Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery  (Read 20978 times)

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
You are right about the USBPre 2 specs being 5v/500mA... it's right there in the manual.  Not sure where I got that 400 mA number (I know I cut and pasted it from somewhere - I thought it was the SD web site).  Anyway thanks for the clarification. 

Am I correct in assuming this: 

If the 2 devices are spec'd at 2500 mA combined draw, but I'm only running phantom on one (the preamp), that the max will not be reached on both and therefore the actual current will be much lower?

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »
2.5 amps is a pretty hefty draw.  and I don't know about "ACTUAL CURRENT WILL BE MUCH LOWER"  The "much" part might not be accurate.  I'd guess you idea is basically right but how right would require testing of some sort.  Running phantom might only increase the draw a little bit or it could increase it a lot, depends on how the thing is designed to work.

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
2.5 amps is a pretty hefty draw.  and I don't know about "ACTUAL CURRENT WILL BE MUCH LOWER"  The "much" part might not be accurate.  I'd guess you idea is basically right but how right would require testing of some sort.  Running phantom might only increase the draw a little bit or it could increase it a lot, depends on how the thing is designed to work.

Well, I have one of the PB10800 batteries on the way, so we shall see. 

I realize I'm pushing the limits of the 2.5A max on the battery's output, but I'm encouraged by tonedeaf's experience running the MKii w/ phantom on with no problems

stevetoney

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »

I realize I'm pushing the limits of the 2.5A max on the battery's output, but I'm encouraged by tonedeaf's experience running the MKii w/ phantom on with no problems

Yeah, test it and see what you get.  If it doesn't work out for you and you have no other uses for it, let me know and if I can find some extra cash laying around I'd consider buying it from you.  I used the PB15000 battery again at Electric Forest Festival and I can't say anything bad about my experience with it.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
hey steve, thought u wernt aloud to carry any metal in your bag!!?  didnt u have a melt down awhile back!lol  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »

Yeah, test it and see what you get.  If it doesn't work out for you and you have no other uses for it, let me know and if I can find some extra cash laying around I'd consider buying it from you.  I used the PB15000 battery again at Electric Forest Festival and I can't say anything bad about my experience with it.

Thanks for the offer!  If it doesn't work out for taping, I may just keep it to charge phones and ipads for camping or whatever.  But I have a feeling it will be just fine for running the Pre2 and Tascam. 

I just got this thing today... seems pretty solid and it's actually smaller than I thought.  About the same weight and thickness as a DVD battery, and about 1/2 inch smaller in depth and maybe 3/4 smaller in width.  (I'll try to take some pictures later).

A couple observations:

- The power button is recessed AND you have to hold it for at least a second to turn it off, so it would be virtually impossible to turn it off by mistake... nice feature!

- It comes with a tip for the Tascam and/or the JB3, so no need to make a cable or buy an adaptaplug setup

The 5 USB ports are labeled as follows:

1: 5V/1.3A Universal
2: 5V/2.1A iPad/tablets
3: 5V/1A Universal
4: 5V/1A Universal
5: 5V/0.5A Universal

So, theoretically Port 2 will be fine for the Tascam, and the USB-Pre2 could run on any of the others (but I would run it on 1,3, or 4 just to be safe). 

Hopefully I'll have a chance to hook some mics up and run some tests in the next couple days.

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
hey steve, thought u wernt aloud to carry any metal in your bag!!?  didnt u have a melt down awhile back!lol  ed

LOL.  I'm just a daredevil and enjoy living life on the edge! 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »

No fire this year SO FAR ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:08 AM »

No fire this year SO FAR ;D

My gear bag has gotten bigger and bigger.  Need the extra space for the fire extingisher.

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I ran the Naztech PB10800 yesterday for almost 6 hours, powering the USBPre-2 and Tascam DR-100mkII.   (Exact setup was  AKG 460s/CK8s > USBPre-2 > Tascam.  SPDIF in to Tascam, recording at 44.1/24-bit.  Everything worked flawlessly, no heat or any other issues.   

The first light (the "80-100%" one) on the battery turned off after almost exactly 2 hours.  The second (60-80%) went off after 4 hrs.  The 3rd (40-60%) light had yet to turn off when I shut it down. 

So...

Looks like this thing will run for ~10 hours.  It should go all day at a festival, if I unplugged the Tascam and let it run off the internals at some point. 

Seems like a nice solution for anyone who just needs 5v power. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
I need one for my Sonosax :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Chuck,
I can't say I'd recommend it.  It has two big flaws.  1. You can easily hit the on/off switch on the battery and losing power during recod with a 680 very bad.  2. No metering of anykind so you have no idea how much battery there is still to use.   The one other draw back is a long charging time.    I bought it for 5V use.  I have used it as a first set battery but without meters I am not willing to run it long.  ANd I don't have time or patience to test it out.  Especially since I have 6 DVD batteries.

Kirk/Chuck:

I recommend buying a universal charger.  There's some learning curve associated, but not much really.  Once you get one of these a) you'll never need another battery charger, and b) you have control over charging so you can recharge your batteries as fast or slow as you want.  Again, some education required but nothing complicated at all.

Here's the one I bought and I love it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMAX-B6-Li-Po-Battery-Li-Po-Li-ion-NiMH-Univeral-Balance-Rc-Charger-6-Cell-C478-/360465381471?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ed69385f

I agree with the on-off switch being a PITA, but I've never let the lack of a meter influence my battery choice.  It's not difficult to get around simply by either doing run-time tests on your equipment or figuring out run-times knowing the battery capacity and doing the math based on the current draw of your device.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS:  Kirk, if you want to sell that battery, I'll take it off your hands.

Tonedeaf,

That ebay link is now dead. what type of charger were you talking about?

stevetoney

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
Tonedeaf,

That ebay link is now dead. what type of charger were you talking about?

It's called an Imax B6 charger, so just seach ebay and you should get a zillion hits.  Cost should be between $30 and $40.  I use mine to death and absolutely love it (although a couple of buttons have fallen off of mine, but I get around that easy enough). 

Like I said before, the manual is a little rough.  There's a small learning curve involved since basically what you're doing is taking all chargers and putting them into one. 

I can help you out if you decide to buy this charger and can't figure out how to use it, but you basically just use the left button to select the battery chemistry (Lipo, NiMH, pb, etc) and the other buttons to toggle through menu selections, which enable you to set the charge amperage and, in some cases, the charge voltage.  It's not completely random...the menu has presets based on specific battery chemistry, but you do need to know some what you're doing because it's possible to re-charge a battery too quickly and cause damage due to overheating if you choose too large of an amp setting for the specific size battery...read on because I address a couple of simple precautions on ways to prevent this later in this post.   

Anyway, the basic concept of the charger is that you first choose a chemistry.  The charger then has automtic pre-sets for the voltage based on the battery chemsitry.  You then choose the amperage based on the size of the battery.  For some battery chemistries, like lead, you have to know the number of cells in the battery in order to get a correct voltage.  Then amperage can be adjusted based on the desired re-charge time.  It turns out that SLA cells are approximately 2v each, so a 6 volt SLA has 3 cells and a 12v SLA has 6 cells...the number of cells in one of the menu choices when you're setting the charger up for SLA charging.  For any battery chemistry, you set whatever amperage you want (up to 5A) in order to determine how fast you want the batteries to re-charge. 

The four buttons on the charger allow you to step through all of the various menu selections and once you have the charger selected to all of the settings you want, you press and hold the right most button to start recharging.  The charger then tells how far along you are in terms of how many mah have been put into the battery. 

As it's recharging, you can tell charging progress...or how 'full' the battery is...as it's being charged if you know, for example, the capacity of the battery and how far dicharged it was before you put it on the charger.  So, for example, if you have a 3000mah battery that you ran dead the night before, you'll see the charger start slowing down in its charge rate as it approaches the 3000mah point.   If you ran the battery down half way, you'll see the charge rate start to slow down as the meter approaches 1500mah of energy input into the battery.  Also, as the battery gets closer and closer to being fully charged, the amps starts to drop.  It's awesome!

The manual's not totally useless because it does give some amp setting guidelines based on the specific battery chemistry.  I've only had one instance where I was too aggressive with selecting too high of an amp setting, but that was my fault and I was deliberately kinda playing around with the charger to see what degree of control I have with it.  That's when I connected the alligator clip connectors (you get a bunch of different types of connectors inside the box to accomodate a bunch of different battery terminal designs) onto either end of a single NiMH AA battery.  I put the charger on the NiMh setting which set the correct voltage, but I put it on a pretty high amperate (maybe 3 or 4) and it wasn't too long before the charge unit caused that AA to get REALLY hot.  In fact, I caused some of the external packaging to melt.   >:D ;D

I'm not saying this to scare you away from this charger, but just to caution that the amperage setting is everything in terms of how quickly or slowly the battery recharges.  Also, of course the bigger the battery the larger you can set the amperage because there's not as much internal resistance in a big battery.  In the case of that single AA, I was putting way too much current through a single battery.  True, I probably recharged this battery in like 10 minutes or less, but the internal resistance cause me to basically ruin the battery because of the heat was rejected since it wasn't absorbed as energy in the battery.  Battery university says it won't ruin a battery to put it on repeated fast recharge cycle, but it will shorten it's life.

Anyway, it won't take you long using this charger to get a feel for what your settings need to be and like I said, the manual provides guidelines and I can also give you my own guidelines.  However, the bottom line is if you're not sure, then when you put the battery on the charger, feel the battery every so often after starting to recharge.  If it gets too hot then your amp setting is too high.  Take the battery off and lower your amps.

All this said, you can also set the amp setting too low and it will never charge the battery.  A good rule of thumb that I've found for all of the battery chemistries I've used is to start with 1A. 

Oh, one more thing.  FWIW, I have NiMH, Li-ion, Li-Poly, and SLA/lead/pb batteries in my battery arsenal.  Although I tend to still use the stock charger on my wally world and li-poly batteries, I've used this charger on them all.  I generally use this most for my NiMH and lead batteries though. 

Did I mention that I love this thing?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:03:33 AM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com