Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed on sp-cmc8-mics..  (Read 11442 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help needed on sp-cmc8-mics..
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
And ummm my preamp is not $280 it never has been $280 right now its actually on sale for $140.00  ;)

Nice plug! :)

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »
And ummm my preamp is not $280 it never has been $280 right now its actually on sale for $140.00  ;)

Actually I do use nice plug's I use gold plated Neutrik :) Not cheap shit ass made in China shit.

Thank you Thank you. I will be here all week :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
My bad i thought it was stated your pre was 280, he actually said 230 which apparently is not correct. So it would be slightly cheaper..if you didnt in fact need a bb. Now ,i fully know you came up with the mod first...i said "sp mod" because i understand they do a copy(kinda) of yours but its inferior. Also , i am not targeting you at all , i am targeting the numerous statements about this mod being "the best" option...which implies that..that it is the best in every case. I do not accept that statement. It depends on the exact rig you are running. Thats all i am getting at...and honestly the size of my rig isnt a problem for me at all. I just think when people inquire about these AT mic options...that we here dont just give them one and then say its the only or ultimately best way to go.         and lastly ..dont apologize for pitching your gear...if you didnt, you wouldnt be a very good business man. :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
My bad i thought it was stated your pre was 280, he actually said 230 which apparently is not correct. So it would be slightly cheaper..if you didnt in fact need a bb. Now ,i fully know you came up with the mod first...i said "sp mod" because i understand they do a copy(kinda) of yours but its inferior. Also , i am not targeting you at all , i am targeting the numerous statements about this mod being "the best" option...which implies that..that it is the best in every case. I do not accept that statement. It depends on the exact rig you are running. Thats all i am getting at...and honestly the size of my rig isnt a problem for me at all. I just think when people inquire about these AT mic options...that we here dont just give them one and then say its the only or ultimately best way to go.         and lastly ..dont apologize for pitching your gear...if you didnt, you wouldnt be a very good business man. :)

Dont sweat it. I spent alot of time working this stuff out and finding a better way to build the wheel. There is no one package including mine that is everything to everyone.

Chris

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

Actually I do use nice plug's I use gold plated Neutrik :) Not cheap shit ass made in China shit.

Thank you Thank you. I will be here all week :)

**rim shot**
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 08:55:05 PM »
i'm confused

so if you have SP 853s
AND
battery box you should be fine?

you only really need the 4.7 mod if going directly into a recorder?

thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »
i'm confused

so if you have SP 853s
AND
battery box you should be fine?

you only really need the 4.7 mod if going directly into a recorder?

thanks

Stock 853's will overload with out my mod.

nameloc01

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 09:25:19 PM »
The 853 get overpowered at higher spls when not being powered with a 3 wire phantom power setup or not being modified with the 4.7 mod and a standard bb. If you run them not modded or without a 3 wire phantom setup and with just a standard 2 wire bb you are going to have problems (at louder shows)  decide which one of the two mentioned options will work out best for you. Do not just run standard 853>2 wire bb.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
Looks like you're still not quite getting it...

Three wire power does NOT require the phantom adapters.  You can run the miniXLR terminated mics directly into a suitable 3 wire battery box or preamp.  Not many people offer them but I believe Chris Church can make you one if you wish.  The phantom adapters do nothing but add bulk, although if you've got them you might as well use them.  There's nothing inherently bad about them (other than the bulk) but not worth seeking out IMO.

The price I quoted for the mics was from visiting SoundProfessionals website today.  You can check yourself if you don't believe me.

I never said Chris' preamp cost 280, I quoted the 230 that his eBay store lists it at but also pointed out that he offers it for 180 (now apparently 140) in the Retail Space forum. 

Edit:  Also, there's nothing "inferior" about the "low sensitvity mod" offered by SP vs. the 4.7K mod invented by Chris Church.  It's the same thing.  One might not like the fact that they copied it (then again, it's not as if Chris patented it and I doubt he gets rich doing it for people, seems like he's doing you a favor by offering the mod at the price he does), but it performs exactly the same because it is the same.  I'd suggest if someone is buying a new set of mics from SP they might as well have SP do it rather than wait for the mics to arrive from New Jeresey only to ship them off to Canada.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:46:51 PM by Will_S »

nameloc01

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
No apparently you dont get it...tell me what would happen when running 853s directly into a denecke 48v 3 wire phantom supply?  The mics would fry. The adaptors step dowm the 48v to a smaller usable voltage. Not to mention the mics have mini xlrs and the ps2 has full size xlrs they also physically adapt them. Wake up.

nameloc01

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »
And also i believe chris has stated sp uses different components than him. And i do believe he stated they were not quite as good. Letmme guess...you have 853 modded 4.7 by sp ? 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
The 853 get overpowered at higher spls when not being powered with a 3 wire phantom power setup or not being modified with the 4.7 mod and a standard bb. If you run them not modded or without a 3 wire phantom setup and with just a standard 2 wire bb you are going to have problems (at louder shows)  decide which one of the two mentioned options will work out best for you. Do not just run standard 853>2 wire bb.
i have the sound pro 853s run into a single 1/8 plug
that i plug into a sound pro battery box w/bass roll which has a single 1/8 that goes into the recorder

so the 4.7 mod would prob be best for me over changing to a complete 3 wire set up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

nameloc01

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:28 PM »
And lastly...if you find a porta 48v supply built better than a denecke ...letmme know. Good luck on that one.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »
And lastly...if you find a porta 48v supply built better than a denecke ...letmme know. Good luck on that one.

You are either a troll or really really dense.

3 wire power is not the same as phantom power.  3 wire power is what the adapters supply, but you can also build a box that does this directly from a 9V battery rather than providing phantom power only to cut it back down.

I was the one who pointed out to you that running the AT853 caps directly off phantom power would fry them.  But that is not the same as running them off three wire power.

The Denecke is a decent phantom power supply but there is absolutely no reason to use a phantom supply with the AT853s, as the capsules don't actually see 48V.

Oh, and I did the 4.7K mod myself.   :P

nameloc01

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
Yes...since they already haue a single termination. I suppose. Again it comes down to what you need and $. I actually had mine like that originally but went with the xlrs and ps2 ...i just wanted to keep them stock and run them 3 wire...the way they were designed. i'm just funny that way.  Although i guess i could have went one step further and got the AT power modules.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com