Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do with a manfrotto superclamp?  (Read 6484 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
What to do with a manfrotto superclamp?
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »

I've recently purchased one of these-- stud and all.  I'm having a very difficult time trying to conceptualize how in the world to get this thing to clamp onto a pole and provide a 5/8" male adapter pointing upwards.  I know a lot of your guys are using this clamp and are very happy with it, and I'd much rather find a way to turn this horizontal 1/4" into a vertical 5/8" than spend more money on the windtech clamp (which, no offense, just don't look like it would be nearly as meaty and serious).

So if you guys have links / advise / photos, I'd love to see it, cause I've got the clamp but no clue how to use it!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: What to do with a manfrotto superclamp?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:23:53 AM »
alternatively, put the locking end into the clamp, then use an Rapid Adaptor with a 3/8>5/8 adaptor over the end pointed up, thats how I use mine frequently. If you need pictures I can take some.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:14:27 AM »
alternatively, put the locking end into the clamp, then use an Rapid Adaptor with a 3/8>5/8 adaptor over the end pointed up, thats how I use mine frequently. If you need pictures I can take some.

That would be great actually-- thanks for the inputs, guys!
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
Or you can get an umbrella adapter to give yourself a right angle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546375-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_026_026_Swivel_Umbrella_Adapter.html

Just beware of weight restrictions in that case. Superclamps can hold something like 45lbs, but once you start adding connections, your weight limit almost always decreases (there just isn't anything that holds 45lbs out there). The 396b arm I have drops my limit down to like 14lbs. Normally doens't matter until you start using LDs or become the base of a tree branch.

That would be great actually-- thanks for the inputs, guys!

Here is terminating to a 3/8ths screw. Adjust your adaptors for 1/4 accordingly.

If any links break, the album is here
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »
Fantastic pictures, page!  I went ahead and ordered the extension arm though, I think that the extra distance from the mic-stand might come in handy.

Round two of "What to do with a Manfrotto superclamp"....

How in the world do you get from 1/4" to 5/8"???  I've been to three hardware stores and a photo supply store and each one of them went cross-eyed at the idea of such a thing. 

Any links to adapters?

Thanks!

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
Fantastic pictures, page!  I went ahead and ordered the extension arm though, I think that the extra distance from the mic-stand might come in handy.

Round two of "What to do with a Manfrotto superclamp"....

How in the world do you get from 1/4" to 5/8"???  I've been to three hardware stores and a photo supply store and each one of them went cross-eyed at the idea of such a thing. 

Any links to adapters?

Thanks!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535392-REG/General_Brand__Microphone_Reducer_Bushing_.html

You can mix/match, but thats an example. Surf around B&H for a while and you'll find selections (some cheaper, some not).

I ran my LD like that since it's shockmount goes straight out for about 5 inches, so I get roughly 6 from the stand. My SD setup I've got a 1/4-20 all thread rod (and 3/8-16 for use with the nano) that I could screw into the aux port and gain a similar distance.

If you get a chance, and if your going to put any serious weight on it, I'd personally consider the 3/8th stud. One less adaptor to fool with and a bigger bit to screw onto.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
^^^  here's one option for 1/4" > 5/8"....  there a few different styles, but they all do the same thing....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535392-REG/General_Brand__Microphone_Reducer_Bushing_.html

edit: looks like page beat me to it.....  he's a smart one!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
Be aware the mini extension arm does not lock into place.  Not that it's a big deal,
mine works fine.  The longer arms will lock into place and work nicely when clamped
onto a vertical pole (like a mic stand) but when horizontal they don't lock into the
position you want (not straight up/down).  I took the longer arm and hit the bench
grinder to make it smooth like the mini arm.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
Be aware the mini extension arm does not lock into place.  Not that it's a big deal,
mine works fine.  The longer arms will lock into place and work nicely when clamped
onto a vertical pole (like a mic stand) but when horizontal they don't lock into the
position you want (not straight up/down).  I took the longer arm and hit the bench
grinder to make it smooth like the mini arm.

Not sure what you mean by "does not lock into place".... do you mean that contrary to Gordon's reply, it won't fit into the superclamp?

page and yug, thanks for the links!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:31:51 PM by travelinbeat »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "does not lock into place"

It locks securely into the SC.  But it doesn't lock into specific angles of rotation, if that makes sense, like a hex-head would.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "does not lock into place"

It locks securely into the SC.  But it doesn't lock into specific angles of rotation, if that makes sense, like a hex-head would.

So on the mini-extension arm's stud bit that goes into the Superclamp, there is no hex-shape?  Is it only round then, and the only security locking it into the SC is the screw-down?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »
So on the mini-extension arm's stud bit that goes into the Superclamp, there is no hex-shape?  Is it only round then, and the only security locking it into the SC is the screw-down?

Correct, no nex shape on the end that slots into the SC.  See below for image.  It secures the same way as the hex-head right-angle / extension:  set screw + the safety rod (not sure what to call it...the silver rod that you have to push in to release the right-angle / extension from the slot).  It's a very secure connection.  (Though you should still use a safety wire for the whole clamp setup, in case it comes off the clamping surface.)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:13:45 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:24 PM »
Thanks for that clarification..... I'm now trying to cancel my order for the mini arm extension and get the other one!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546373-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_042_042_Extension_Arm_with.html

EDIT:  Tough to tell in this picture-- put this one does have the hex stud, yes?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:19:43 PM by travelinbeat »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com