Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Picking a portable for certain applications & practical use  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I am looking for a not so expensive portable that I can use for MP3 interviews and also for high quality recordings, using an external mixer.

Looking at a list on B & H, the options seem to be the Tascam DR-07, the Zoom H2, the Yamaha 2G, the Korg Mr-1 and the Tascam DR-1.

From this list I would eliminate the Yamaha for just recording 16/44.1 and the Korg for not having card recording.

I think the Tascam DR-07 might have better preamps and mics than the Zoom, and it's a bit lighter and smaller than the DR-1.

So maybe the question is making up my mind between the Tascam models.

Any recommendations for one or the other?

What is the maximum capacity for SD or SDHC cards on the Tascams? What brand?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Picking a portable for certain applications & practical use
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
I think the Zoom H2 is the better setup for recording speech with
the built-in mics than the Tascam DR-07 woud be.  However, the
H2 adds a lot of noise when you record using external mics.  If you're
using external mics, then the DR-07 would be my choice.

The line input of the H2 is good if you keep the signal from the
external preamp low to avoid clipping.  The line input of the DR-07
is also good, and less susceptible to clipping.

The Tascam DR-1 has an unusual 1/4-inch mono mic input that is significantly
quieter than the mic input of the H2 or DR-07.  If you're OK with recording
interviews with one mic, then the DR-1 would be a great choice for a few
dollars more.

Forum member Ozpeter has lots of experience with the H2, so I hope he
will contribute his views.

Flintstone

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
Any reason why you're not considering the Edirol R-09HR?

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »

Price only. :D

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:18:29 AM »
I think the Zoom H2 is the better setup for recording speech with
the built-in mics than the Tascam DR-07 woud be.  However, the
H2 adds a lot of noise when you record using external mics.  If you're
using external mics, then the DR-07 would be my choice.

It will not be exactly recording speech with this unit. When I mean interviews is simply that, with no further use for them. It happens that for a little extra money I can get a high quality recorder that I also need. If the H2 adds noise to external mics and the line input is sensitive, it's not for me.

It seems as the DR-07 is the one for me, as I guessed but wanted to check in case something was missing. 

The Tascam DR-1 has an unusual 1/4-inch mono mic input that is significantly
quieter than the mic input of the H2 or DR-07.  If you're OK with recording
interviews with one mic, then the DR-1 would be a great choice for a few
dollars more.

I don't see what the DR-1 would bring for the extra money. Is it better built?

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »

Price only. :D

Buy.com has it for only $299. I'm sure other retailers have it for around this price too. While I only have experience with one other recorder you mentioned (Korg MR-1), many of us on this board have had excellent experiences with the R-09HR. For my use (SBD patching), the R-09HR has an excellent ADC and excellent battery life with rechargables. The ADC alone makes the R-09HR worth a look. Others can comment on the preamps. The internal mics are definitely usable as well, though I have little experience there.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208710949&listingid=26860391&dcaid=17902

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
One question remains unanswered and it's not in the DR-07 manual: what flash cards should I use, both in brand and size?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
My top 2 are the Olympus LS-10 and Edirol R-09HR.

Personally I would *not* record the master as MP3 at all and, if it *has* to go to MP3, convert it later.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
"I don't see what the DR-1 would bring for the extra money."

There's the aforementioned 1/4-inch input that has lower self-noise than the 1/8-inch input.  The DR-1 also includes a Li-Ion rechargeable battery (price about $35).  The DR-1 has adjustable mic orientation (point forward when hand-held, point up when resting on a table).  The DR-1 has several recording effects (reverb and so on) and an overdubbing mode, both of which might be of interest to musicians recording their own compositions. There is no windscreen included with the DR-1, and the tripod mount is an optional accessory. The DR-1 is available for about $200 from several sources.

The DR-07 uses AA cells. You can substitute rechargeable AAs.  Its mic position is fixed pointing forward. The DR-07 has a socket to mount a tripod, and a foam windscreen is included.  The DR-07 lacks the recording effects found in the DR-1.  It's slimmer and lighter than the DR-1, so it's easier to carry in a pocket. I see the DR-07 is available for $165
through Buy.com
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210904588&listingid=41017685&dcaid=17902

The Tascam "tested media" list is available in PDF form here
http://www.tascam.com/i-3609-232-128-0-EFA3BCBB.pdf

I agree with others that the Olympus LS-10 or Edirol R-09HR (either about $300) will produce better results in most circumstances than the Zoom H2, Tascam DR-1 or Tascam DR-07.  This is a case where you pay more, but you get more, too.

Flintstone

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
First of all, thank you for a very logical analysis of the pros and cons.

There's the aforementioned 1/4-inch input that has lower self-noise than the 1/8-inch input.  The DR-1 also includes a Li-Ion rechargeable battery (price about $35).  The DR-1 has adjustable mic orientation (point forward when hand-held, point up when resting on a table).  The DR-1 has several recording effects (reverb and so on) and an overdubbing mode, both of which might be of interest to musicians recording their own compositions. There is no windscreen included with the DR-1, and the tripod mount is an optional accessory. The DR-1 is available for about $200 from several sources.

In fact, the DR1 is available for $222.45 from Buy.com. As $200 +/- 10% is my budget for this purchase, it makes the choice difficult. The Li-Ion battery is a good choice if you have another one available, and that battery was not easy to find last time I looked. Maybe now it's different.

But I do need to buy a second SDHC card, probably 16Gb, so I need to include this expense within my budget. The internal effects are not useful for me and would never use them.

The mic orientation might be interesting though.

The DR-07 uses AA cells. You can substitute rechargeable AAs.  Its mic position is fixed pointing forward. The DR-07 has a socket to mount a tripod, and a foam windscreen is included.  The DR-07 lacks the recording effects found in the DR-1.  It's slimmer and lighter than the DR-1, so it's easier to carry in a pocket. I see the DR-07 is available for $165
through Buy.com
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210904588&listingid=41017685&dcaid=17902

A great price indeed! I already have rechargeable AA NimHs that I can use with it, and the mics pointing forward should be fine, as I thought they were pointing sideways. For serious recordings I will always use an external mixer, so the line input is the one I am more interested in.

The Tascam "tested media" list is available in PDF form here
http://www.tascam.com/i-3609-232-128-0-EFA3BCBB.pdf

Thanks. There are two 16Gb types listed there: a Sandisk and a Kingston. Any reason to pick one over the other?

I agree with others that the Olympus LS-10 or Edirol R-09HR (either about $300) will produce better results in most circumstances than the Zoom H2, Tascam DR-1 or Tascam DR-07.  This is a case where you pay more, but you get more, too.

Maybe so, and recently the Edirol was my choice. But my budget is very limited this time. Also size and weight are a factor, as I plan to use the DR-07 as a backup when doing direct to video location audio. I can carry the Tascam in the Shure FP-33 pocket or even in the shoulder brace.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com