Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Recorder with best internal mics?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline NewTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Portable Recorder with best internal mics?
« on: August 28, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
Is there a portable battery operated recorder that is considered to have the best internal mics?

Thanks,
NT

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Portable Recorder with best internal mics?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Some potentially helpful threads: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185690.0 and https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182792.0 (you'll have to sort the wheat from the chaff in this thread)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:57:02 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
Is there a portable battery operated recorder that is considered to have the best internal mics?

Thanks,
NT

The Sony PCM-D100.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »

Thanks,
NT

None that sound good recording live music. Get mics.👍
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »

Thanks,
NT

I might be wrong but I think NT is running Schoeps MK5s?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »

Thanks,
NT

OP isn't asking whether internals are better than externals, nor asking whether to get externals.  Your response is off topic at best.  It's like if someone on a car forum asked what's the best four cylinder car and then someone else comes along and says "get a V6."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »

Thanks,
NT

OP isn't asking whether internals are better than externals, nor asking whether to get externals.  Your response is off topic at best.  It's like if someone on a car forum asked what's the best four cylinder car and then someone else comes along and says "get a V6."

That’s pretty much my intent. Because every other source seems to be internal. Pissing in the gene pool.🤮
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Dan33185

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 01:30:41 AM »
Whatever you get, it surely will never be up to some people standards. Get something you're comfortable with, and if other people don't appreciate your recordings, that's their problem, not yours.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
I guess budget must come into it.  Is the OP really asking what's best regardless of price, or what's best at a certain price point?  Also, defining "best" is likely to be pretty subjective.  Most accurate frequency response?  Lowest noise?  Best stereo image?  And so forth.  So not only budget but anticipated use comes into it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:05:29 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline heathen

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
Whatever you get, it surely will never be up to some people standards. Get something you're comfortable with, and if other people don't appreciate your recordings, that's their problem, not yours.

Absolutely positively agree here!   :clapping:

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
Some potentially helpful threads: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185690.0 and https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182792.0 (you'll have to sort the wheat from the chaff in this thread)

Thanks. Will check them.

NT

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »

Thanks,
NT

I have Schoeps Mics and love them. Looking for a a recorder with internals for on stage recording for another reason.

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »
I guess budget must come into it.  Is the OP really asking what's best regardless of price, or what's best at a certain price point?  Also, defining "best" is likely to be pretty subjective.  Most accurate frequency response?  Lowest noise?  Best stereo image?  And so forth.  So not only budget but anticipated use comes into it.

I was just asking if there was an overall portable that was accepted as best overall internal mics.

My friend who runs video places a ZoomH6 on stage to help beef up lacking house mixes and I was floored at how well it captured the overall band minus the vocals. My only experience with internals mics are from the Tascam DR-2d and they are not good imho. So again I was just wondering if there was a "this" recorder for internal mics. $$ Not an issue.

Thanks,
NT

Offline heathen

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
I have no first-hand experience with it, but I think this seems very intriguing for the use you have in mind: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h3-vr-handy-recorder

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »
My only experience with internals mics are from the Tascam DR-2d and they are not good imho.

Seriously?!? Nah, I have it on good authority that the DR-2d internals beat out anything the silly stand tapers use. German mics don't hold a candle...  ;)

On the topic, I have a friend who swears by the internals on his Olympus LS100. I have no personal experience using one, but he has shared some nice recordings with me. I am not sure if they are still in production, though. Probably some new old stock somewhere.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com