Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: laptop power help  (Read 6137 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
laptop power help
« on: March 16, 2004, 03:12:04 PM »
Okie guys,  I have a question.  I bought a new laptop, And I DO NOT know how to power it in the field.  I checked Valence(even called them) they do not have a system to power mine(19.5V 1.8A)  I have looked around, even pm'd a few people.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how to power a laptop in the field??  ANY help would be appreciated.  I have searched, and most of what I found was Valence.  If at all possible, I would LOVE to power my UA-5 off the same source(haha..stretch I know).  Thanx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re:laptop power help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 03:46:35 PM »
For my Mac i have used the 2 internals but my old lappy had a car adapter kit available from the manufacturer.  If yours has a car kit i'd snag that and hack it into a 12v SLA.  This would probably be the cheapest.  If that does not interest you there are products such as
http://www.valence.com/ specifically made for a laptop.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »
What kind of laptop are you using?

I just flipped my Valance around & the connector says 19.5V. the unit is 16-24v. Its the one for Compaq, HP, Dell, VPR matrix, toshiba & winbook.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 07:12:47 PM »
I have a sony FRV26.  I called Valence, and they said nothing would support it.  Maybe I will call back again, This is very frustrating.  So I am assuming you are using the 130?  Thanx
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:22:12 PM by razorback »
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 08:34:29 PM »
You might build your own battery pack (i think 16 batteries in series would provide 19.2 (16*1.2v) also two 9.6V RC batteries).  Then try and find a damaged AC adapter on ebay, or somewhere, and splice on the adapter to the pack.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »
Yea it's the 130.

www.Batteryspace.com has some laptop battery packs. You may check into those. Good luck.
TDS!

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
Batteryspace's laptop battery packs only work if your lappie works off a 12V or lower internal battery.

For the kind of power you need & to get runtimes that are worth it you might need to go lead.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 05:03:03 PM »
I dont mind sla(even the weight)...what I would like is some help to figure out which i need.  I have found a 12V sla (to run in tandem for 24V).  it is 12AH.  Do you multply this x 2 also?  i.e  12V x 2 = 24V  ...  12AH x 2 = 24AH?  or will it still be 12?  How can I find the actual pull from my laptop so I can figure how long this puppy will last??  I would like to power my UA-5 and a jb3 off the 24V also...can this be done?  thanx
Auditory
it's magic 

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 05:46:43 AM »
tandem? wtf is tamdem?

you either wire in series or in parallel.

in series, you wire negative from 1st batt to pos of 2nd batt. then you double the voltage, current doesnt change.  
(2) 12V 12ah batts in series = 24V 12ah

in parallel, you jump the two pos together and the two negs together. then you double the current, voltage doesnt change.
(2) 12V 12ah batts in parallel = 12V 24ah

skalinder, jump in here if you must......

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 09:55:59 AM »
+t thanx rabhan   that is exactly what I was looking for.  I guess im just sol right now.
Auditory
it's magic 

rabhan

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 10:24:59 AM »
if you laptop is rated for 19.5V, 24 might not be too much, you would have to call your laptop manufacturer. however, carrying 2 12Vs would be suicide on your back anywhoo. that sucker of a laptop must have a 20" LCD on it to need that much voltage.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

I've got a Sony GRT-100 with a 16.1" screen, 2.8Ghz P4.  19.5V 6.5a output on the wallwart.

You're correct with the serial/parallel thing on the battery hookup, keeping in mind that a device will only draw the amount of current it requires, but providing the wrong VOLTAGE can fry it.

I carry 2 EC-90 12v/7ah's for the rig.  They sure FEEL heavier than the 5.5lbs they're supposed to weigh.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline chris dragon

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Burp!...Uhhhh....Nice Barley!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 09:57:27 PM »

Throw this sucker in your trunk as back up. It has a handle to easily carry, with lots of features. We pushed CD's with a HUGE boom box with big ass bass, cranked "all day"... beside the pool last summer, and it never droped off. You might get busted trying to walk into a Amp Theatre, but small clubs should be fine. Just a thought.

$149.00 Canadian Dollars...That's like a buck 99 USD

Do a google on this :

Motomaster Eliminator 400W Power Box

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 11:25:42 PM »

Throw this sucker in your trunk as back up. It has a handle to easily carry, with lots of features. We pushed CD's with a HUGE boom box with big ass bass, cranked "all day"... beside the pool last summer, and it never droped off. You might get busted trying to walk into a Amp Theatre, but small clubs should be fine. Just a thought.

$149.00 Canadian Dollars...That's like a buck 99 USD

Do a google on this :

Motomaster Eliminator 400W Power Box

May buy this for camping. I also want to do some video recordings this summer. I could run a VCR off it. Audio from rig/camcorder > VCR

a lot of shit to lug around. But hopefully in the end it will be worth it.
TDS!

Offline Skydogj

• Taperssection Regular
  • Down in the heat of Mississippi
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 04:57:55 AM by Skydogj »

Manfretto Black Stacker 13foot
AKG C2000B
Canare L-4E3-2P (15 foot)
Edirol UA-5
JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com