Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about making a Ghost image of a pc  (Read 2146 times)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
question about making a Ghost image of a pc
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:03 PM »
So I'm kind of in a bit of a pickle, as they say, and I have a question for you IT guys who make/deploy computer images using software like Ghost (but not limited to that).

Hypothetically speaking, say you had a project come at you and you (now) need to install a piece of software on 46 lab computers, and with a rather tight deadline, like say a week. And you are down to 2 options of doing this - manual install via the install cd on each machine, or update your "backup image" for those computers and deploy the new "image". 

Now for the really silly question, but are there any experts here in that area? Yeah I work with Ghost and have for upwards to 10 years, but I don't know that I'd call myself an expert. But anyway.

Other items to consider:
said software clocks in at about 15 mins/per machine on the install
said software was too complex for something like SCCM to be used
multiple simultaneous (separate) installs could be run from a network location
existing OS on this hardware, before and after this update, is XP, but is slated to get bumped up to Win7 this summer
the existing hardware is aging and may be replaced this upcoming summer (by then it will be 4 years old)

If you were the tech faced with that scenario, what would you do? Update your image and deploy, and if so, how long do you think that would take versus hitting each machine and running the setup.exe Which do you think might get the job done quicker?

What I'm trying to gather really is time lines kind of information. How long would it take to update an image and deploy (to machines on AD) versus hitting each machine.

So in essence, I'm trying to prove my boss wrong on something
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:58:30 PM by EarlyMorningRain »

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: question about making a Ghost image of a pc
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
Hard to say how long a network cast would take for you without knowing the image size and your network topology and hardware, existing traffic, etc. How long does it take to cast w/o the new software? How much disk space does the new software take up?

If I thought I would be using the image with the new software going forward, then there's no question that I'd create a new image and capture/cast. If it's a one shot deal, then I'd have to know how long it takes me to capture and cast usually on my network.

You don't say which OS you're working with, but if it's Windows, do you have access to SMS? That's a really easy way to go if it's a one shot deal.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
If they're attached to a Windows domain you can push the software out using group policy.  The most straightforward is to copy the files to a network share and install them from there.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
edited to my post to clarify a few things.

But anyway, this image is around 12-14gigs I'm thinking (each image file is 2gigs in size and there are at least 6 files total)

Each desktop has a a 1gig ethernet jack, which goes to a 1gig connection in the wall

Normally it takes around 30-40 mins to multicast, one way that is

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
You still don't say if this is a one-shot deal with the new software or if it will be useful for more than one class going forward. You also don't say how much disk space the new software takes, but 46 machines on a gig-e network? No question that I would install, capture and cast a new image for the work I do. If the softwaret doesn't have a massive size footprint, I doubt that it would add more than a few minutes to your cast time. Can you do a custom install and make the footprint smaller?

Since you're on a tight deadline, test the sh*t out of your new machine w/ the new software so you don't have to do it again. Wait until everyone leaves so there's no network activity on the LAN to do the cast for best performance (can you remote in at night?). Do you compress when you capture? That might help too.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
sorry, not a one time use. I have the 2007 version now, and they wanted the 2010 version that literally just came out.

The install footprint clocks in around in the 3 gig range. Then the Help Files (if they need it) is another 1.5 gigs, give or take, which is a separate install yet.

This extra software more than likely would not affect mulitcasting times. Can't do it remotely either as you need to power up the machine and press F12 then boot off the ghost boot disc. And everything else needed post Ghost is rename pc,  reboot, join the domain. Maybe stuff like that can be set up to be more automated, but I haven't figured that out yet. Multicasting off hours can certainly be done though.

I typically do not do custom installs to make a smaller footprint, but rather I do custom installs and select all, so that way no one complains later on that some ad-in or something isn't installed.

Yes, I do compress the capture.

My boss in under the impression one could update/test/deploy a new image within 6-8 hours. I say it can't be done in that amount of time. That is if you want a good end product that is.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
I have no advise other than to demand more time and transition over people gradually so if there are any issues, not everybody would experience it.

good luck
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com