Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what microphone ? For TECHNO  (Read 7013 times)

Offline tapasboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
what microphone ? For TECHNO
« on: October 05, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
Hello,
I would like to recording up predominantly in a club of Techno.
With my MZ-RH1 - what for microphone you would advise me. How should I go forward?

thanks

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what microphone ? For TECHNO
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 01:25:19 PM »
Hello,
With my MZ-RH1 - what for microphone you would advise me. How should I go forward?

thanks

Check out my cardioid mics they are one sale to TS members for $69.99 a pair.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »
honestly, you're probably better off asking if you can patch. If you offer the DJ a copy, you might be pleasantly suprised.
IME, the SPLs in most techno/house/dance clubs are extraordinary and the PAs are often far too overdriven. what you'd get from a feed off the mixer would be far cleaner and a truer representation of the DJ's performance.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
honestly, you're probably better off asking if you can patch. If you offer the DJ a copy, you might be pleasantly suprised.
IME, the SPLs in most techno/house/dance clubs are extraordinary and the PAs are often far too overdriven. what you'd get from a feed off the mixer would be far cleaner and a truer representation of the DJ's performance.

Good point its been so long since I have worked a rave I forgot what they do to a sound system :)

Offline tapasboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:36:29 AM »
Many dj's do not like it theirs set's are to be got... In addition, I would like to unique ones took up... More known DJ's allow not directly in Mixer to take up... This would be dream!

Questions is not in it ...: who has idea or how you would go forward? line in , Bass-roll-off ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:43:29 AM by tapasboy »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
Many dj's do not like it theirs set's are to be got... In addition, I would like to unique ones took up... More known DJ's allow not directly in Mixer to take up... This would be dream!

Questions is not in it ...: who has idea or how you would go forward? line in , Bass-roll-off ???

Line in bass roll off my cardioid mics and my st-9100 preamp would be very good $199.99 + shipping. good deal for you my friend.

Chris Church

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »
hrmmm. DJs I know and my experiences have been different... good luck.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:13:45 PM »

Line in bass roll off my cardioid mics and my st-9100 preamp would be very good $199.99 + shipping. good deal for you my friend.

Chris Church

I know its none of my business, but this guy is looking for advice, not an advertisment.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:06:39 PM »

Chris Church

I know its none of my business, but this guy is looking for advice, not an advertisment.

Terry

Its not an advertisement its a sales pitch, I believe as do many others on this board that my mics are very good. I know it sounds like I am just trying to sell my gear, but to be honest there is nothing in this price range that even comes close to the sound of my mics and preamp. IMHO, if there is please point the way. I do not need the extra business. I was only trying to help this guy out with a good price. I guess I can always count on people to say something negative, when I am only really trying to help some of you out with good prices. I guess I should overcharge like everyone else does?

Chris Church

PS... I am not ofended by your comments just disapointed that I cant speak my mind with out getting BS for doing so. If you dont agree my products are good thats ok. Why not insted of being criticale, RECOMEND SOMETHING FOR THIS GUY. Hey theres an idea! insted of wasting time being negitive, why not try and point him to some gear that will do the job he asked for? wow what a concept.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »

Chris Church

Terry

Its not an advertisement its a sales pitch, I believe as do many others on this board that my mics are very good. I know it sounds like I am just trying to sell my gear, but to be honest there is nothing in this price range that even comes close to the sound of my mics and preamp. IMHO, if there is please point the way. I do not need the extra business. I was only trying to help this guy out with a good price. I guess I can always count on people to say something negative, when I am only really trying to help some of you out with good prices. I guess I should overcharge like everyone else does?

Chris Church

PS... I am not ofended by your comments just disapointed that I cant speak my mind with out getting BS for doing so. If you dont agree my products are good thats ok. Why not insted of being criticale, RECOMEND SOMETHING FOR THIS GUY. Hey theres an idea! insted of wasting time being negitive, why not try and point him to some gear that will do the job he asked for? wow what a concept.

Sales pitch.  Yes, that is a better description. 

I don't offer a suggestion because I know nothing of the person's needs. 

And I'm have no qualms with your products.  I actually do appreciate your effort in providing high-quality gear to tapers in general. 

But you also know nothing of this person's needs and you offer to sell him your product right off the bat.  It gives the impression that you are more interested in selling your product than giving true advise.  That's why I'm being, as you put it, "critical".

Terry

PS  My advice for TapasBoy is to read the many stealth threads on the board.  I'm sure after some thought and self-education, Tapas can figure out what he needs.  And that may even be Church Audio products. 

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »

Chris Church

Terry

Chris Church

Sales pitch.  Yes, that is a better description. 

I don't offer a suggestion because I know nothing of the person's needs. 

And I'm have no qualms with your products.  I actually do appreciate your effort in providing high-quality gear to tapers in general. 

But you also know nothing of this person's needs and you offer to sell him your product right off the bat.  It gives the impression that you are more interested in selling your product than giving true advise.  That's why I'm being, as you put it, "critical".

Terry

PS  My advice for TapasBoy is to read the many stealth threads on the board.  I'm sure after some thought and self-education, Tapas can figure out what he needs.  And that may even be Church Audio products. 

This is what he was asking for, I know something about his needs since he asked for help I helped him.
Hello,

thanks

dorrcoq

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »

I guess I should overcharge like everyone else does?

Uhhhhhhh, let's not get carried away now! ;D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 01:16:46 AM »

I guess I should overcharge like everyone else does?

Uhhhhhhh, let's not get carried away now! ;D

Not everyone  ;D just some  ;)

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 09:33:28 PM »
i dont know, Chris suggested a product based off his own experience, unlike guysonic who pimps on every thread, whether talking about concerts or lets say....ice cream.

Chris isnt overbearing.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 10:28:50 PM »
You may consider looking into some DPA 4061 microphones and a MPS6030 power supply for your needs.
DPA -  Danish Pro Audio is a quality builder of microphones that can handle high sound pressure levels.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 10:32:21 PM »
What is your budget?
Do you want to record openly, or stealth?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 01:10:28 AM »
i dont know, Chris suggested a product based off his own experience, unlike guysonic who pimps on every thread, whether talking about concerts or lets say....ice cream.

Chris isnt overbearing.

No if anything I am a ball bearing.  :P

Offline tapasboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 06:35:47 PM »
What is your budget?

Thank you up to now... Unfortunately, only a more favorable and then offers me "CHURCH", perhaps, better in what is more expensive - the consultation is not so good... What disturbs me that in a forum a shop assistant to fast something wants to sell - instead of calling just good microphones consulting ... or... I would like to take up SECRETLY... So everything very small and well coverable... The price plays first none rolls with several idea.
a, I am interested for tipps (what is the best for spefication of the capsules)
b, sound should sound "warmly" so far it is possible. c, I know to somebody him it can also encase in cable (-3.5 mms) solder...

Sorry for my terrible engl.

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »
type in your native language. you used an online translation tool, yes?

type in spanish.( i guess you are from spain since your name is TAPASboy)

What is your budget?

Thank you up to now... Unfortunately, only a more favorable and then offers me "CHURCH", perhaps, better in what is more expensive - the consultation is not so good... What disturbs me that in a forum a shop assistant to fast something wants to sell - instead of calling just good microphones consulting ... or... I would like to take up SECRETLY... So everything very small and well coverable... The price plays first none rolls with several idea.
b, sound should sound "warmly" so far it is possible. c, I know to somebody him it can also encase in cable (-3.5 mms) solder...

RebelRebel

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »
Chris is a good guy, you asked for a good suggestion, he gave it to you. I dont see what is "not so good" here..

What is your budget?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 06:44:51 PM »
What is your budget?

I hope I did not offend you, I don't really want to sell anything. If your looking for good and cheap, I have a great set of mics but there are many other manufactures that make good stuff too. Please check out Sound Professionals. It's just that I have used my mics for techno recordings and they sound pretty good. Please do not misunderstand me, I am not just trying to push my products on you, I have all the sales I can handle right now. So I assure you that is not the case.

Chris Church

Offline tapasboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »
Yes thank you, but only something to sell offer for 69.99 (not sell with another Device) - then I speak of " bass roll off " then somewhat is called of 199.99 ...???!!! I find this a little bit funny... ??? :-X :-\
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:52:37 PM by tapasboy »

RebelRebel

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
Yes thank you, but only something to sell offer for 69.99 (not sell with another Device) - then I speak of " bass roll off " then somewhat is called of 199.99 ...???!!! I find this a little bit funny... ??? :-X :-\
because one is mics only and one is mics and preamp. perhaps you need to read up more about mics and preamps before insulting a member in good standing here...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »

What we have hear is a failure to communicate. :)  What I was saying is you can purchase my mics alone for $69.99 or I will sell you a package for $199.99 for my mics and my st-9100 preamp, the preamp alone sells for $200.00 never mind the price of the mics. I can see where this all went wrong, I did not mean to offend you or sound like I was trying to rip you off. Things over the Internet sometimes get misunderstood. Good luck with your search for gear!

check out Sound professionals they make great stuff http://www.soundprofessionals.com Or check out Sonic Studios http://www.sonicstudios.com/ they can both help you with good gear. I was only trying to help you sorry for the confusion.

Chris Church

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 02:32:16 PM »
un-tsss un-tsss un-tsss un-tsss un-tsss un-tsss un-tsss
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »
because one is mics only and one is mics and preamp. perhaps you need to read up more about mics and preamps before insulting a member in good standing here...

Perhaps you just misread the poor Spanish > English translation... I'm sure he's not insulting Church, rather trying to understand how mics jumped from $69 to $199.

T

Offline tapasboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »
no no - it concerns to guess only a more favorable and then a more expensive. Not the same… I found it to improbably two different prices to receive. Whether with it the same results result. Think that is only wrongly understood.

peace… thinks it is only wrongly taken up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 04:02:00 PM by tapasboy »

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 07:00:49 PM »
I've recorded ALOT of techno over the past few years... w/ mics, direct patches, and matrix. Mics (as opposed to patching directly out of the dj mixer) does seem to add some "warmth" to the recording. IF you can, I would suggest standing in front of the PA with mics so more clarity is captured. In most cases, a pre-amp for the mics will improve signal to noise ratio and thus making a better recording.

The Mics... try to purchase something that is or close to full range (20hz ->20,000 Khz) cardiod condenser type that can handle a high sound pressure level like around 130 dB. Clubs are loud and bassy so you will have a distorted recording if the mics can't handle volume. Some mics will run off of the "Plug-in Power" (3-5v) on the MD, but most people use a battery box/pre-amp with or without bass roll-off to power them since they require more power to run.

Pre-Amp/battery box...  anything is better than the MD's Plug-in Power. If you purchase a pre-amp or battery box, use the line-in on the MD, not the red mic-in. Some people run a box that has a bass roll-off option so the mics do not distort at bass heavy performances.

I am using these as examples because they seem to the most popular. There are better set-ups out there, but that maybe something you need to research for your self since I have no idea what you're willing to spend. For instance, the DPA 4061's are around $850/pair new.

Mics(L,R): "AT853-SP" (not full range, but close: 30hz-20,000 khz) $210/pair USD

Pre-amp/battery box: "SP-UPS-1" w/ level control $79 USD

Cable: 1/8" -> 1/8" gold mini-trs 1ft $15 USD

Grand total: $304 USD +S&H

The Church Audio equipment maybe something to consider since it's $199 for the Mics AND the pre-amp/batterybox. Not sure about the specs on the mics, so I can't list that info for you, but here's some photos:

In addition to a fair price, I have heard good things about the Church Audio Mics and pre-amp/batterybox:

I just finished rolling over my first show taped with the Church Audio rig and i LOVE these.   ;D

Thanks again Chris. ;)

Check my thread on these in rig pics: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71254.0

Chris was good to deal with overall and I would buy from again....his mics are solid and the st-9100 is very nice :)  great toys

-Kevin
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline taperted

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • Brainfroot Productions
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
Kevin gives good advise here. I am a DJ and he has been taping me for years. Its all in how much you want to spend. Clubs have all kinds of elements. Like I spin at a club in Syarcuse that has speakers all the way around the dance floor. I occasionly like to play tracks that bounces around the room. Hard to capture on tape. What kind of club is. This will make a difference in your purchase. Compressed PAs or old club style. Some times you need a brighter mic when recording on those old speakers. Or in the newer clubs you need to cut the wicked low end down a little (those are the systems I like to bump) Who are you recording and where. Blessings!!
~ted
Aud:AKG C3000B-> Edirol UA-5 D-Mod-> Optical-> NJB3 or Sony MZ-NH1
Aud:Studio Projects C4-> Edirol UA-5 D-Mod-> OPtical-> NJB3 or Sony MZ-NH1
Aud: Patch set up RS A/D-> RS c/o converter-> Sony MZ-NF610
Digi Cam: Sony DSC-P93
Mini DV: Panasonic PVGS31

Live Recordings- http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Ted%20Hissin

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 12:28:26 PM »
Kevin gives good advise here. I am a DJ and he has been taping me for years. Its all in how much you want to spend. Clubs have all kinds of elements. Like I spin at a club in Syarcuse that has speakers all the way around the dance floor. I occasionly like to play tracks that bounces around the room. Hard to capture on tape. What kind of club is. This will make a difference in your purchase. Compressed PAs or old club style. Some times you need a brighter mic when recording on those old speakers. Or in the newer clubs you need to cut the wicked low end down a little (those are the systems I like to bump) Who are you recording and where. Blessings!!
~ted
hahaha, I was waiting for you jump-in on this. Some dj in Toronto is spinning who he wants to record. Sounds like he can't patch into the dj mixer so he wants to stealth it. Not sure about his budget, I just jumped it and threw out my 2 cents.

-K
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com