Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fun with Hypercards  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Fun with Hypercards
« on: December 15, 2003, 05:31:52 PM »
This last weekend I ran my brand new MBHO/KA500 hypercards for the first time ever and I'm happy to say the results have  exceeded my expectations! The shows are from SCI's two nights at the Paramount Theatre here in Seattle and if you've every taped a show there, you know this ballroom looks more impressive than it sounds! I taped SCI there about 2 1/2 years ago with cards and although the recordings from that run are nice, I've always wondered how much I could improve when it comes to cavernous arena type situations? Well, I got my answer and the difference is positively significant. I've used the MBHO cards for small venue FOB and some onstage recordings I've done in the past and they've been steller so I'm begining to wonder if that's the only time I should be using them anymore? I'm interested in hearing from folks who run cards and hypers regularly and the calls they make when deciding what they should run for particular situations..

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
Re:Fun with Hypercards
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 06:07:07 PM »
I like the sound of the AKG hypers better than the AKG cards... definately a more focused sound without a lot of extra crap.  Also, I really like the frequency response of the AKG hypers moreso than the other hypers, with the schoeps a close second.  I do not like the neumann ak50 hypers, but some people love 'em.  Never heard the MBHO's before, I'm not sure too many people run them.  

I find myself running hypers exclusively in arenas, and in crappy sounding rooms that are longer than they are wide.  I don't think the hypers sound good up close except in very large rooms; if I'm close in a small club or bar I feel like I have to use the cards.

+T for new toys!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 06:12:21 PM »
unless I am taping up close, out side or onstage I pretty much use my hypers all the time.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 06:44:39 PM »
unless I am taping up close, out side or onstage I pretty much use my hypers all the time.

Yeah, that's the distilled version of what I meant to say!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 03:51:53 AM »
i agree lee.....AKG
                          schoeps.........................................................................................................................................................................................

ak-50's (a long ways away)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 09:08:57 PM »
buddy of mine has the ka500 hypers, after some comparison tapes, i'd say they sound very similar in frequency response, wish i had the $ for a pair.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 10:16:20 PM »
some of my best tapes have been with my mk41's
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 04:42:30 PM »
For most mics I've heard I prefer the Hypers. (Except for great sounding rooms...up close)  Since I usually tape in shitty sounding rooms I think a pair of TLs are in order....the fixed card LEs, though they sound great, ain't gonna cut it.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 04:28:34 PM »
I like the sound of the AKG hypers better than the AKG cards... definately a more focused sound without a lot of extra crap.  Also, I really like the frequency response of the AKG hypers moreso than the other hypers, with the schoeps a close second.  I do not like the neumann ak50 hypers, but some people love 'em.  Never heard the MBHO's before, I'm not sure too many people run them.  

I find myself running hypers exclusively in arenas, and in crappy sounding rooms that are longer than they are wide.  I don't think the hypers sound good up close except in very large rooms; if I'm close in a small club or bar I feel like I have to use the cards.

+T for new toys!
I run mine the same way.  Although I recorded my roomates band in our small bandroom in charleston and ran the hypers but the tapes SMOKE!! I made a disc for them to give to the local bars and places they would play
481(3)>722

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 02:57:43 PM »
I have run my ka500 hypers exclusively since I got them in the summer of '03.  I too was blown away by the improvement.  I love those capsules.  I will make the decision to run the 200's when I am either up close or on stage, but, that will prolly be rare.

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 03:05:14 PM »
Me too, John.  I searched long and hard for a used pair of K500's but finally bit the bullet and paid in full for a new, matched pair. Best damn 550 bones I ever spent!  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com