Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR07 and DR100  (Read 19501 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Tascam DR07 and DR100
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
At the Winter meeting of NAMM in Anaheim, Tascam has announced two new portable WAV recorders.  The first is the DR07, which appears to be a slimmer version of the familiar DR-1.  The DR07 street price will start at about $200. 

The second recorder is the DR100, a WAV recorder that has XLR mic/line inputs with phantom power, as well as built-in cardiod and omni mics.  Street price is about $430.

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Tascam DR07 and DR100
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
At the Winter meeting of NAMM in Anaheim, Tascam has announced two new portable WAV recorders.  The first is the DR07, which appears to be a slimmer version of the familiar DR-1.  The DR07 street price will start at about $200. 

The second recorder is the DR100, a WAV recorder that has XLR mic/line inputs with phantom power, as well as built-in cardiod and omni mics.  Street price is about $430.

Images courtesy of this link from the Sound Professionals site :)

The pro version seems to have all the right features.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:36:34 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
Some DR-100 details at http://www.soundstore.co.nz/p-2708-tascam-dr100-portable-digital-recorder-coming-soon.aspx -

Handheld stereo digital recorder

·       Two XLR mic inputs with 48v phantom power

·       Built-in monitor speaker

·       Dual battery powered operation (BP-L2(Lithium-ion) and/or 2 x size AA batteries) allows both of long time operation and easily-available

·       Optional wired and wireless remote control

·       Four microphones - Two uni-directional microphones for high quality stereo recording and two omni-directional microphones for minutes recording.

·       Auto recording – recording is automatically started when the input signal exceeds a threshold level

·       Locate marker function

·       File divide function

·       Pre-recording

·       File renaming (Date/User Word)

·       Quick menu allows deleting or tagging a file at HOME screen.

·       Record delay – Recording is started few seconds later when you press RECORD key.

·       Auto track increment: Track is automatically incremented when file size exceeds the maximum file size setting.

·       Manual track increment

·       Tripod socket hole is standard

·       Soft case and wind screen are included
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:58:41 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »
It's a pity that "DR-100" is already a popular name for audio gear - anyone looking for details of the Tascam on the net is going to come up with a lot of wrong hits.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:06:37 PM »
From the Soundstore site in New Zealand:
"Record delay – Recording is started few seconds later when you press RECORD key."

I don't think they really are touting a delay in the start of recording as a feature!  Maybe they are referring to a pre-roll buffer of a few seconds' duration.  Or maybe they mean the delay in the start of recording is very brief.

Flintstone

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
From the Soundstore site in New Zealand:
"Record delay – Recording is started few seconds later when you press RECORD key."

I don't think they really are touting a delay in the start of recording as a feature!  Maybe they are referring to a pre-roll buffer of a few seconds' duration.  Or maybe they mean the delay in the start of recording is very brief.

Flintstone

Haha, I wouldn't consider "few seconds later" very brief! But yeah, I'm guessing they mean a few seconds before you press record key...meaning the pre-roll buffer like you suggested.  And I thought I had decided on the H4n...guess I'll have to wait for reviews to come out. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »
A delay in recording is useful to avoid the click of the button or other handling noise.  I think they mean what they say - especially as "pre-recording" is also listed as a feature.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
Nice
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
The Tascam web site has added information about these recorders

---------------------

DR100 web page:  http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-100.html
Owners manual:  not available yet
Dimensions 3.2 x 6.0 x 1.4 inches, that's about the same size as the Sony PCM-D50.
No weight estimate is provided on the web site yet.

I read somewhere that the DR100 runs on 2 AA batteries or the BP-L2 Li-Ion rechargeable battery, like the DR-1 uses.  It will be interesting to see how long this unit can record while providing 48V phantom power.

The web page mentions "analog limiting and filtering for great-sounding recordings," so maybe the DR100 will sound better than the DR-1.

---------------------

DR07 web page:  http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-07.html
Owners manual:  http://www.tascam.com/i-3716-232-128-0-00A7F9AA.pdf

Looks like the DR07 is very similar to the DR-1. 
DR07 dimensions are 2.2 x 5.3 x 1.1 inches, 4.4 oz with battery
DR-1 dimensions  are 2.8 x 5.3 x 1.1 inches, 7.34 oz with battery

The width is narrower because the DR07 uses 2 AAs instead of the DR-1's rechargeable Li-Ion battery. 
Also, and probably most important, no auxiliary 1/4-inch mic input

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »
I hope the DR-100 supports line in on the XLRs - It's marked as a mic in though.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
Digifish is right about the Recording Delay function.  Here's what the DR07 manual says

"This function allows the start of recording from the time of pressing the Record key to be delayed 10 milliseconds.  This is convenient if you want to avoid recording the sound of the record key being pressed."

You can choose to have Recording Delay on or off.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
I hope the DR-100 supports line in on the XLRs - It's marked as a mic in though.

According to this site:

The Tascam DR-100 Portable Digital Recorder includes ... 2 XLR Mic or line inputs allowing phantom powered microphones or balanced line inputs to be connected.

..not sure how much faith I have in that though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:32:48 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:13:01 AM »

According to this site:

The Tascam DR-100 Portable Digital Recorder includes ... 2 XLR Mic or line inputs allowing phantom powered microphones or balanced line inputs to be connected.

..not sure how much faith I have in that though.

From http://tascam.com/products/dr-100.html

The rugged TASCAM DR-100 offers high-end recording features to musicians and engineers who demand more from their portable recorder. It features four built-in microphones, two cardioid and two omnidirectional, with analog limiting and filtering for great-sounding recordings. A pair of XLR microphone inputs with phantom power welcomes pro-grade condenser microphones, and line in and out connectors are also provided.

The DR-100 includes a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery, but can also be powered by AA batteries or an optional AC adapter. A built-in speaker allows for instant playback, and the metal enclosure includes a tripod mounting hole for recording flexibility. A wireless remote control is also included for remotely starting the recording.

That reads as though the XLRs are not also line inputs...
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »
It looks to me as though the line inputs on the DR100 are not on the XLRs, based on the text and the input selector switch in the photo. I am still focusing on the PMD661 for it's XLR line inputs, since XLR line level inputs can typically take a signal 14 db louder than unbalanced inputs can accept before overload. No digital input on it either it seems, at least from what I can tell.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »
The DR07 looks like a simple redesign.  AA's, instead of lithium bats.  I like the new face, for it doesn't have the stupid FX button, that can be accidentally hit.  I would like to know if it can keep recording after it hits 2GB.  The DR100's info says it can.  Maybe the DR07?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:35:30 PM by spyder9 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com