Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Saving my recordings on SDHC

<< < (3/3)

daspyknows:

--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 15, 2019, 09:35:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: jerryfreak on December 15, 2019, 09:11:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 15, 2019, 09:05:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: daspyknows on December 14, 2019, 12:36:53 AM ---I only use my cards once.  Not necessarily for backup purposes as I store in the cloud as well as on my NAS array.  I use 16GB cards and figure if they ever stop making cards that work in my recorders I can reuse.  I have at least 100 by now so lifetime supply.

--- End quote ---

wait what? You only use your SD cards once? Why?...

--- End quote ---

if you think thats crazy, we used to use upwards of $10 per show on media back in the day

$10 buys you 10 shows worth of SDHC

--- End quote ---

That was necessary though. I don't see how one off SD cards is...

--- End quote ---

Cards are cheap.  2 reasons.  First I believe a lower chance of card errors on a new and fully formatted card and second, at some point they will stop making cards compatible with the recorders.  At that point I have a large supply of single use cards.  Considering back in the day I would pay $24 for 2 DATS to record a show.  A $16GB card costs $6.

NSL:

--- Quote from: daspyknows on December 15, 2019, 11:04:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 15, 2019, 09:35:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: jerryfreak on December 15, 2019, 09:11:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 15, 2019, 09:05:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: daspyknows on December 14, 2019, 12:36:53 AM ---I only use my cards once.  Not necessarily for backup purposes as I store in the cloud as well as on my NAS array.  I use 16GB cards and figure if they ever stop making cards that work in my recorders I can reuse.  I have at least 100 by now so lifetime supply.

--- End quote ---

wait what? You only use your SD cards once? Why?...

--- End quote ---

if you think thats crazy, we used to use upwards of $10 per show on media back in the day

$10 buys you 10 shows worth of SDHC

--- End quote ---

That was necessary though. I don't see how one off SD cards is...

--- End quote ---

Cards are cheap.  2 reasons.  First I believe a lower chance of card errors on a new and fully formatted card and second, at some point they will stop making cards compatible with the recorders.  At that point I have a large supply of single use cards.  Considering back in the day I would pay $24 for 2 DATS to record a show.  A $16GB card costs $6.

--- End quote ---

I've been using the same 2 SDHC cards for 8 years now and have never had an issue.  500+ shows.  Seems like a giant waste of money when it's not needed. Plus your recording gear is likely to fail before those cards become redundant

Scooter123:
I use a RAID enclosure. 

old and in the way:
Optical M disc . 1000 yr archive. Requires burner capable of burning m disc . OWC has them for 129 usd . Discs are available on Verbatim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version