Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First Time Taper!  (Read 7615 times)

Offline kp_centi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: First Time Taper!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »
So I had this silly idea of sticking cotton in holes of the case of my phone. I also didn't realize there was a recording volume option in the recorder app I use, so I set it to 50%.
I played some music really loud from my music setup at home, and stuck both sides of the mic to the speakers and sub at a loud volume, and no distortion. It is a little bit low, but I'm sure I can fix that in editing afterwards!!

I am excited! I'm going to the (G)I-DLE Show tomorrow, I hope the recording is better :D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 10:30:52 AM »
So I had this silly idea of sticking cotton in holes of the case of my phone. I also didn't realize there was a recording volume option in the recorder app I use, so I set it to 50%.
I played some music really loud from my music setup at home, and stuck both sides of the mic to the speakers and sub at a loud volume, and no distortion. It is a little bit low, but I'm sure I can fix that in editing afterwards!!

I am excited! I'm going to the (G)I-DLE Show tomorrow, I hope the recording is better :D
try testing it at 75 and also at 100 and see if it comes out NOT low?
Obviously you don't want it to overload but it's nice to know a usable range. 30%-70%?
10%-90% like a sony? (level knob goes 0 - 10 and it works best at anything between 1-9 with the sweetest spot between 3-4 but up to 7 still very good)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »

Obviously you don't want it to overload but it's nice to know a usable range. 30%-70%?
10%-90% like a sony? (level knob goes 0 - 10 and it works best at anything between 1-9 with the sweetest spot between 3-4 but up to 7 still very good)

I might have to try 75% for next time. I tried 100% with the cotton in the holes, and it was still distorting randomly, so I figured do both. I wish I could just get sweet with the audio people get get Line outs lol, but who does that?! haha

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 08:16:00 PM »
I started fiddling with Processing the audio, I realized how lacking i am with EQing and other audio editing skills. Puts me to shame knowing i've done live audio and recorded before haha.

Here's 2 songs:

RAW https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rQnQqpKNbkdy3ACJH_7DCYJySlODGUbr/view?usp=sharing

Edited https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wLDkiu7OVMsunNMPUGS5ly3EG1iYUsFI/view?usp=sharing

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »

I might have to try 75% for next time. I tried 100% with the cotton in the holes, and it was still distorting randomly, so I figured do both. I wish I could just get sweet with the audio people get get Line outs lol, but who does that?! haha

It happens! Never hurts to ask the musician.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 11:49:56 PM »
If you are really serious about taping you might want to explore getting better tools for the job.  The effort taping is the same but the results are consistently better. 

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 07:54:34 PM »

Not sure where I'd even go about that. These are like pretty popular girl groups in korea from huge entertainment agencies.

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »
If you are really serious about taping you might want to explore getting better tools for the job.  The effort taping is the same but the results are consistently better.

Do you have any advice? It seems very difficult to bring an actual audio recorder to venues since they only allow cell phones. Is there any decent small mics for android?

Offline vibrioidxire

• Taperssection Regular
  • Where am I?
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 02:55:58 AM »
Not sure if it’s in your price range but there’s the good ol’ Shure MV88.
Mics: SP-CMC-4U (4.7k mod) (c, h, o caps) - Shure SM57 (2x), & SM58.
BB's: SP-SPSB-10, SP-SPSB-20
Recs: Sony PCM-A10, ICD-SX2000, ICD-UX570 - TASCAM DR-05, DR-2d - Roland R-07

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 03:05:37 AM »

Do you have any advice? It seems very difficult to bring an actual audio recorder to venues since they only allow cell phones. Is there any decent small mics for android?

Been doing that for 40 years.  Look in the kickdown section for examples.  I am listening to a recording I just made.  Taping was definitely not permitted. 

If you are getting permission you will need more than a phone to do that right. 

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 06:50:59 PM »

Not sure where I'd even go about that. These are like pretty popular girl groups in korea from huge entertainment agencies.
I try to get ahold of the artist if they're accessible, otherwise the management.

If that doesn't work, and you're dedicated, listen to Daspy. Most folks here have made recordings without permission too.

Here's my "don't have permission" rig:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1447756-REG/sony_pcm_a10_high_resolution_audio_recorder.html

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-SPSB-4/

https://www.church-audio.com/product-category/microphones/#shop (I have a set of both CA-14 omnis and cardioids)

Online mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 07:22:13 PM »
Well it's a good thing I read this thread.  Does that batter box have a replaceable or built in battery?  Can't really tell from the web page.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 08:15:09 PM »
Well it's a good thing I read this thread.  Does that batter box have a replaceable or built in battery?  Can't really tell from the web page.
Page says:
"Power module has 30-50 hour battery life (12v A23 battery)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A23_battery
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 01:33:01 AM »

The battery is cheap and replaceable.

Offline DuctTaper42

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 02:59:19 AM »
Quote from: roffels .
[quote author=roffels link=topic=200198.msg2381695#msg2381695 date=1660171859

Here's my "don't have permission" rig:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1447756-REG/sony_pcm_a10_high_resolution_audio_recorder.html

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-SPSB-4/

https://www.church-audio.com/product-category/microphones/#shop (I have a set of both CA-14 omnis and cardioids)

The mics look to be out of stock, any idea how often they restock?
Church CA-14 > UBB > Roland R-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com