Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/48 playback question  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Looney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
24/48 playback question
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
Sorry, Even as I am geekified, i seem to be clueless...  Thanks

How do i get my 24/48 .wav files to play thru my stereo?

Recorded with Edirol R09

Yamaha RX-V1800
Toshiba HD-A3 dvd

Audition 3.0
Nero (whatever the latest is)
LG GSA H55L cd/dvd burner

all are 24/96 capable.

Church Audio Cards > CA ST-9100 > Edirol R-09

"It keeps you fit......the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food...It's all good for you!"
Bon Scott 1979

Offline daco63

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.dcguitars.com
Re: 24/48 playback question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
Most USB interfaces only support 16 bit / 44.1-48 kHz, but there are a few which will do up to 24/96 over USB.  E-mu makes a couple, so does Edirol and some others.  You can see a few on this page, for example:  http://www.audiomidi.com/master.cfm?CID=329 .   Check the specs to see if they will do this over USB 1.1 or only over USB 2.0. 

If you happen to have a Mac or other computer with digital output (optical or coax), then you can get *much* higher quality playback by investing a few hundred bucks (or a few thousand  >:D) in a good DAC which will connect directly between your digital output and your stereo.

[edit: I was talking about USB interfaces and digi-out, but there are also PCI cards and Firewire...]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:43:50 AM by daco63 »
IN: AKG c480b + ck61 > DIY Canare/Neutrik > W+ UA-5 > laptop > live webcasting! (Carrick House Concerts on A3 Radio)
OUT: laptop > iBasso D2-Viper (rolled) > B2031a/AKG240

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »
if your DVD drive can handle DVD-A discs you can burn your 24/48 FLACs to DVD-A very easily with DVD Audiofile http://24bit.turtleside.com/DVD-Audiofile0.42win.zip
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline markr041

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
I do not understand why people recommend putting high-resolution audio files onto dvd-audio spec disks. Hardly any players now or in the future will play dvd-audio, and most computer dvd players do not. Hardly any computer software does this either.

However, the standard spec for audio on regular dvd's is up to 24-bit/96khz. So, one can burn a *standard* dvd with high-resolution audio files that will play on almost *any* dvd player - they almost all have dac's that convert 24-bit/96khz wav files to analog (yes, no flac, you have to have wav). You can google for software that makes regular dvd's with high resolution wav files (like audio DVD Creator). And, most new computers will play 24-bit/96khz files (Intel chips on motherbaords do this). So if you have a dvd drive on the computer and a modern motherboard, you can play regular dvd's with your high-resolution files. Yes, no 24-bit 192khz.

Have I missed something?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
I do not understand why people recommend putting high-resolution audio files onto dvd-audio spec disks. Hardly any players now or in the future will play dvd-audio, and most computer dvd players do not. Hardly any computer software does this either.

However, the standard spec for audio on regular dvd's is up to 24-bit/96khz. So, one can burn a *standard* dvd with high-resolution audio files that will play on almost *any* dvd player - they almost all have dac's that convert 24-bit/96khz wav files to analog (yes, no flac, you have to have wav). You can google for software that makes regular dvd's with high resolution wav files (like audio DVD Creator). And, most new computers will play 24-bit/96khz files (Intel chips on motherbaords do this). So if you have a dvd drive on the computer and a modern motherboard, you can play regular dvd's with your high-resolution files. Yes, no 24-bit 192khz.

Have I missed something?

actually quite a few newer players will play DVD-A including the Oppo line which has become popular among lower priced models. perhaps not something for the masses but there's a good chance that many here have players that will support DVD-A. and the program above will convert directly from FLAC which IMO is a nice feature as a taper
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline markr041

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:21:05 PM »
I do not think many people record in flac - flac is a way of storing the wavs in smaller files. So, you go directly from the original wav to the DVD. If the flac is a spec for DVD-Audio, then more recording in the same space, but I do not think that flacs are part of the DVD-Audio spec - the software just converts from flac directly. I guess I do not appreciate the virtues of flac, as storage costs (hard drive prices) have gone down so much.

In any case, its not the masses: I would like friends and relatives to appreciate good sound from 24-bit recordings at high sample rates; requiring them to get equipment that plays dvd-audio would prevent that, as that feature is essentially useless for them otherwise (unfortunately). They can now just play my 24-bit/96khz recordings on their regular DVD player or computer dvd drive. Now, it could be that only good DAC's are on players that have DVD-Audio, but that is another issue.

Anyway, I am not arguing not to go the (expensive, dead-end) DVD-Audio route, only offering an alternative that is often ignored. :)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
I do not think many people record in flac - flac is a way of storing the wavs in smaller files. So, you go directly from the original wav to the DVD. If the flac is a spec for DVD-Audio, then more recording in the same space, but I do not think that flacs are part of the DVD-Audio spec - the software just converts from flac directly. I guess I do not appreciate the virtues of flac, as storage costs (hard drive prices) have gone down so much.

In any case, its not the masses: I would like friends and relatives to appreciate good sound from 24-bit recordings at high sample rates; requiring them to get equipment that plays dvd-audio would prevent that, as that feature is essentially useless for them otherwise (unfortunately). They can now just play my 24-bit/96khz recordings on their regular DVD player or computer dvd drive. Now, it could be that only good DAC's are on players that have DVD-Audio, but that is another issue.

Anyway, I am not arguing not to go the (expensive, dead-end) DVD-Audio route, only offering an alternative that is often ignored. :)

Just because your Discs can be played in standard DVD players does not mean that the folks playing them are getting the full on 24/96. many of the DVD players out there only have 16BitDACs so while your disc may play it is getting truncated down. So you have a more universally playable disc but a soundcard or DAC must be able to handle the bit depths.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com