Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD DVRs  (Read 6714 times)

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
HD DVRs
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »
I know hi-def DVRs are becoming popular in the US.  But it seems like most people get them through their cable provider.  I live in Asia, and my cable provider offers DVR service, but it's not from a set-top box, it's all recorded back at the cable provider's site and streamed back as kind of a video-on-demand option.

I would like to get a hi-def DVR box that I can not only record to - but one from which I can easily transfer HD files to an external source (probably an external HD).

Or would it be easier to just capture from the cable box to my computer via some sort of capture card?
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HD DVRs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
I know hi-def DVRs are becoming popular in the US.  But it seems like most people get them through their cable provider.  I live in Asia, and my cable provider offers DVR service, but it's not from a set-top box, it's all recorded back at the cable provider's site and streamed back as kind of a video-on-demand option.

I would like to get a hi-def DVR box that I can not only record to - but one from which I can easily transfer HD files to an external source (probably an external HD).

Or would it be easier to just capture from the cable box to my computer via some sort of capture card?

I use a HD TiVo as my DVR and transferring files to my computer is a trivial task.  TiVo remains a premium in the DVR world, as you are buying both a TiVo box and paying a monthly subscription to their service.  You don't technically need the service, but without it, you'd be unable to search for shows by name, etc.  I do like the ability to schedule shows from my iPhone/iPad, which most cable companies offer as well (in the US).  Good luck!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
I use a htpc running win7 media center and a ceton Infinitv card.

Runs great but only works with cable - only $2 per Month cablecard fee - it's replaced my cable box and dvr
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
I love my Tivo Premieres, but they are an investment.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com