Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann 140 vs Neumann 84i  (Read 10636 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Neumann 140 vs Neumann 84i
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:28 PM »
I know there is a difference, but what is it? What are the sonic qualities of both.

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: Neumann 140 vs Neumann 84i
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:07 PM »
Busman might know.  He bought some 84i's and sold me his 140's.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:29 PM »
I know there is a difference, but what is it? What are the sonic qualities of both.

Trey

Freq. response for one:

http://www.microphone-data.com/microphone.asp?mic=1518

http://www.microphone-data.com/microphone.asp?mic=505

Note: free to register to this site.  Great place for finding specs on most mics and models.

Seems the noise floor is slightly higher on the km84 ( to be expected on an older mic) but a MUCH flatter freq response. 

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:24:05 AM »
I may be remembering wrong, but I thought the km84 used a nickel capsule not gold-spluttered mylar.  The km84 might be a transformer mic as well.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:28:13 AM »
The KM83, KM84 and KM85 shared the same preamplifier body and differed only in their interchangeable small diaphragm capsules. The 83 was omni, the more common 84 cardioid and the 85 was a cardioid with LF roll-off (12dB @50Hz). The diaphragms were gold-coated Mylar. The microphones were intended for use in broadcasting, film and recording studios and could be fitted with various capsule extension tubes if needed. The output impedance could also be selected to 50ohms to feed loads as low as 250ohms. Suffix i microphones had an XLR connector. The KM7x series were broadly similar but for use with T-power (modulation lead powering).

Of course I'm no expert on Neumann mics, just copied what was listed in the link I posted above  :)  No idea about whether or not there was an output transformer.

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 02:11:32 AM »
the KM 8x (introduced in 1966) series are semiconductor-based (tranformer-based) systems, unlike the km100 series which is transformerless.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »
The subject of KM18x vs KM8x series Neumanns has come up a few times on the SOS forums. There's a general feeling that the old KM8x series were better/nicer sounding mics than the new KM18x equivalents (which Neumann claim are identical to the KM100 series and only cheaper because they lose the interchangable capsules), regardless of the technical improvements in the noise specs of the newer mics.

A couple of relevant threads may be found here and here

(Mods: I hope it's ok to link to other forums - apologies and please delete if not.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:16:50 AM by 0vu »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
The subject of KM18x vs KM8x series Neumanns has come up a few times on the SOS forums. There's a general feeling that the old KM8x series were better/nicer sounding mics than the new KM18x equivalents (which Neumann claim are identical to the KM100 series and only cheaper because they lose the interchangable capsules), regardless of the technical improvements in the noise specs of the newer mics.

(Mods: I hope it's ok to link to other forums - apologies and please delete if not.)

that isn't the neumann claim at all.  neumann says the KM-100 with the AK capsules is the same as 18x series with only the capsules being different. 

the KM-8x series, released in 1966 was the first move from tube mics to a transformer system.  In 1983, at the AES convention in Amsterdam, Neumann released the TLM technology which allowed for the use of active cables, and hence the modular mini mics.  the transformers in the 84s will make them sound different than the tranformerless mics.  the spectra are slightly different, and in listening, the 84s sound "warmer" or "more well rounded" to my ear...

http://www.kinovox.dk/docs/Neumann_history.PDF
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:32:38 PM »
a buddy of mine has some km84i's, and they sound NOTHING like 184s/140s.
its far "fatter" and warmer sounding.  detailed...but not that wet slappy sound (that I love so much) w/the newer KMs.
Its like the 148 of neumanns, and probably sounds best w/a clean preamp that will not color the mics as they have much flavor on their own.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
thanks for the input nick
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

that isn't the neumann claim at all.  neumann says the KM-100 with the AK capsules is the same as 18x series with only the capsules being different. 

the KM-8x series, released in 1966 was the first move from tube mics to a transformer system.  In 1983, at the AES convention in Amsterdam, Neumann released the TLM technology which allowed for the use of active cables, and hence the modular mini mics.  the transformers in the 84s will make them sound different than the tranformerless mics.  the spectra are slightly different, and in listening, the 84s sound "warmer" or "more well rounded" to my ear...

http://www.kinovox.dk/docs/Neumann_history.PDF

I'm not sure you got what I was saying. I didn't say that Neumann claim the KM18x/KM100 mics are the same as the old transformer based KM8x series; I said that they claim the KM18x and KM100 series are the same. I've checked again and the Neumann claim is that the KM18x series of fixed capsule mics is basically the same as the (equivalent patterns) in the KM100 series of interchangable capsule mics. They originally shared identical electronics too but the electronics in the KM18x series were updated several years ago and are now quieter than the KM100 series. They do also state that (some of) the capsules in the KM100/KM18x series are the same as the original KM8x (fet80) series but the electronics and acoustic design of the capsule housings are different.

I have KM83, 84, 85, 88, and KM100/AK20, 30, 31, 40, and 43 mics/capsules and I'm pretty used to the sonic differences. I generally prefer the older mics, (especially the KM84 over the KM140 - 'well rounded' is a good description of the difference ) except where I need the  flexibility of the active cables/tubes and mounting systems of the KM100 series. I do find the KM131 to be very similar to the KM83 though. The 83 has some LF 'warmth' and perhaps softness/muddiness (on a bad day), presumably from the transformer, whilst the KM130 has a cleaner, tighter sounding (though no less extended)  LF; the upper ranges are pretty much the same though and neither is 'better'. Some days one suits, some days it's the other.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
Sonically, the main difference between the KM 84 and KM 140 is that the KM 140 has slightly greater response around 9 - 10 kHz; the difference is a tiny bit more than 1 dB. Of the two, the KM 84 is closer to being flat or neutral sounding although it, too, has a small bump in that region (not shown in 1970s or later response graphs; it falls entirely within the 2.5 dB tolerance field but it is definitely there).

The KM 84's capsule did not have a metal membrane; even the predecessor models KTM, KM 64, U 64 and KM 74 had Mylar membranes. The only Neumann small cardioid with a metal membrane was the KM 54 microphone from the vacuum tube era.

Electronically the KM 140 is more sensitive, quieter, has a considerably higher SPL limit, and is less readily affected by cable capacitance, but it requires more current from the phantom power supply that drives it. The acoustically identical, non-modular model KM 184 is 3 dB quieter even than the KM 140 and otherwise has the same specs and sound. The KM 84 had a transformer output while the KM 140 and KM 184 are transformerless.

Personally I prefer the KM 84's high frequency response characteristic, and wish that Neumann had never changed this, though I don't doubt that it was requested of them. Apparently at one point an important Japanese customer (radio station or network) ordered a batch of microphones using the transformerless KM 184 electronics but the replaceable capsules and rear entry port arrangement of the original KM 84; I wish that combination was available to everyone. (It isn't--I've asked.)

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 12:58:20 AM »
If you have a good pair of 84-s hold on to them and treat them well. They are getting an almost mythical reputation as they are now vintage stuff and will probably keep on rising in value. Perhaps not the very best idea then to take them to shows for taping. In the meantime the KM140 (and even more so the lower priced KM184) is a very respectable nice mic for a lot of uses. Of course there are a lot of other mics too choose from at that price point. None of them will be any guarantee for a good recording, you still need to know how to use them.

GUnnar

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
None of them will be any guarantee for a good recording, you still need to know how to use them.

GUnnar

well what good are they then?
;-)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I say use them if you have them. The sound quality in this type of microphone depends mainly on the capsule, and replacement KK 84 capsules (just like they used to be) are still available from Neumann as replacement parts. Unfortunately those capsules cost $600+ apiece, last I checked.

"They are getting an almost mythical reputation as they are now vintage stuff and will probably keep on rising in value"--in constant dollars (i.e. prices adjusted for inflation) their value has not increased, and the prices paid for some "vintage" microphones don't seem quite as dazzling when you look at them this way. For example when the KM 84 was introduced it cost 6 cents to mail a letter in the U.S., and now it costs 41 cents. The KM 84 was listed at $252 in Gotham Audio's 1969 price list, but in today's dollars that would be something like $1411. Good used KM 84s sell for only about half that amount.

The KM 140 and KM 184 use the same internal capsule parts (diaphragm and backplate) but ... well, you see how Martin Schneider from Neumann described this recently on http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?site=neumann&bn=neumann_micrec&key=1181210382 and in one other reply that follows that message.

Incidentally, I've measured KM 84 amplifiers carefully using a special "measurement test head" designed by Neumann for this purpose, and in every microphone of the series I've checked, the actual maximum SPL was several dB higher than what the printed specifications used to say. The maximum SPL for < 0.5% THD used to be given as 120 dB, but according to my tests they could well have specified 125 dB SPL. Also, the distortion curve doesn't hit a "brick wall" even then.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:04:01 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com