Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Exp w/ Microphone Madness Omni Mics  (Read 2826 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Exp w/ Microphone Madness Omni Mics
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
I am possibly looking to put together a jedi master recording setup.  Has anyone used the microphone madness Senn driven MKE omnis with a Microphone madness preamp into an R9HR or R9 with good results.  I would be recording loud rock music.  I don't want something that is going to overload or brick wall.........The type of stuff I  record is like Gov't Mule, Panic, Moe.  If this set up can handle those situations than I am sure it is good to go....Samples would be awsome to.....I would like to hear from someone with direct experience not, heard from a freind, who heard from a freind who.... ;D

Here are the mics in question:
http://microphonemadness.com/products/mmhlsomsenmi.htm

Here is the preamp:
http://microphonemadness.com/products/mmsterpreamh.htm

peace OOK
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:30:46 AM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Exp w/ Microphone Madness Mics
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »
Here's what I would do: use the 800 number to call them and ask.  No one would be better to tell you what their mics can and can't do.  I bought a pair of mics from them and am satisfied (MM-HLSC-1).  Just tell them what your primary recording goals are and what you would like to spend and away you go.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I was going to do that, but wanted to hear from someone who has used them.  I wanted to avoid the sales routine.  I figure someone on this board has had experience with them good and bad and wanted to get a feel for what realworld users think.

The MM-HLSC-1 that you use, those are the cards correct?
Did you use them with or without a preamp box? 
If not I assume the plugin power was suffient to run them without distorting?
What type of music do you typically record?

peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »
I only have MM lapel mics, both the omni and card.  I have heard some recordings with the MM Sennheisers and they sound good but seemed to lack some high end.  My lapels are the same way.  They are good mics but I usually have to raise the high end just a bit in post to be satisfied.

I don't know if many people here have used the MM preamps.  I can speak for Church Audio and Sound Professionals.  Both make very high quality preamps I am sure you would be satisfied with.

If you are going to record rock shows you might want to start with cardioids instead of omnis.  They are generally a bit more forgiving in those enviornments.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am looking for omnis.  If I start stealthing I will typical be way front where the music is the loudest.  I have a great open rig with all the caps. I just need a good jedi rig for small theater shows where runing open is more difficult and where I don't want people to know I am recording.  I prefer omni becasue they are more forgiving to head movement and are much more open sounding than cards.

I too once owned a SP set up with both cards and omnis...AT853...I loved those omnis..As a matter of fact the package I sold on the section about 1 year ago was back up for sale recently but the omnis were already gone or I would have bought the complete set back.  But then I thought to myself I just want to try something different.

peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I was going to do that, but wanted to hear from someone who has used them.  I wanted to avoid the sales routine.  I figure someone on this board has had experience with them good and bad and wanted to get a feel for what realworld users think.

The MM-HLSC-1 that you use, those are the cards correct?
Did you use them with or without a preamp box? 
If not I assume the plugin power was suffient to run them without distorting?
What type of music do you typically record?

peace OOK

HLSC-1 is a card setup, yes.  They worked well for me.  I ran them through a battery box into a SONY MZ-RH1 MD recorder.  The SONY has vg pre-amps and they are low-noise.  So, with the bb and the good pre-amps I never had a problem.  I used them in an ORTF setup in saloons.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline youngsbest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 04:37:31 AM »
I have a pair of those mics and have been very happy with them.

They are tiny, so good for stealth.

I just go mics, home brew battery box, line in on the R09.  Never had any problems with overloading or not getting a hot enough level. If you are recording loud music I don't see any point in getting a pre amp as well.

I have put various shows on Dime with MP3 samples, so you'll be able to hear what they are like

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
I ran my MM-HLSC-1 (Senn mke40 cards) with a MM preamp and it was way overkill.  There was no need for the preamp.  All my recordings brickwalled.  I switched to a battery box and have had no problems since.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
I have a pair of those mics and have been very happy with them.

They are tiny, so good for stealth.

I just go mics, home brew battery box, line in on the R09.  Never had any problems with overloading or not getting a hot enough level. If you are recording loud music I don't see any point in getting a pre amp as well.

I have put various shows on Dime with MP3 samples, so you'll be able to hear what they are like

The omni or the cards....?

I only want to get info on the omnis.  I am not looking for cards....

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline youngsbest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Exp w/ Microphone Madness Omni Mics
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »
Omnis

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »
I run the HLSC-1's with a 4.7k mod straight into the Marantz PMD620(mic in) for loud shows with great results and use a 9100 in the chain for quieter shows, and for what its worth the cards are way more versitile than the omnis, you can use them in just about any venue where as the omnis seem to really only do well in smaller type venues or if you stand right by the speaker stack

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
I have a pair of these mics, and have gotten some pretty good results.  They are tiny as hell, too, if you are trying to be inconspicuous.  Either run through an ST-9100 into a stock PMD620 or through a battery box (SP-SPSB-9) into a OCM PMD620...Nothing quite as loud as what you are talking about, but let me know if you want to hear some samples, and I can send you some songs.  I think I have about a half dozen shows with each configuration...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com