Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which rig should I stick with?

Milab VM-44 Link
JWMod460 with CK6X Caps and CK1X Active Setup

Author Topic: Please Help Me Decide On A Mic Rig  (Read 2093 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Please Help Me Decide On A Mic Rig
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:54:25 AM »
I'm losing sleep so I turn to the infinite collective wisdom of this list. 

I have JWMod460's and CK61 cards and CK63 hypers into a SD702.  I like the sound pretty well, but they're kinda bright directly into the 702.  In sampling more recordings on archive, I really like the sound of the CK1X through MK46 cables...it's warmer and spot on.  So, I picked up the active cables awhile back in hopes of finding CK1X or CK3X capsules.  Precisely ONE DAY after buying the Milabs, the CK1X capsules come available on the YS.  CRAP!  So, since I been looking for awhile and since I had the MK46 cables with no capsules, I decided to jump.  Thoughts were to run the CK1X's mostly and the 63's on the bodies when hypers dictate.

A couple weeks back, the Milabs get posted on the YS.  Damn, those things sound nice and the cost is roughly the same as the 460 setup.  Nice really warm sound and comes in an active setup.  Nice!!!  Problem is that they have no hyper capsule option.  Only available add-on caps are omni's at about $1k a pair...ouch!

Now I have this nice dilemma...two full rigs but I might only be able to afford to keep one.  I'm trying to figure out what I can do to keep them both, but ...

Sooo, which to keep? 

Keep in mind I'll be running into a 702 and with no external pre-amp.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:01:21 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Please Help Me Decide On A Mic Rig
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
i would probably go the akg route, but i am biased.  >:D

my reason, you seem to like hypers (i am not a huge user of them, but they are handy) and you have the option of getting regular 460 bodies if you want to warm up the sound without a preamp into the 702.

you can use the actives in some situations and always be looking out for additional ckXx caps.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:03:46 AM »
steve you may be the biggest slut I know ;D

what do your ears tell you to do? IMO at the price point you ar elooking at it mostly comes down to a matter of taste. all the mics are good they just sound different.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:25:16 AM »
steve you may be the biggest slut I know ;D

I know it.  I'm a whore and I'll sleep with any mic at least once.

Actually, it's a little less fickle that it appears.  What's happening is that I'm earning incrementally more and more money the longer I stay out on assignment.  I should be putting all of the money into savings, but screw that.  Besides, Cathy handles that side of our finances just fine (figuring out what needs to go into savings).  So, as I get a little more $$, I get a little more headroom to buy some nicer gear...only wish I had enough coming in that I didn't have to sell anything in order to get the nicer stuff, but this assignment isn't paying me THAT well.

Then after I buy some nicer gear with some extra $$, the whole process starts over again when a little more $$ comes avaiable.  I mean, who isn't always looking to upgrade their gear, right?  So this process has repeated itself already several times in the last year since I been over here in Slovenia.  Ha!

And so it goes.

The other thing about it is that I'm just having a damn lot of fun trying stuff out.  It doesn't cost all that much to turn it over...maybe the cost of postage and insurance and maybe I price my sales a little lower than what I bought the stuff for...but I consider that to be like an equipment rental fee.

Bottom line though is that I'm just having a damn bunch of fun learning about all this gear and fast becoming more of an expert because of having tried alot of the stuff first-hand.

Anyhow, Shawn, thanks for the slutty compliment!!!  Ha!

Steve
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:28:46 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »
The other thing about it is that I'm just having a damn lot of fun trying stuff out.  It doesn't cost all that much to turn it over...maybe the cost of postage and insurance and maybe I price my sales a little lower than what I bought the stuff for...but I consider that to be like an equipment rental fee.
I understand that. I'm pretty happy with my rig, but the temptation to seel it all and try something new grows stronger everyday. In fact after reading this thread I found myself thinking...

"I wonder how those milabs would sound in front of my v2. Maybe I'll jump on them if steve decides to unload them."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com