Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: putting line transformers inside a batt box -- please help (DPA4061 related)  (Read 10277 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Just curious - what's the cap value on the small one?  And how about the resistor?
It'd be nice to file away a powering scheme for the 4061s.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
I'll slap on another +T for your ideas and efforts.
4061s...I dont know.
far to "un sensitive" w/o some sort of gain that you can add.

imo, the one to get is the 4070.  built in roll off and more sensitive.
:)
but, that doesnt' help, does it.

I think maybe gutting the BB and building it in a different sized project box might do the trick.  But then again, the Oade mod M1 would solve everything, wouldn't it.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
even the 4060.  As macdaddy has.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jamonyorke

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Just curious - what's the cap value on the small one?  And how about the resistor?
It'd be nice to file away a powering scheme for the 4061s.

Here are the values:

R= 10K
C (small) = 2.2uF
C (big) = 0.15uF

(thanks JK for deciphering the caps values for me a while ago)

The bass rolloff filter (small C) is suposedly designed for mic-in impedance (4,7K), but applying the formula gives me a cutoff freq. of 226Hz.
This somewhat contradicts what's written on Coresound's Page (120Hz).
Maybe he considered the mic-in impedance as 10K?

HEB4061>PCM-M1

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Here are the values:

R= 10K
C (small) = 2.2uF
C (big) = 0.15uF

(thanks JK for deciphering the caps values for me a while ago)

The bass rolloff filter (small C) is suposedly designed for mic-in impedance (4,7K), but applying the formula gives me a cutoff freq. of 226Hz.
This somewhat contradicts what's written on Coresound's Page (120Hz).
Maybe he considered the mic-in impedance as 10K?

Interesting...exactly the same as the standard CSB box - same powering as the Panasonic capsules

Remember that when you use that formula you get the -3dB point (on a 6dB/octave slope).  CS says it's down 6dB at 120 Hz - I would think the -6dB point is somewhere near 167 Hz.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular
Did this actually work?  I'm considering doing the same thing, all homebrew.

It'd be better to not kill a pair of hosa's - do you know the specs of the transformer?

Would something like radshack #273-1380 work? ("Audio Output Transformer 1,000-ohm center-tapped primary, 8-ohm secondary. Many uses including audio output and low-level impedance matching.")
dpa 4061s -> marantz pmd620

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
the 4060s would be the much easier solution here, but good job for doing what you're doing!

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular
the 4060s would be the much easier solution here, but good job for doing what you're doing!

The 4060s really put out enough signal to get a good recording on the jb3?   

In any case, the 4061s are cheaper and easier to find, so I really want a solution like this.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
yeah, the 4060's are higher sensitivity.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
Would something like radshack #273-1380 work? ("Audio Output Transformer 1,000-ohm center-tapped primary, 8-ohm secondary. Many uses including audio output and low-level impedance matching.")

The voltage gain is going to be the square root of the impedance ratio.  You're talking about an impedance ratio of 125, so the voltage gain will be 125 ^ .5 = 11.18.  If you express that in dB, you'll have 20 log 11.18 = 20.97 dB gain.  You'd run you mic signal into the 8 ohm side and get your boosted line level signal on the 1000 ohm side.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular

The voltage gain is going to be the square root of the impedance ratio.  You're talking about an impedance ratio of 125, so the voltage gain will be 125 ^ .5 = 11.18.  If you express that in dB, you'll have 20 log 11.18 = 20.97 dB gain.  You'd run you mic signal into the 8 ohm side and get your boosted line level signal on the 1000 ohm side.

Excellent!  I'll try to put something together tonight.

Thanks SparkE!  I'd +T you if I could!

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular

ok... so what do I do with all these wires?  ;D

one side, labeled "8 ohms",  has red and white wires.  the other, labeled "CT" (center-tapped?), has blue, black and green.
by sides I mean the diagram goes    =3||C=

I found combinations that didn't work, and some that did, but none gave me a huge boost in sound.  I'm using a pair of transformers after the battery box, with just a plain signal/shield stereo pair to a 1/8 mini plug.

hope that makes sense.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member

one side, labeled "8 ohms",  has red and white wires.  the other, labeled "CT" (center-tapped?), has blue, black and green.

I found combinations that didn't work, and some that did, but none gave me a huge boost in sound.  I'm using a pair of transformers after the battery box, with just a plain signal/shield stereo pair to a 1/8 mini plug.

hope that makes sense.
So, you'd go mic signal between the red and white wires and the coupled signal would come out between the blue and green wires.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular

hope that makes sense.
So, you'd go mic signal between the red and white wires and the coupled signal would come out between the blue and green wires.

Between the wires???  Sorry, what gets connected to what?

(This must be what it feels like when I'm explaining computer things to the computer illiterate...  It's all so unintuitive to me!  I've googled and no one explains how this stuff works on the level I need.) 

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member

hope that makes sense.

Between the wires???  Sorry, what gets connected to what?

(This must be what it feels like when I'm explaining computer things to the computer illiterate...  It's all so unintuitive to me!  I've googled and no one explains how this stuff works on the level I need.) 
Your mic signal wires will connect to the red and white wires (one to each).  Then your blue and green wires will connect to the output connector.  I don't know enough about the connectors you are using to tell you exactly how to wire the connectors.  I also don't know if you are balanced or single ended.  Both are shown below:

Red      Blue
       Mic +  o--------------. ,-------------o  Line Out +
                             )|(  Black
                             )|(-------------o    GND
                       White )|(  Green
       Mic -  o--------------' '-------------o  Line Out -
                                                                     +
                           Balanced

Red      Blue
       Mic +  o--------------. ,-------------o  Line Out +
                             )|(  Black
                             )|(-------------o   Unused
                       White )|(  Green
        GND   o--------------' '-------------o    GND

Single Ended

created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com