Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What preamp and mics to get for LS-10 ?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline bandsthatjam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What preamp and mics to get for LS-10 ?
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
I have an LS-10 on order and I'm wondering whats and good inexpensive preamp and external microphone setup. I haven't been able to find much info with the LS-10 and external microphones.

I did a search on the comparable EDIROL R09 and found this set http://www.archive.org/details/telepath20070707akg451.flac 
Source: AKG451eb+ck1 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R09 (16,44.1k

The sound of the show is great. Are there any reasons why this mic/preamp combo wouldn't work with the LS-10?

Also-do I need to get two microphones to get optimal sound? Many thanks for the help.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: What preamp and mics to get for LS-10 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:07:09 AM »
Different makes/models of deck have varying analog input characteristics so what works well with one may or may not work well with a different model. 

A post I think to recall of one user's experience with LS-10 LINE input is it required a much higher input signal that most low costing preamplifiers running on 9 volt batteries supply, so while working well with one model of deck, a certain external preamplifier will disappoint owners trying same into LS-10. 

ONLY by doing bench input characteristics measurements of each model recorder and posting these results in a clear manner will anyone know for sure what is likely to compatible with LS-10 model of deck, unless resorting to the trial/error of different mic/preamp gear combinations working different type venues.   

While I've heard enough about LA-10 to not want to own one, if some kind person sometime sends me a loaner LS-10 for testing purpose, then we will know what might work OK with some certainty. 

Or we can continue as usual of not knowing short of just trying stuff out under different live sound purposes

See my tips page with links to tech reviews and threads discussing various old/new deck models at: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
Instead of getting all dramatic about bench tests, find others who use the device and ask about their gear chain.  Write to the taper who recorded that show on archive and ask what gain setting was used with the R09 so you know how much additional gain would be available if your device needs it.  Also, there are vendors who sell the LS-10 who are into taping.  They could comment on how their small preamps mate with the device. 

Really the only preamps you have to worry about not having enough gain are the home brew type designs.  If I were you, I'd borrow a standard unit like SD or Grace and try that to determine the range of gain you needs.  Your profile doesn't indicate where you live but you can probably find seveal tapers near you who would be interested in trying out that recorder with you.  If you are in the DC area, I have a V3 you can try.  I would be shocked if the SD unit couldn't drive your recorder.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
I may be the person GuySonic is referring to above. I bought an Olympus LS-10 and tried using it with Sonic Studios DSM mics and pre-amp.

My mic and pre-amp have worked fine with the Nagra Ares M and Marantz PMD 620, but didn't get good results with the Olympus doing tests at work. The sensitivity of the line input on the Olympus is very low. Even with everything on pre-amp and recorder set to maximum, you have to slam a door or shout into the mics from about 3 feet away to get the recorder to peak.

So it's actually OK for continually noisy situations - you never have to check the levels! I've made some good outdoor recordings in busy urban settings. I guess it would be fine for use at rock gigs too. But it's not much use for quieter situations.

Otherwise the LS-10 is a well-made machine with some good features. Would be interested to hear how you get on with it, bandsthatjam.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:51:39 AM by IanR »

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »
While I've heard enough about LA-10 to not want to own one, if some kind person sometime sends me a loaner LS-10 for testing purpose, then we will know what might work OK with some certainty. 

I'm afraid I'm not able to send you a loaner, but as I am considering getting an LS-10, I would really like to know a bit more about what you've heard. I currently have an R-09, but I think some of it's features are unsuitable for my way of doing stealth taping. Specifically, the hold button/input level buttons combination makes things hard for someone who used to love the PCM-M1 ;-)

BTW thinking of it, which maker of such recorders is going to be the first to copy that awesome little remote that I have for the M1, that has the levels on it...?
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

Also-do I need to get two microphones to get optimal sound? Many thanks for the help.

You don't necessarily need two microphones, but you do want at least two distinct (Left and right) channels for stereo.  That could mean a pair of microphones, or a single stereo microphone.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not able to send you a loaner, but as I am considering getting an LS-10, I would really like to know a bit more about what you've heard. I currently have an R-09, but I think some of it's features are unsuitable for my way of doing stealth taping. Specifically, the hold button/input level buttons combination makes things hard for someone who used to love the PCM-M1 ;-)

BTW thinking of it, which maker of such recorders is going to be the first to copy that awesome little remote that I have for the M1, that has the levels on it...?

Heard not much of anything really good or bad about the LS-10 from first reports except seemingly nice build quality and general ease of use.

In time, deck may prove to have uncommon reliability to rough handling in the field indicating a better choice over some other offerings of similar size/performance. 

For me lack of 24bit/88.2K rate, and reports of too low a line input sensitivity for most compact battery powered external preamplifiers makes the LS-10 far less desirable for my purposes. 

However, I certainly am interested in knowing how well the analog inputs of the LS-10 work for adjustable minimum/maximum input ability and noise performance.  In this way prospective LS-10 owners can know what types of uses has best chance of meeting their expectations.

As posted (somewhere) earlier, expecting a customer's R-09HR from Sweetwater (USA) for evaluation, and hoping for the best as this model does have 24bit/88.2K recording mode.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bandsthatjam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »
I'm going to see what I can do to meet up with some local tapers and test it out in the near future.

Here's a recording I did of a band called O'death here in Buffalo with the built in mics.

http://www.archive.org/details/odeath2008-05-18.aud.olympus.ls-10.flac16

Offline scottv

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
I never saw any make a recommendation for a preamp and external mics for the LS-10.  I am thinking of ordering one, and am looking for some suggestions here.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
What kind of budget do you have?  What music/venues do you plan to tape?

The original poster specified a modest budget.  If you are interested in something for less money, there are a several vendors here who offer low profile mics and preamps, the retail section has posts from most of them - from $200 to $800.  These often show up in the yardsale.  If you are starting out and not sure about a big investment, I'd recommend these.  Some of the vendors have loaner programs.  There are some examples in the yardsale right now.

If you have more to spend, the DPA4060s and MMA6000 are pretty widely used for low profile work and are well respected - about $900 used. 

If you would be satisfied using full sized gear, the options are limited only by budget.  Any of the preamps from Grace, Aerco, SD, etc will drive that recorder with any standard mic at the front.  Listen to recordings to learn what you like - everyone has different opinions on what combination sounds best to them.  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com