Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone good with CoolEdit Pro? (using EQ to get the best sound possible)  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Hey all,

Taped Guns N Roses last night and it went pretty well.

I've fairly new to CoolEdit Pro and I only know basic stuff. I don't want to riun my recording by not really knowing how to make it sound good in CEP.

Can anyone here who is excellent at using EQ settings and getting the best sound out of the show help me out please??

I've included a link to download 1 song (6mb, 256kbps mp3). Would someone kindly have a go at making it sound good and email me or PM me or post here the settings you think I should use.

All I've done so far is normalize to 98% and lowered some of the loud pyro 'bangs' because they were really loud.

I'm looking for something thats well balanced. I want to hear the bass well so it stands out but not too much so its overpowering and I want to hear the high end stuff aswell but don't want a 'tinny' sound. Like a full mix really.

I would really, really appreciate it and credit will go to whoever gives me the best results (if you want credit given).

Many thanks,
Simon.

Sample: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6E9FF8290AFD42EE
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Wiggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
Simon, I don't know the first thing about CEP but I will say that when I got into this ridiculously expensive hobby I was using Soundforge. Didn't know the first bloody thing about it either. So I ran my recording through it and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked some more. Then I burned it to a CD and got in my car with no plan other than to drive around listening to my kickass recording.

It sucked.

So bad that I had to do it again. But all that tweaking was not in vain. I learned how to use Soundforge (reasonably well) and I learned that too much can be a dangerous thing. Now I just do the bare minimum to make my recording listenable, add some fades at the top and tail and then track it out.

Use your ears and keep your master. Do whatever sounds good and don't be afraid to try two different mixes. Keep some rough notes so that you know what you did and, before long, you'll start rockin' CEP like you're on autopilot.

Carry on....

Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
Thanks.

Thats how I got into learning the basics by just messing around with settings, etc... I can do reasonably ok, but I'd rather someone with better knowledge work out some sweet settings while I continue to mess about in my spare time until I'm confident that i can do a good job.

Also, those CMC-19 mics are excellent. I didn't take my battery box this time as I didn't have much room to hide it and I didn't know how tight security would be (it wasn't mega-tight but I almost got found out, lol).

Luckily I set the recording levels quite low and the end result is pretty good in my opinion (no brickwalling, etc...).

Many thanks once again for the mics, I'm very pleased with them and how they work.

:)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Wiggle

• Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
You're quite welcome, Simon.

(I love happy endings)
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

RebelRebel

check out my "audio reference material" thread in the "other websites" section of the board...itll teach you a thing or two.
Thanks.

Thats how I got into learning the basics by just messing around with settings, etc... I can do reasonably ok, but I'd rather someone with better knowledge work out some sweet settings while I continue to mess about in my spare time until I'm confident that i can do a good job.

Also, those CMC-19 mics are excellent. I didn't take my battery box this time as I didn't have much room to hide it and I didn't know how tight security would be (it wasn't mega-tight but I almost got found out, lol).

Luckily I set the recording levels quite low and the end result is pretty good in my opinion (no brickwalling, etc...).

Many thanks once again for the mics, I'm very pleased with them and how they work.

:)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
^^^ Thanks, I'll check it out.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
I have extensively tweaked your recording where can I send it to you?

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
I have extensively tweaked your recording where can I send it to you?

Please check your PM for info, thanks.

If you didn't get the PM - please send to: liquiddrumtheater_26 AT hotmail DOT com

I appreciate it and can't wait to hear what you've come up with.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:56:56 AM by Liquid Drum »
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com