagerly buy, but I have to tell myself "down, boy" because of how much it costs.

--Now, you surely know the following already, but I hope that other people will be interested to learn a little about it: The manufacturer of any semiconductor will generally offer it to customers in several "grades," with the higher grades costing more (sometimes considerably more). This is simply a way to maximize their income, given that quality control is never perfect. In general, the parts sold in the lower grades are the ones which failed to make the selection for the higher, more costly grades, so they are actually worse on average than a random sampling of the production as a whole would be. Nonetheless they're all still marked as "BC 104" for example, since grading generally occurs rather late in the manufacturing process. So if you're outside the company and you have a bunch of parts without the ordering paperwork, you can't tell which selection grade those parts represent unless you measure them all individually and infer on that basis.

With some exceptions (especially among integrated circuits), semiconductor manufacturers don't generally copyright or patent the parts they develop. That actually works out to be in their own self-interest, because there are big customers who are unwilling to buy any part that's available from only one supplier--to do so would leave them dependent on the pricing and delivery schedule of an agency outside their control. So it's a normal, even a desirable, part of a product's life cycle when other manufacturers step in to cash in on the market that was created by the original supplier. Those other suppliers can claim whatever they want about the so-called "equivalence" or the functional ability of their part to be used as a replacement for the original part. Of course their reputation is on the line when they do that, but their reputation may well be for low price as much as it is for quality. It's always up to the buyer to be clear about what they're looking for.

On a whim some time during the 1970s I went to my neighborhood Radio Shack in Boston with a copy of the schematic for my new Schoeps CMC 5--s, and for only a few dollars I bought a blister pack of FETs that Radio Shack said were "equivalent" parts. I happened to mention this to the chief engineer at Schoeps, and on a similar whim, he offered to test the FETs to see how they measured as compared with the ones that Schoeps selected from their own suppliers. We didn't go through with that, but I would be quite surprised if any of the Radio Shack FETs would have come within, say, 5 dB of the required noise levels.

I guess if there's a point in all this, it's that the serious microphone manufacturers buy top-grade parts from manufacturers that they often have decades-long relationships with; parts acquisition is a crucial part of their business. Then they test each part individually, and use only the ones that meet their own standards. That's not meant as an extraordinary claim; to them it's the only way to stay in business. (Incidentally, it is also one of the big differences between the Western European manufacturers and the intensely price-driven manufacture that has been especially typical of China.)

Now, when low-noise FETs were a new thing in the mid-1960s, I think they probably did cost tens of dollars apiece. Prices have fallen considerably in the intervening decades; perhaps Schoeps really is paying less than one Euro per FET at this point. If so, then it should be evident that all the other associated costs (handling, testing/selection, assembly and testing again) swamp the raw parts cost completely, so now they're the issue. Again, either Schoeps and Neumann are foolish to undertake the cost of buying top-grade parts and then further testing and selecting from among them, or they're not--in which case the catalog price of an "equivalent" part of unknown grade from a discount parts source is just not highly relevant information.

The question remains, as Nick's Picks points out--if this stuff is so cheap and easy to make, where's the competition? The U.S. list price for a 5-meter Colette cable is currently $575; where are the $200 Colette cables that are as reliable, as low-noise and low-distortion, as successful at not picking up RFI despite being unbalanced, that stay flexible in cold weather, whose insulation doesn't tear, that don't twist and turn when you suspend capsules from them even when hot theatre lights are shining on the cables, and that are equally well backed up by professional service? The Schoeps patent on active accessories has expired, so as long as you don't try to sell your cables as Schoeps products, they can't touch you legally. You can already buy two different kinds of (almost worse than useless) fake Schoeps shock mounts from China, Inc.; why haven't they (or you) duplicated the Colette cables or extension tubes? Hell, why don't they (or you) sell equivalents to the CMC-- amplifiers for, say, $350 instead of nearly $1000--an even bigger profit opportunity?

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:20:19 AM by DSatz »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »

It is always a pleasure to hear from you Mr. Satz.  Thanks for your input on this board.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
Once again DSatz gives me a lot of experience based information and good things to consider. This is indeed a good place to learn.

When it comes to pricing, I sort of like comparing with other things in life. Say, as an example, eating a burger with fries. I can make it at home, I can eat it at McDonalds or I can eat it at a guide Michelin rated gourmet restaurant. It is basically the same thing, only differs slightly. But the pricing is quite different. Then again, I know that McDonalds makes a fair profit, most star restaurants barely goes into black. And my personal economy, cooking at home, is as always a disaster. In all cases a very low-priced base food, potatoes, are translated into something quite different, french fries. It is my choice where to buy it, no one is trying to fake pricing or hiding that from me.

This also goes for mics. The prices are public, it is my choice to buy or not. It might be that the basic materials are very simply and has a low price. The raw material costs for a mic capsule are not very high, a very small amount of brass, a few screws and a piece of plastic. Add what is probably less than a dollar of gold on the membrane and it sure adds up to less than 10 dollars. Yet it costs a lot more.

Another comparison. I pay about 20 dollars for a finished bassoon reed. The reed is made from simple raw materials, a short piece of a bamboo like grass ( Arundo Dorax ) that grows wild in many parts of the world, sadly not where I live. Add some short pieces of brass wire, some cotton thread, a little clear nail varnish. It only takes a few tools and some work. I can buy the raw materials for less than 2 dollars and attempt to make the reed myself. Go figure why I buy finished reeds.

There is not really any need to be upset about an openly advertised price on an item you do not really need and where there are several alternatives. I am not talking about KC5-s but about microphones where there are a lot of alternatives.

Anyway, my ramblings.

// Gunnar

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »

The question remains, as Nick's Picks points out--if this stuff is so cheap and easy to make, where's the competition? The U.S. list price for a 5-meter Colette cable is currently $575; where are the $200 Colette cables that are as reliable, as low-noise and low-distortion, as successful at not picking up RFI despite being unbalanced, that stay flexible in cold weather, whose insulation doesn't tear, that don't twist and turn when you suspend capsules from them even when hot theatre lights are shining on the cables, and that are equally well backed up by professional service? The Schoeps patent on active accessories has expired, so as long as you don't try to sell your cables as Schoeps products, they can't touch you legally. You can already buy two different kinds of (almost worse than useless) fake Schoeps shock mounts from China, Inc.; why haven't they (or you) duplicated the Colette cables or extension tubes? Hell, why don't they (or you) sell equivalents to the CMC-- amplifiers for, say, $350 instead of nearly $1000--an even bigger profit opportunity?

--best regards

My point was a little sarcasm.., in case it didn't come through.
It just seems funny to me that so many people on the board are quick to say how cheap / simple this should be .., yet nobody has come up with anything in several decades of active concert taping.
sans nbox/jk-labs/ruttlehuber ...any other obscure dinosarus I missed?

seriously, if the parts are not an issue, and assuming you can get a machined barrel to fit it in and screw on a cap...,
we should see actives for Pelusos, ATs, Oktavas, Gefells, AKGs, Audixs..and all the other multi-cap condensers we use.
BUT...we dont.  we haven't..and I doubt we will. 
So, I guess its likely not as simple as us armchair engineers suggest.  If any one of we tinker types built such a thing and it worked in a concert taping environment, we'd likely own this WWW site by now.
;-)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:27:21 AM by Nick's Picks »

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
It just seems funny to me that so many people on the board are quick to say how cheap / simple this should be .., yet nobody has come up with anything in several decades of active concert taping.

A big limitation I see is demand.  Based on the Yard, I just don't see much money being spent right now.  The people who have the skills to do this are generally more interested in spending their time on projects that have a greater return and are more interesting/exciting.

Another factor that stops me from bothering... It has already been done where it counts most: the very best mics for this application - Schoeps and DPA - already have good/great active solutions.  The MGs are the exception.  But I don't see *that many* people signing up for MG actives.  I'm not even sure how many of us on this site currently own MGs.

I think the AKG taping market is much larger.  Though  I don't know how large..

I don't see many people saying it is cheap and easy, though a lot of people want "cheap".   The mechanical stuff?  Fairly easy for people who do that.  Some of us have CNC mills, lathes, etc, and can do the machining.  Auto chuck CNC lathe time is cheap.

Some customers expect you to be on a short tether.  That's a drag. Especially if you like to take long vacations, *and* continue developing cool new stuff.  What's the point of spending hours and hours at the bench and in the shop if you can't take the summer off?

I think this niche market is small... Small enough that it ends up being a "second job".  But it is large enough that it would be a significant on-going time drain.  Is it any wonder the JK labs guy burned out?

stevetoney

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:31 PM »

A big limitation I see is demand.  Based on the Yard, I just don't see much money being spent right now.  The people who have the skills to do this are generally more interested in spending their time on projects that have a greater return and are more interesting/exciting.

Another factor that stops me from bothering... It has already been done where it counts most: the very best mics for this application - Schoeps and DPA - already have good/great active solutions.  The MGs are the exception.  But I don't see *that many* people signing up for MG actives.  I'm not even sure how many of us on this site currently own MGs.

I think the AKG taping market is much larger.  Though  I don't know how large..

I don't see many people saying it is cheap and easy, though a lot of people want "cheap".   The mechanical stuff?  Fairly easy for people who do that.  Some of us have CNC mills, lathes, etc, and can do the machining.  Auto chuck CNC lathe time is cheap.

Some customers expect you to be on a short tether.  That's a drag. Especially if you like to take long vacations, *and* continue developing cool new stuff.  What's the point of spending hours and hours at the bench and in the shop if you can't take the summer off?

I think this niche market is small... Small enough that it ends up being a "second job".  But it is large enough that it would be a significant on-going time drain.  Is it any wonder the JK labs guy burned out?

I'm not convinced. 

Burnout for one-sies and two-sies could be an issue, but I don't see that as a barrier in this case.  If actives were easily doable, someone would have waded into the realm of selling actives as a stand-alone product.   This is especially true when the short-term market for custom made actives here on TS.com would be strong and with a price point in the couple hundreds of dollars range.  We've had two separate projects (the AKG project and the busman project) start, but neither of them have ended up coming to fruition after many many months.  Finally, we have at least two cable makers here making less than $10 a sale and, so far, they don't seem to be burning out, so I'm not sure any of the arguments presented hold much water.

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »
If actives were easily doable, someone would have waded into the realm of selling actives as a stand-alone product.   This is especially true when the short-term market for custom made actives here on TS.com would be strong and with a price point in the couple hundreds of dollars range.

A solution for mid-tier capsules priced at "a couple hundreds", one pair at a time - the money just isn't there to make it worthwhile.  As you state, it is a short term market.  There would be a spike in demand and then, not so much.

Cables are a fairly generic commodity anb completely different.  People can mostly get them anywhere, and they don't have many on-going support issues.   But it does take practice to do them neat and quick (and not everyone can make good cables).  It's great that some people are willing to make them for $10 profit.  An exception to "commodity" may be *good* stubbies.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:43 PM »
If actives were easily doable, someone would have waded into the realm of selling actives as a stand-alone product.   This is especially true when the short-term market for custom made actives here on TS.com would be strong and with a price point in the couple hundreds of dollars range.

A solution for mid-tier capsules priced at "a couple hundreds", one pair at a time - the money just isn't there to make it worthwhile.  As you state, it is a short term market.  There would be a spike in demand and then, not so much.

Cables are a fairly generic commodity anb completely different.  People can mostly get them anywhere, and they don't have many on-going support issues.   But it does take practice to do them neat and quick (and not everyone can make good cables).  It's great that some people are willing to make them for $10 profit.  An exception to "commodity" may be *good* stubbies.
I agree that the parts to build a product are often much less than the retail price.  But you have to factor in the development, the support, and over-engineering.  Making a product that is completely reliable.  A Scheops or Neumann owner will not tolerate cables with flakey contacts, or cables that wear out.  They are paying top dollar so that they don't break during a critical recording.  And so they can be serviced for many many years after original purchase.

OK, that said, for hobby users, we can certainly build these.  Like preamps, there is a market for these.  What we cannot build though, is the capsules themselves.  That is something that makes a hobby affordable for us.  We can buy a pair of $300 akg capsules and build our own actives.  We don't need to buy the bodies.  Thank goodness for the internet and forums like this.

OK, so rock on Freelunch.  Build them if you can.

Richard

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
I agree that the parts to build a product are often much less than the retail price.  But you have to factor in the development, the support, and over-engineering.  Making a product that is completely reliable.  A Scheops or Neumann owner will not tolerate cables with flakey contacts, or cables that wear out.  They are paying top dollar so that they don't break during a critical recording.  And so they can be serviced for many many years after original purchase.

JK labs and Bill Reutelhuber (Rmod) both already did it, quite a long while ago.   And the former developed his own colettes, while the latter used the Schoeps colettes because they were fairly inexpensive at that time.  And we currently have the Nbox, with excellent support and reliability.   My Rmod box is ancient, yet still solid.  It is an awesome design, with a really great implementation.

OK, so rock on Freelunch.  Build them if you can.

I have no motivation to do so... I already have two active solutions.  There is no satisfaction in copying the Rmod.   Hacking on the design might be fun, but I question whether it could be improved.  Any attempt at improvement would require a great deal of trial and error.  It already uses the very best components, wires, shortest signal paths, etc.

As you state, the capsules are critical to a great recording.  Why spend time on anything but the best capsules?  Especially when we've seen mk4's in the yard for $800 recently..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.175 seconds with 76 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com