Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 142243 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
When someone literally screams into a mike within fractions-of-an-inch distances, 130 dB SPL, 140 dB SPL and even higher can be generated for short periods of time. This is why some head-worn microphones, such as DPA's, are designed with such high maximum SPL limits. With even a foot of distance between the mouth and the mike, most people can't produce 130 dB SPL at the mike with the voice alone.

But there's an art to screaming

yeah im not Mike Patton, but i did my best
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2020, 04:01:22 AM »
im calling foul on the dracast 2200 mAh NP-F

got a generic 4400 mAh from amazon and  the 6-channel recording test ran 7hr40mins*, at which point it filled up card and stopped recording, and still had juice left over

will try tomorrow with a bigger card

*edit about 9h30m on a retest
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:05:01 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2020, 07:55:52 AM »
im calling foul on the dracast 2200 mAh NP-F

got a generic 4400 mAh from amazon and  the 6-channel recording test ran 7hr40mins, at which point it filled up card and stopped recording, and still had juice left over

will try tomorrow with a bigger card

Well, you see why I returned that Dracast 2200 mAah battery - it just isn't up to the task of powering this recorder beyond minimal-draw scenarios.

The Dracast 6600 mAh continues to be a beast for me.

Good to hear that you are getting good performance out of your generic 4400 mAh.  People should be careful with those, however.  I hear that some of those cheapo generic NP-F batteries are lying about their true capacity.  Sounds like you got a good one in this case.  Would you mind linking it here?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2020, 02:27:14 PM »
yes its a shame the 2200mA comes up short, again, zoom's high low-voltage cutoff really hinders it. im guessing most other 2200 mA batteries would perform similarly

i cant recommend the 4400 (NP-F750) i bought- the cheap wall charger was nonfunctional out of the box, batt and charger are getting returned. Charger goes to green light immediately and cell voltage never moves. ive been using the dracast wall charger to charge it. The two wall chargers are almost identical (the new one doesnt have the annoying universal adapter plate that comes off with the battery most times, but it also doesnt work, either ;)  )...with their subtle differences its as if they are both modeled after/knockoffs of the official sony charger

after studying more than i care to know about NP-Fs (heres a decent general info vid on the different sizes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPbgHOFNZY), it seems that multiple videographers are recommending the DSTE brand

https://www.amazon.com/DSTE-Replacement-Compatible-CCD-TRV215-HDR-FX1000/dp/B00M2U6KEQ

seems that all the cheap wall chargers that come with these batteries range from non-functional to at best an anemic 600-800 mA charge rate which is a poor match for large batteries, and a separate charger must be purchased if you want to rapid charge

here are some rapid chargers, with state of charge indication, that ive been looking at.

Yongnuo YN750C doesnt come with charger or list output current specs, but youtube review guy says it charges two 7500 mAh batteries in under 6 hours so it seems like its coming up on 1500 mA per battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vujt57WlKgg
https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professional-Lithium-Charging-Compatible/dp/B07QNJ22SF

---------------------------
this Neewer one does 1500 mA x 1, or 800 mA x2, and seems like a good middle-of-the-road solution. for $30 it comes with both AC and DC adapters

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Dual-Channel-Display-Camcorder-Batteries/dp/B01N8Y0A7B

---------------------------
this Newmowa is another interesting one, also has state of charge, current varies with number of batteries being concurrently charged, it has 2000 mA to spread around (2000mA x 1, 1000x2, 650x3)

https://www.amazon.com/Newmowa-3-Channel-Charger-NP-F550-NP-F750/dp/B076CD1786

--------------------------------

in general, these are pretty handy, cheap ubiquous batteries, a cheap adapter palte could be used to run a 6V piece of gear no problem

basic cheap plate with adaptable coax jack:
https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Battery-Adapter-Plate-cable/dp/B01FYSD1VC

or something like this, with a fixed cable you could hack off the dummy battery and put the appropriate connector on the end (like a locking switchcraft for a V3)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHK8TVC/?coliid=IB1PWMG6RPKRQ

or this deluxe one i mentioned above with DC and USB output
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Junkie-NP-F-Blind-Spot/dp/B07NF14XW4

you could even double these up on a V-mount adapter+d-tap cable to power 12V equipment like an AD2K
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Battery-V-Mount-Converter-Alternative/dp/B075R8DMKF
https://www.amazon.com/INKECI-D-Tap-5-5x2-5-V-Mount-Monitor/dp/B08153Y3YM

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:12:00 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
Wow, thanks for the extensive research, Jerry!

Since we've been occupying the F6 thread with a good deal of battery discussion, I wonder if it might be best to start a thread dedicated to NP-F batteries and chargers rather than continue the discussion here.  That might be useful to the many other people out there using this style of battery but are not F6 owners.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
i actually considered that the last few posts, then decided to keep it brief and topical... then the posts ran away anyway

here goes: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193221.0

really impressed with the zoom's triple-power ability, since it is less power hungry it works with alot more usb-c batteries than the mixpre, which specifically requires a usb-c battery. I've powered the zoom on occasion with more common usb batts with a usb-a to usb-c cable (though i havent tested it to its limits, yet)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:49:05 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2020, 01:45:11 AM »
first outing at UM this weekend, batted 1000

in columbus oldandintheway ran his 4011C>SX-M2D2>iphone, i ran 4011C>F6 on same stand

should be a good comp

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
first outing at UM this weekend, batted 1000

in columbus oldandintheway ran his 4011C>SX-M2D2>iphone, i ran 4011C>F6 on same stand

should be a good comp

my show with the sonosax >iphone is up on the archive. i'm really impressed with the f6 solid build and small form . I can see one in my future . i think i need to off load some older gear though .

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2020, 10:42:44 AM »
cool i’ll put together some ABXs together with similar timing and levels.travel day today.

was cool to travel without battery chargers. i brought two of the smaller Lseries batteries. did 2 shows plus a late night set and never touched the internal AA backups
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:54:38 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2020, 05:41:36 AM »
im seeing some interesting power draw on my most recent test, using L-series with AAs inside, where previously i believe i tested the L-series without AAs inside

doing a runtime test on a previously untested (#3) 3000 mAh Newmowa NPF-550 clone, i ran with the display on low (as opposed to off) to see how battery drain was affected

watching displayed voltage over the course of the test, it was dropping voltage faster and i assumed it was due to display power draw, and based on early voltage numbers, I was expecting it to shave just over an hour off of the previously measured >4 hr run time (6ch phantom). but when it got to lower voltage the curve stretched out and stayed flatter... for a long time

which makes me think that one (or more?) of four things are happening:

1. it is beginning to pull *some* power from the internals in conjunction with the L-series to eek more power out of the L-series, and allow lower voltage draw on the L-series

2. it is pulling *all* power from AAs and the firmware has a bug that indicates power mistakenly being pulled from L-series

3. my previous voltage measurements were inaccurate as display was off and voltage would bounce when i turned it on to check voltage (less likely)

4. perhaps allowing the battery to sit idle overnight, the battery dissipated any surface charge and operated at a lower voltage, and more stable at lower voltage

in previous tests it dropped fast below 7.2V, and crashed hard at 6.9V, to the point where 6.9V was really just an end data point for graphing purposes, as 6.9V would be displayed for a minute or less. IIRC, in the earlier tests, the last datapoint on the x-axis was obtained from looking at the total file time recorded after it shut itself off

in this case it stretched way out at lower voltages, with stable operation down to 6.6V (for at least 5 minutes or so, 6.6V is the last voltage displayed before it swaps to internal AA power)

i should be able to determine whether scenario 1 or 2 is occurring by measuring resting end voltages on the batteries after the test. If it truly does pull from both series that would extend the use of both batteries as reduced current draw keeps both above their cutoff voltages

I think ill also experiment with my benchtop CC/CV power supply to see if i can determine power draw through L-series terminals at various voltages and use cases.

Whatever i did, im going to figure it out as i got darn near 5 hrs from that 3000 mAh battery. it definitely drained it more than my other tests, resting voltage was a shade below 7.0V after testing

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:46:56 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline Nico11104

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My records on the Live Music Archive
Streaming while recording: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
Has anyone successfully streamed via USB while recording on the F6?  The marketing materials and user's manual indicate it's possible, but don't provide directions.  I've tried, using a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter connected to an iPhone 7 and the Mixlr app, while powering the unit with a Sony L-mount battery.  I also tried it with my iPad with similar lack of success.  (Note: the "power source" icon alternates between "Ext. 8.3 volts" and "USB 5.0 volts" when doing so).  The iOS devices don't display any messages, nor do they appear to be receiving data from the F6.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you, Fred
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:58:18 AM by Nico11104 »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Re: Streaming while recording: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
Has anyone successfully streamed via USB while recording on the F6?  The marketing materials and user's manual indicate it's possible, but don't provide directions.  I've tried, using a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter connected to an iPhone 7 and the Mixlr app, while powering the unit with a Sony L-mount battery.  I also tried it with my iPad with similar lack of success.  (Note: the "power source" icon alternates between "Ext. 8.3 volts" and "USB 5.0 volts" when doing so).  The iOS devices don't display any messages, nor do they appear to be receiving data from the F6.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you, Fred
i got audio into my se but mixlr didn’t like the signal.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=190161.msg2319720#msg2319720

i can experiment more but ive given up on streaming with the unit as its limited to 24/48 and i bought it to use as a 32-bit recorder

last time i ran, i just did a separate d:vice rig for streaming. in this case mixlr also did not necessarily play well with metarecorder with the d:vice. order of plugging in/launching apps needs to be specific for both to work

when metarecorder is used alone, d:vice and zoom both feed it good data, so it may be a mixlr thing.

you did set it up in the menu as  'AIF with rec' right, (i assume youre trying to record with the unit simultaneously)

you should see it as an audio device in ios on the tab that pops up for airdrop/screencasting

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:55:04 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline Nico11104

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My records on the Live Music Archive
Re: Streaming while recording: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2020, 03:55:37 PM »
i got audio into my se but mixlr didn’t like the signal.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=190161.msg2319720#msg2319720

i can experiment more but ive given up on streaming with the unit as its limited to 24/48 and i bought it to use as a 32-bit recorder

last time i ran, i just did a separate d:vice rig for streaming. in this case mixlr also did not necessarily play well with metarecorder with the d:vice. order of plugging in/maunching apps needs to be specific for both to work

when metarecorder is used alone, d:vice and zoom both feed it good data, so it may be a mixlr thing.

you did set it up in the menu as  'AIF with rec' right, (i assume youre trying to record with the unit simultaneously)

you should see it as an audio device in ios on the tab that pops up for airdrop/screencasting

Thank you, JF.  I was trying to stream in 32-bit float and therefore the 'AIF with rec' was greyed out.  I also bought it to use as a 32-bit recorder, so I'll just stream on Mixlr using my MV-88>iPhone

Thanks again.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2020, 01:51:44 AM »
minor FW update on the site, i dont playback from device, really, so im sticking with 1.20 which has served me well

Version 1.30
・ Released as following bug fix in January 2020
1. Some delay may occur before proper sound is output when both phantom power and limiter on the
track are ON.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
theres some 'refurbs' up on ebay for $549/best offer.

same seller has one for $508 on reverb

https://reverb.com/item/31892595-zoom-f6-multitrack-field-recorder
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:19:02 AM by jerryfreak »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com