Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting mics checked out at the factory.  (Read 3605 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Getting mics checked out at the factory.
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
Just wondering if anybody here ever sends in their mics to the factory to be tested for performance.
I just sent my 4022s into DPA for a check up, they came up good without any issues.

DPA charges $25 a mic plus shipping to do this. Speaking to Joey, the tech that looked at mine, I got the impression that they seldom find issues.

What do you think, waste of money unless you are having problems?
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Getting mics checked out at the factory.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »

imo yes

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »
waste of money unless you are having problems?

Depends on the mics' history and whether one values the peace of mind that would come with sending them back.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »

At some factories, yes. At places like DPA or Schoeps, no. They know the stuff inside out, has all the equipment and all the people to do really good jobs. And the sense to not do anything if it is not needed.

Gunnar

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 01:36:19 PM »
I like to send my Schoeps caps in for a checkup every couple years, more if I've been recording under harsh conditions (dusty/smoky). One thing to watch out for with Schoeps - I had the cables on my CCM4s shortened by a local audio guy, sent them in to Schoeps and when they came back the cables were the original length. At first I thought they had just mixed mine up with someone else's, but it turned out that their policy - unless notified otherwise - is to return mics to their stock condition. So if you've made any mods like that you might want to specify to leave as-is.

Steve

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
DPA makes quite a big deal out of the ruggedness of their mics.  You know, the story of being in a Danish fisherman's toolbox for a year and working at spec.  Now that is one tough mic.  I just got the 3506 kit with all the attachments for the 4006TL's and I can set up with six different curves on the mics.  They can me modded to work close or far or in between, and with three different mid range boosts and have the switch to drop 20dB in output.  Now that is one accommodating set of mics.  And, I can store them in my toolbox.  No, no, only joking there.  I am very careful with them.

Schoeps cards are pretty rugged, too, but sensitive to smoke and dust more than the DPA omni's.  A bi-ennial trip to the factory might not be a bad idea even though I run the windscreens on them anywhere there is smoke.

In summary, the previous poster has it right that as a rule good mic manufacturers will have good facilities to maintain and test their products.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 01:55:53 AM »
anyone ever sent to akg or neumann and any idea of cost?  I know I'm gonna send at least the 480's in for a check up.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »
anyone ever sent to akg or neumann and any idea of cost?  I know I'm gonna send at least the 480's in for a check up.

Gordon -  best advice: write the factory.  I have found the manufacturers to be always helpful.  And they will give you the straight skinny on cost.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline chrisdavis

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action....
    • DB Music List
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:24:36 AM »

i sent my f-ed AKGs to Land audio earlier this year.  It was like $25-40 (not 100% on price) per mic to get the diagnostic.  I couldnt afford the repair (these mics are F-ed!), but Richard was prompt, and explained everything to me very patiently.  As soon as i get some cash (in like 2025), the akgs are right back to land...good people from my experience...
Team Dirty South Coastal Division: Getting Shut Down since 2007.

"Hey, are you the Z-Man?"
-local fan, Artie Crisp (Pour House - 8/28/08)

mics: 4 x Peluso cemc6 (ck2, ck4, ck21, ck41) : Nakamichi cm100/cp4 : SP-C4's (omni/card) : CA-11 card (Trego)
pres: BMp2+ UA-5 : Sound Device MP-2: EAA PSP-2 : CA-9000
recorders: Tascam DR-680 : MT-II : Sony PCM M-10 : Tascam DA20-mkII

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/chrisdavis
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/chrisdavistransfers

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »

i sent my f-ed AKGs to Land audio earlier this year.  It was like $25-40 (not 100% on price) per mic to get the diagnostic.  I couldnt afford the repair (these mics are F-ed!), but Richard was prompt, and explained everything to me very patiently.  As soon as i get some cash (in like 2025), the akgs are right back to land...good people from my experience...

in case anyone else is wondering here is his contact info straight from the AKG usa website

Repair of wireless systems and professional studio microphones:
Richard Land
rland@harman.com
Phone: +1 615-338-4443

he quoted me $25 per item (cap or body).
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »
I had some work done on an oktava mic by oktava usa (official us distributor) the work was spot on timely and inexpensive.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »
For microphones made in central Europe (AKG, Beyer, Microtech Gefell, Neumann, Sennheiser, Schoeps) most manufacturers have national distribution and service centers which can fix common electrical and mechanical problems. (Microtech Gefell doesn't have representation in North America at the moment and is handling all repairs directly, but they probably will have some kind of representation again here soon.)

For any procedures that involve detailed testing of acoustical performance (e.g. frequency response), the microphone typically needs to go back to the manufacturer's facilities in Europe. Repair stations in the U.S. generally don't have setups for acoustic testing, which would cost more than the whole rest of the test bench.

--best regards
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:39:52 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 07:09:29 AM »

At some factories, yes. At places like DPA or Schoeps, no. They know the stuff inside out, has all the equipment and all the people to do really good jobs. And the sense to not do anything if it is not needed.

Gunnar

I'm just curious as to which microphone manufacturers, in your opinion, don't "know their stuff inside out", making it a waste of money.

/just curious
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »

I'm just curious as to which microphone manufacturers, in your opinion, don't "know their stuff inside out", making it a waste of money.

/just curious

Well, for a starter, some of the Chinese mics. If you buy a batch, you get them with your logo on. Typically the local company that has its logo on the outside has nary got a clue, they simply push stuff out the door. And sending them back to China is not quite an option.

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com