Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure SM58's and SM57's  (Read 1455 times)

Offline cavernut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Shure SM58's and SM57's
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »
Someone brought up the characteristics of these mics, not necessarily recommending them for recording from a distance with.
I was just curious, has anyone ever used these mics for taping live shows from the audience?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shure SM58's and SM57's
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
Yes.  I used a pair of 57's in an XY array over a group of bluegrass players, say about two feet above them.  Forget it.  Not detail or fineness to the sound at all.  I usually use a pair of active cards in this spot so I know how good it can sound.  I just wanted to see how the 57's would sound.  Not good.

Maybe for a louder group they would work at a distance.  But I honestly have not heard of them in this app.  Plenty of them on stage in front of guitar amps and around drum sets.  58's are usually used for vocals.

The 57's and 58's have their own unique sound that many pop-rock performers like and can work their voices with.  I doubt very much the 57's and 58's will see much use in acoustic apps.  Let me change that to say in my limited experience I have never seen them in an acoustic app.  That does not mean it has not been done.  I just do not think it is a good idea or that it is common.

Any others here using 57's and 58's for acoustic work?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
theres a 91 (i think) phish show going around that was recorded with the 57s.

not great, but not horrible sounding.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »
don't.  not worth it at all.  It is not like they are cheap.  For the same money you could get a Chinese condenser that will sound a million times better.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com