Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RCA Interconnect -Suggestions  (Read 3543 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
RCA Interconnect -Suggestions
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »
I wasn't sure if this should go in to the Cables, Playback or Ask The tapers Section. So feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place

OK here is the situation.

looking for some reasonably priced suggestions (lets say under $150.00).

They will primarily be used as the RCA interconnect from a Nakamichi LX-5 -> Soundcard. These will be doing HQ analog master transfers from Deck to PC. After the project I would like to move them to my playback but that all depends.

So suggest away. Any cables better suited for this purpose than others ? Or does it just come down to the old interconnect shoot out. I am leaning towards toddr at the moment. I love my speaker cables and COAX he has made me but figured I see what you all had to say about this subject

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: RCA Interconnect -Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
The Belden Quad Star that i have been using with Kind Kables would be perfect for what you need.
They will cost a whole less than $150 too.
Thanks
Ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 03:35:49 PM »
Atlas' Questor RCA is the best budget cable I've ever heard.  It's conductor uses OCC copper (single-crystal...the good stuff) and is probably the cheapest IC on the market to use OCC copper.  It's not bright, it's got a musical midrange and the bass is solid.  I was pretty stunned listening to this cable for the first time.  We swore off IC's under $300 a while back.  This cable finally made us eat those words.  If you'd like a set, they're $110 for a 1m set and we'll take care of paypal and FedEx Ground shipping for you.  These cables are a steal.

Chris

edit:  I should also mention the Questor is unbalanced. Unbalanced IC's are generally accepted as being better for playback devices (exept for turntables).  Balanced ICs can roll off some treble frequencies when used in a pseudo-balanced configuration.  Thee is a short novel written by Ovu at http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=61837.0 regarding balanced applications.  Great job Ovu!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:59:36 PM by cshepherd »

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »
note to self - anything cable related post here  ;D

Chris sent you a PM.

I appreciate the suggestions all.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »
I've been very happy with VenHaus Pulsars and Z-squared AU toplines.  Both are available for under $150.  You can get the z-squared wires off auction on agon for less if you are lucky but if you contact the guy directly you can usually get them for $120 for a meter pair.  The Pulsars with copper bullets benefitted from a cryo treatment.   Both wires compared very favorably with MIT 330 shotguns that are 2x the price used.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »
I've been very happy with VenHaus Pulsars and Z-squared AU toplines.  Both are available for under $150.  You can get the z-squared wires off auction on agon for less if you are lucky but if you contact the guy directly you can usually get them for $120 for a meter pair.  The Pulsars with copper bullets benefitted from a cryo treatment.   Both wires compared very favorably with MIT 330 shotguns that are 2x the price used.

Z-squared is local, thanks, I'll have to check those out!

http://z2audio.com/
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
So I decided to go with the Atlas cables Chris had suggested. Below is my quick "review" of my experience

My playback is pretty humble.

Pioneer Elite DV-45a -> Atlas Interconnetcs -> marantz SR880 -> Toddr's Segue silver clad speaker cables -> Klipsch KG1.5V (Bookshelf speakers)
Energy e:xl 12 subwoofer

I really like the build quailty. They felt like a nice set of cables. good aesthetics. When I got them hooked up and started giving them a listen for the first 3 hours or so I was like oh no these sound crunchy etc sort of bright. But it had only been about 3hrs so I pushed on. I would say shortly after they really seemed to open up. I was getting resonance from my 24/48 masters that I hadn't heard before. I asked my Girlfriend if i was hearing stuff because the notes seemed to just float thru my apt. The longer I had them in the better they got. I was actually quite surprised by the difference a few hours made on the cables.

Unfortunately for me these were to do analog cassette master transfers. So I burned them in and then packed them up to go to upsate NY. Nakamichi LX-5 -> Atlas -> PC. So they are now currently being used for this task and no longer in my playback system Sad

I was extremely happy with my purchase and thought your customer service was excellent. As soon as I packed them up I wanted a new set. I may do that soon. When I do you'll be the first to know.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the favorable review.  It is very much appreciated.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com