Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: burning dvd-a's w/ wavelab5.0a  (Read 10274 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
burning dvd-a's w/ wavelab5.0a
« on: July 13, 2004, 03:29:04 PM »
i have been talking w/ a guy on dp.org and he asked me how i did  it. this is how i figured it out. any suggestions are welcome.

d

here goes:

open>wav
edit>create audio montage from wav
select whole range
click the cd tab & switch to dvd
click files tab
open folder and select wavs
click on the little magic wand lookin thing and set pause to zero seconds
click red dvd icon
i  always click ignore and set output folder to one named dvd-a
click red dvd icon again
give it a name
select disc-at-once>write

hope this helps and good luck. it was a pita to teach myself to do this. if you can figure out how to add nicer menus and still pictures let me know.  im happy w/ the crappy blue one w/ purple font.

discliamer: this has worked for me. if you find a better or different way let me know.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 04:35:39 PM by dre »
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
Re: burning dvd-a's w/ wavelab5.0a
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 03:58:17 PM »
+t for that!

I am venturing into WL5 very soon.  Thanks for the primer.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 05:00:32 PM »
WOW, thanks, i was just about to hop in head first and try to teach myself!

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 02:58:53 PM »
+T.  Let's archive this.  I think that there should be a 'tutorial's archive'.

Now all i need is a DVD-R.   :P

...Kk

same here, and i agree, this should be put in the archival forum
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclark

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 03:23:04 PM »
i posted this in this archives. didnt realize i could do it w/o a moderator's permission or whatever.

d.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 05:23:07 PM »
I'll add my .02 to the How-To above...

Go to File>New>Audio Montage>choose your sample rate... ( you can change it later by choosing Edit>Audio Properties)

Go to Edit pane>Mode pulldown>Mode DVD Audio

"             ">Fade pulldown>UNselect Create Default Fades In New Clips (keeps WL from putting fades at beg/end of each track)

"             ">Options pulldown>go to Edit Default Pre-gap>set to 0 sec (Keeps WL from putting gaps between tracks)

"             ">Options pulldown>Select Global Auto Grouping (lets you move a track to the right/left and all tracks to the right of

it move in unison)

Go to File>Save Special(montage)>choose Save As Template (so you won't have to go through all this every time)

Right click anywhere in the lower timeline area and choose Insert File(s)...

When you have everything edited the way you want it, Go to CD pane>Highlight DVD instead of CD>Choose CD wizard (magic wand)>I

uncheck adjust pause between tracks>hit apply

Then Check it by hitting Check (eyeglasses button)

If it checks out, Save the montage and move to the next part...

Go to File>New>DVD Audio Project

Click green Plus sign (add audio montage)>Navigate to your saved Montage from above and add it

Click Wrench icon (settings)>get your settings how you want them, add still pictures if you want

Click Orange Square thing (Edit menus)>tweak out your menu, add pics whatever

CLick Eyeglass icon (Check all)

If it checks out, Hit red CD icon (Create), and choose folder to output to

When done, Use Wavelab to burn the DVD using the folders that it output. ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 10:55:16 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 05:32:40 PM »
nice work. i couldn't have said it better myself.j/k, thanks for the extra info. im still not sure how to do the still photos and menus, but i dont mind not having them either as i usaully watch tv or surf ts.com when im playing dvd-a's. thanks again and +t.

d

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 05:42:21 PM »
to add pics just check the box for pics (wrench and/or organge thing icon) and navigate to your pic folder, and select them.  As for the menus, just play around and use the navigation buttons in the edit menu area to preview it.  I always use a DVD-RW to make sure it's like I want it.  Good luck! ;)
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Phil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 09:57:50 PM »
Nice..  I'm eager to try. +T to both!
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 03:24:24 AM »
I have had a problem in the montage while creating 24/96 DVD-a's.  I had to remaster/tweak all my wav files separately, then add them to the montage.  I wish I could do it all there.  I always get the dreaded 2GB limit while rendering.  I must say though, I LOVE WAVELAB 5!

I am still figuring things since upgrading too, so I am with you guys :)

shmurg

Help with the tickets if you like, some guy keeps hitting me with negatives because I wouldn't sell him something for nothing.  Anyway I'll keep you posted on any discoveries!

silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 03:40:55 AM »
Great tutorials.

I burned an audio-dvd with Wavelab 5.0a yesterday from 24/96 wav files but it won't play in my dvd player. Can I somehow have wavlab play it from my lappie dvd drive? Or is there software available for me to play it from my computer?

I noticed the data files on the dvd-audio disc is in the Audio_TS folder.    audio-dvd-creator makes a vob file in the video_TS folder. I'm a bit puzzled. Both are audio-dvds but both are made very differently. Are both the same quality?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 08:32:37 AM »
one is dvd-a and one isnt

wavelab creates "true" dvd-audio discs and the dvd-audio-creator doesnt make "true" dvd-a discs

the discs from wavelab will require a dvd-a player to play on a system, the audio-dvd-creator just makes basically a dvd with the high quality audio for you. im not sure about playing the true dvd-a's, unlress you can use a lappy to play them??? i dont know about that

silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 08:41:25 AM »
It's just as easy to play from my lappie so that's the reason I asked. I'll figure this thing out eventually although I doubt I know anyone with a DVD-A player  :P

I'm going to hit BB with a DVD-A disc in hand and see what I can find in a couple of hours ~9:30am EST. Wish me luck. Any brand name suggestions?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 08:49:16 AM »
im not real sure on them. i know there are some decent units in the <200$ range online

i think i was rec'd some pioneer units

check the playback forum!!!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 10:49:27 AM »
pioneer dv-563a

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 11:30:39 AM »
I am still trying to understand why people want to use DVD-A format for our purposes.  Can someone explain that to me? 

DVD-V is a more widely supported format.  The only benefit that I see from DVD-A is the additional supported sample rates, but who among us is recoding at 88.2k?  And if you can circulate at 48k, why record at 44.1 in the first place?  I just don't see the benefit of using DVD-A for 96k and 48k sourced material. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 03:49:05 PM »
I am still trying to understand why people want to use DVD-A format for our purposes.  Can someone explain that to me? 

DVD-V is a more widely supported format.  The only benefit that I see from DVD-A is the additional supported sample rates, but who among us is recoding at 88.2k?  And if you can circulate at 48k, why record at 44.1 in the first place?  I just don't see the benefit of using DVD-A for 96k and 48k sourced material. 

DVD-V only supports 16bit/48kHz while DVD-Audio supports 24bit/96kHz (maybe 192kHz?). So, to answer your question; for higher bit depth resolution.  ;)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 04:23:52 PM »

DVD-V only supports 16bit/48kHz while DVD-Audio supports 24bit/96kHz (maybe 192kHz?). So, to answer your question; for higher bit depth resolution.  ;)

not true.  DVD-V supports 16/48, 16/96, 24/48, and 24/96.

My reason is that my DVD-A player sounds much better than my old DVD-V player.  I have the software to do DVD-A, so why not?  I don't trade DVD-A's - people always want the FLAC's.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »

DVD-V supports 16, 20, and 24 bit LPCM at 48kHz and 96kHz.  Those are the same bit depths and a subset of the sample rates supported by the DVD-V specification.  You maybe thinking of limitations of a specific player that might not support the full DVD specification set.

DVD-A will support 192K, which is the only advantage I see for the format and until the Deva or SD boxes are widely available, there doesn't seem to be alot of people recording at 192K in the field.

reference: http://www.pioneer.co.jp/crdl/tech/dvd/5-3-e.html

I wasn't being rhetorical, I really do want to understand why people are using DVD-A when the more common DVD-V format players support the same sample rates commonly used for ambient recording (16/48, 24/48, 24/96).

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 04:39:04 PM »
My reason is that my DVD-A player sounds much better than my old DVD-V player.  I have the software to do DVD-A, so why not?  I don't trade DVD-A's - people always want the FLAC's.

Does your DVD-A player also support DVD-V format?  I would guess that any multi-format player will yield the same quality audio for a given set of LPCM samples regardless of the higher level storage format.

If you already have the SW for DVD-A, I can see why you would do it.  I'm thinking about issues encountered like silverbullet trying to get a disc to play in his DVD-V player and the burner SW writing a DVD-A formatted disc.  It seems that the portability issue for 96k and lower can be addressed easily by not doing DVD-A. 

I'm interested in this because when my new DAW machine gets here this weekend, I'm going to start transferring my 48/16 DAT masters to HD and then archiving on DVD.  I'm trying to pick a playable format and portability is an issue for me.  I may not trade in DVD format, but I would like to be able to take DVDs to some non-taper household and have a reasonable chance of it playing.

silverbullet

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2004, 04:48:57 PM »
pioneer dv-563a

I just picked up a new Pioneer DV-578A-s. BB had an opened 563a model but with no remote control for about $70. I brought with me a dvd-audio disc made by WaveLab 5.0a but it didn't play in the store on the 578A model. I saw the on screen menu pop up but no sound. I'm hoping it's b/c I made the dvd-audio disc wrong. I'll look into it some more. I've been saying that a lot lately. Can anyone confirm that wavlab dvd-audio disc will play in the Pioneer 578A-s model? I can't find anything on this newer model on this board.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 04:54:29 PM »

Does your DVD-A player also support DVD-V format?  I would guess that any multi-format player will yield the same quality audio for a given set of LPCM samples regardless of the higher level storage format.

yes.  and yes, I agree they should have identical audio performance from LPCM.  that said, my Panny multi-format DVD player has a setting when using DVD-A that "optimizes performance for audio quality" (I can't tell the difference).  I have no idea what that means, or what it does, but maybe some multi-format players do have better LPCM playback from DVD-A compared to DVD-V (no evidence whatsoever to back that up).

Anyone who spends >$100 these days on a DVD player will likely end up with one that supports DVD-A.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 04:57:52 PM »
Cool. I stand corrected. My bad. I tried to burn a 24bit show to a DVD-Video a little over a year ago and it was no dice. It threw back some crap about the specification not supporting it. I don't even remember what program it was, Nero or EZCD. I use WaveLab 5 now as well. I have only burned 1 DVD-A disc just to check it out. I can only play them back in my DVD burner with the correct software which is pointless for me as my computer runs to my home unit via optical. So, for me at the moment I have no use for DVD-A, and probably never will honestly since I just play FLACs.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 05:06:01 PM »
Silverbullet,

You might want to check this out if you have not already. Read the user comments. It says it will play DVD-A, not specifically ones burned in WaveLab though. As long as it is LPCM it should work.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=4355&Search=Search&#comments

silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 05:48:12 PM »
I just can't win. It's a conspiracy I tell ya :P

Well I'm burning my 10th DVD, my second Wavlab dvd-A. If that doesn't work then I'm returning the unit tomorrow for a refund or exchange. I still got micro gaps between tracks with the dvd-a disc burned with audio-dvd-creator. With that quality I might as well just burn the 24/96 tracks to DVD and just play them from my lappie and windows media player.

I'm still hangin' in there. barely

thanks for the update. +T

silverbullet

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2004, 01:10:38 PM »
Just an update on my Wavlab dvd-a experience. Although not completely pleasant I'm set now.

Last night I burned another wavlab dvd-a disc in a slightly different way but still following both instructions. The new Pioneer dv-578a-s still did not play the disc. Although I was able to get a menu screen nothing came through audio. Still thinking it might be my burning techniques I took my two dvd-a discs with me today to a couple of high end stores in my area. The first closer store had high end Pioneer, Sony, and two other brands but don't recall them at the moment. High end components easily topping a grand I'm sure. Anyway, we tried at least four units and none of them played my discs. So I went down south to another town. They had more of a selection. They had a $1500 Denon deck that did play my disc! although it did not fast forword or rewind it did skip from track to track. Another Denon 2200 model did the trick also lising for $599. The 2200 will soon be replaced so I grabbed the last one on the shelf for $499 with box, instructions and never used remote. Not sure it was a great deal but I'm happy with the Denon brand and I can go on learning new stuff. $525 was more than I wanted to pay. I get the feeling a lot of DVD-A players will have trouble playing Wavlab DVD-A discs.

edit: The Denon 2200 also seemed to fast forward and rewind but it didn't look like it was fast forwarding or rewinding very fast in the store.

If you have a player that plays Wavlab DVD-A disc then please list it here for the next newcomer :) I guess I should also mention that I was using DVD -R TDK discs. Seems like some other brands may be better or worse.

I picked up Peter Frampton Comes Alive DVD-a and noticed a couple of bonus videos that should be on the disc. I hope to next make a DVD-A disc with videos on it as well. Has anyone tried this yet?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 03:16:17 PM by silverbullet »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2004, 01:25:12 PM »

all dvd-a's i have burned w/ wavelab5a play in my cheapo piooneer.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2004, 01:51:21 PM »
All my DVD-A's burned with either Wave Lab or Disc Welder play fine in my Panasonic F85S and Toshiba 4960.

silverbullet

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »
There was an opened pioneer dv-563a for $70 with no remote at BB I'm kind of regreting I didn't test out now :P I don't think that would have had 6 rca outputs (one rca for each speaker).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 04:29:35 AM by silverbullet »

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2004, 03:22:23 PM »
There was an opened pioneer dv-563a for $70 with no remote at BB I'm kind of regreting I didn't test out now :P I don't think that would have had 6 rca outputs (one rca for each speaker). Is having 6 rca outputs for speakers very important? The last sales guy lead me to believe it's better to go that route into your audio receiver unit than using the dig coaxial output or dig optical output. Didn't make much sense to me since I get Dolby Digital sound from DVD movies with those same digital connections. What am I missing or is this a complete sales pitch? I'll be hooking up my Denon deck soon.

Just depends on which of the 2 has the nicer DAC in it. 

silverbullet

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2004, 04:50:51 PM »
Yah know I tried two other newer more expensive Pioneer models and my dvd-a discs didn't work. I'm going to have to test that demo model the next time I'm in BB otherwise it's going to bug the heck out of me. I'm also curious if it has to do with brand name DVD -R discs.   ??? Honestly, At the time I didn't try the 563a models because I read posts on the net about bug issues and that this unit would not play certain dvd-a discs  made by the latest authoring rev. I even remember telling the saleman that. Could be just a firmware thing that needs to be upgraded. Still for $70, what a steal if it works. I just have to keep telling myself the Denon 2200 unit is a better unit even just to make me feel better. There are better prices on the net but I don't mind paying a premium for the luxury of testing units from store to store to make sure I don't have to make more back and forth trips. Now, If I truely believed that ::) Beats staying at home each night ripping more DVD-A discs. :P

Has anyone added video to their DVD-A discs yet? sounds cool to do. Add some live video of a show as bonus stuff in addition to audio.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2004, 05:45:35 PM »
one thing to keep in mind; make sure that the units you're testing are capable of playing the kind of DVD you're using (DVD-R, DVD+R).  Some will only play one, not the other...
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

silverbullet

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2004, 04:29:11 AM »
Seems like most will play the -R discs. Some may even play the +R discs if it's not listed.

silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2004, 06:21:20 AM »
All my DVD-A's burned with either Wave Lab or Disc Welder play fine in my Panasonic F85S and Toshiba 4960.

How does that Disc Welder make the dvd-a discs? Are the files in the audio_TS folder or the video_TS folder. I guess the difference being one dvd-a and the other dvd-v. Did I get the naming correctly?

silverbullet

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2004, 11:27:06 AM »
Can WavLab 5 create DVD-A discs with 5.1 surround? What software product will create 5.1 or 7.1 surround dvd-a discs?

I'm only getting sound from the left/front speakers with WavLab so far.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »
Can WavLab 5 create DVD-A discs with 5.1 surround? What software product will create 5.1 or 7.1 surround dvd-a discs?

I'm only getting sound from the left/front speakers with WavLab so far.

Yes.  Make sure your montage is set to DVD-A, not CD.  Then click the top left MODE button within the edit tab to select 4,5, or 6 channels.  Next import your 6 tracks.  On the far left hand side of each track you'll see your channel routings (default LF:RF).  This determines which tracks will play on each speaker.  If all your tracks are set to default, they will all play out of your left front/right front speakers.  To change the routings, double click on them & check the box of the speaker(s) you want that specific track to play from.  Once you've got it mixed they way you like it finish the burn like any other DVD-A. 

silverbullet

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2004, 05:31:21 PM »
Thanks yokel  +T  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 65 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com