Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: Sennheiser MKE 2002 replacement omni capsules & preamp mod  (Read 9012 times)

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I have a set of Sennheiser MKE 2002 omni microphones that I have owned for over 25 years. They have worked flawlessly except once for a short in the wiring that was easily repaired. I would like to determine if replacement omni capsules are available. I assume that there should have been some new improvements over the original omni capsules over the years. I have contacted Sennheiser and am waiting for a response. Does anyone know of an improved omni capsule by any microphone manufacturer that is both much better than the original and that will fit in the assembly?

Secondly, the microphones have a very basic power supply (9v battery) and preamp housed in a small box. I would like to attach a better unit like the Niant Little box to the unit. I have a Lunatec V2 which I use with other microphones, but with the battery pack it is far too large. The Sennheisers are great for stealth recording. Has anyone done this? Thank you.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Sennheiser MKE 2002 replacement omni capsules & preamp mod
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
What country are you in?

Sennheiser UK, Sennheiser USA or Sennheiser Germany should have all the info.

Sennheiser electret capsules have always been very good, they invented the back-electret principle I was told.

Their OEM capsules were always top-notch - but not cheap.  The OEM version of the MKE 2 capsule was about £40 each in small quantities.

Sennheiser should be able to tell you if it's repairable.

If not, I would look at the possibility of replacing the capsules with the flat response version of the MKE 2 - called KE 4-211-2 If my memory serves me well (Sennheiser will confirm).

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
Hi John: Thanks for responding. I am in Canada. The existing capsules work fine, I just thought that after 25 years plus of service that something might be available now that would sound better. I spoke to someone at Sennheiser Canada yesterday, they said they will check with head office in Germany and get back to me. I have found that on a site like this that many people are both knowledgeable and dedicated to their hobby. Therefore, they might have a recommendation that might not even be a Sennheiser product.

I appreciate your suggestion about the KE 4-211-2 and will look into it further.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »
Hi John: Thanks for responding. I am in Canada. The existing capsules work fine, I just thought that after 25 years plus of service that something might be available now that would sound better. I spoke to someone at Sennheiser Canada yesterday, they said they will check with head office in Germany and get back to me. I have found that on a site like this that many people are both knowledgeable and dedicated to their hobby. Therefore, they might have a recommendation that might not even be a Sennheiser product.

I appreciate your suggestion about the KE 4-211-2 and will look into it further.
The included mics are 10mm omnis, self noise 20dBA.  A nice capsule, but AFAIK they are discontinued.
The newer KE4 capsules are 4.5mm diameter, 27dBA.  The KE4 may sound a little better, I don't know.  I use these a lot.  But if the existing mics work, keep them for the lower self noise.  Great for ambient recording.  I've got one of these, but one of the mics is flakey.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:30:06 AM »
The included mics are 10mm omnis, self noise 20dBA.  A nice capsule, but AFAIK they are discontinued.

That woukd be the KE 10, then.

The last I knew they were still available.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:24:24 AM »

That woukd be the KE 10, then.

The last I knew they were still available.
KE10_120 is the omni model.  This is *supposedly* discontinued.
KE10_420 is cardioid.  That is still available, as well as a few others (KE10_430, revised 420).

If you find the 120 still around, please let us know.  I'd like to get a couple of these, as replacements for internals on Sony PCM M10, for example...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »
I will post the results of what I find out. Thanks John and Richard. Tim

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

KE10_120 is the omni model.  This is *supposedly* discontinued.

I would contact Sennheiser in Germany directly and ask them if they have any KE 10-120 left.

If not, ask them which models of Sennheiser microphones used these capsules - this way you may find a s/h mic. to rob the capsule from.

Otherwise I thing I would use a KE 4-211-2 and use something to enlarge the diameter to fit.

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
Thanks. I will give Sennheiser Canada a few days to respond. If they don't, I will write Sennheiser in Germany directly. Are the KE 4-211-2 superior to the capsules that came with the original mikes? My mikes still work fine, I would just like to upgrade the capsules if something better is now available. Also, it could be omni's from another manufacturer if they fit and use similar power.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »
Thanks. I will give Sennheiser Canada a few days to respond. If they don't, I will write Sennheiser in Germany directly. Are the KE 4-211-2 superior to the capsules that came with the original mikes? My mikes still work fine, I would just like to upgrade the capsules if something better is now available. Also, it could be omni's from another manufacturer if they fit and use similar power.
If you've got working mics, leave them.  The KE4 sounds a little better (IMO) but not much better.  And the self noise is higher.  Keep the originals if you've got them.  Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Richard

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
OK. Thanks. Richard.

mfrench

Re: Re: Sennheiser MKE 2002 replacement omni capsules & preamp mod
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
The limiter in that system is the battery box circuitry, not so much the capsules. It shapes the mics response to try to mimic the human hearing range. They roll-off from around 150hz downward at about 12dB per octave.  This is somewhat problematic to me, and is why I don't use mine as often anymore - but they do make a nice heavy bass response omni in situations where you want a little HPF roll-off of the bottom end.

oops,... I started out going to make a point and totally forgot about it.
I'm really tempted to try to run the MKE2002 mics without their own battery box, and, instead, run a modified DPA 406x battery pack in its place. I have one modified with a 1/8" stereo jack, and I think it would be a sweet little pairing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:14:36 PM by m0k3 »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Yeah, go ahead and tinker with the battery box.  Just leave the mics the way they are :).

Richard

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
Thanks mok3. Where would I purchase such a box and get it modded?

mfrench

Re: Re: Sennheiser MKE 2002 replacement omni capsules & preamp mod
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
I have not tried the theory that I proposed with the DPA box / Senn mics..
Both the Senn and DPA mics operate from a two wire 9v design; same voltage, same supply feed.  I'm entirely confident that it would work - but I have not actually tried it.

It was this box that I modified:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=139&item=24262
The box is for DPA 406x miniature omnis. The 406x series has what are called microdot connectors; essentially a proprietary miniature screw-in coaxial jack.  I wanted the microdots for making a longer cable set for the mics, one that could be plugged into a single stereo jack for powering.
So, there were two microdot inputs in the batt pack, and I picked them out.
They were replaced with a redundant pair of stereo inputs; redundant, such that, if one stereo jack crapped out, the other was there for backup. The stereo jacks were bolted into the place of the microdots. This mod allows powering of other 9v two wire mic designs from other companies, by removing the proprietary connectors
The mod was easy, and anyone half qualified with a soldering iron could do it.
It could probably be done in such a way as to allow you to choose between your Senn batt pack, or, the DPA batt pack, with an inline cable-to-cable mini-xlr_type connector, or something like that, for a lockable connector.
I'd take a pic for you, but my house is torn up for ceiling texturing and painting right now.
DPA will sell direct, at full retail. You'd be better searching  for a competitive retailer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:24:33 PM by m0k3 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com